5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ipod, October 13, 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 120 GB Black 7th Generation (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I've been considering buying an MP3 player for a while and the range of functionality of the Ipod attracted my attention every time - as well as the large hard drive. However by the time I'd decided to buy the 160GB model had gone out and the new 120GB model had come into the market. No matter, 120GB is still a lot of memory and even after several years my 250GB computer hard drive is well under a quarter full, so I decided to go ahead.

It's a lovely piece of kit. The screen is very clear though it does take finger marks rather readily - you'll probably need a screen protector though I found that buying a case wasn't necessary.

Now as to volume - I should say that I'm already severely deaf and have to use rather unusual hearing aids with a special headphone plugged into them. I do have perfect pitch and found that I can actually hear the music very well though I have to adjust the volume every time I switch the machine on in order to suit whatever's playing. I'm a Classical music person and anything that's piano or less I have to turn the volume up - but as soon as you get forte, I have to turn it down! I did try plugging the Ipod into my aging Sony hi fi and it worked very well though didn't produce as much volume as the hi fi's speakers do. However the hi fi itself is starting to skip tracks so once the CD player has gone I can still play things using the Hi fi system by plugging the Ipod into it (which means I won't need to buy new speakers for a while)! I really like the way you can use the Ipod for different things like that.

The only charger supplied is via the USB cable so if you want to take your Ipod where you don't have computer access for charging you'll need to buy a USB adaptor. These cost about £10 so it's not really a big deal but I'd happily have paid an extra £10 or so to have it included in the box.

So far I've had no problems with Itunes or with syncing the Ipod although the computer decided to "hang" as it booted up the other day - just after installing Itunes. This might be worth keeping an eye on as it's a Windows XP machine. I should add that the Ipod charged up very quickly and that the charge seems to last very well.

I haven't yet tried the games or videos, but I can say that the player produces excellent quality sound and has had everything from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring to Purcell's Nymphs and Shepherds and Schubert's Fantasy in F Minor for 2 pianos thrown at it!! From that point of view I can certainly recommend it.

[Add comment]