Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding monitor, very compelling price, astounding value, November 21, 2011
This review is from: HP 2511x 25-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
Bottom line, this monitor is as good as you're going to find, anywhere near its price point. At the current Amazon price, it's almost criminal that you can get so much value for the buck.

Right out of the box, the 2511x looked like a 4-star monitor. While large and impressive, the color saturation was excessive, and it didn't seem very bright. For a few minutes, I was a little bummed out. Then I started experimenting with the controls, and this piece of gear suddenly went deep into 5-star territory. Here's what I did:
- turned down the red, from 256 to 210
- turned down the green, from 256 to 196
- turned down the blue, from 256 to 240.
That straightened out the color imbalance. Out of the box, the saturation is too high and it's way too red/green. Just turn them down to levels such as the above, to get to the "cooler" neutral or slightly blue-ish tint that is familiar to most computer users.
- then I set sharpness on 5 (maximum) from 4, and
- turned the brightness to max,
- and set the contrast up from the default 77-ish % to 92 %

Once I did all that, which took about an hour of adjustments and experimentation, the display was just mind-blowing. I used an iMac for five years, which is a great machine with a great display, and this is better.

The 25" size is a lot different than the typical 21.5-23". It doesn't sound like a big difference,but it's huge. 25" is a much, MUCH better size. It's not too big, and certainly not too small. 25" may be the perfect size for single-monitor office-work duty.

The unit is light, thin, and easy to move around. The angle adjustment is adequate -- you'll be able to adjust it to the right viewing angle, although it doesn't do extreme angles up or down.

One thing that external monitor newbies (such as I, a few hours ago) may need to know: If you're plugging in a laptop, you may need to go into control panel -> display -> change display settings -> display, and then tell it to use only the external monitor (monitor # 2). If your laptop has a max resolution of 1600x900, and you have it set (by default) to "display on both monitors", it'll only display on the HP at 1600x900, which won't look good. You need to get that resolution bumped up to 1920x1080, which won't be allowed until you set the display to Monitor 2 and thereby free it from the limitations of your laptop's display. Of course, if your laptop already displays 1920x1280, then you won't have this issue.

I saw a few comments about not being able to find the power button or other controls. I don't get that. It's a little button on the underside of the monitor, on the far right, just where my index finger expected to find it. The adjustment controls were also self-explanatory; I never opened the online manual. I hit the menu button and got right to it - colors, contrast, etc. Piece of cake.

The 2511x is an incredible value for the money - and would be a good value at twice the cost. I believe that this monitor will significantly increase my productivity and pay for itself many times over. Highly recommended. With the caveat that I'm using it with routine office software and writing-based tasks; whether its colors are "true" and the unit suitable for photographic and artistic usage is a whole different question which I know nothing about.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2011 5:17:58 PM PST
Joseph says:
I recently bought this and received my monitor today. Overall it looks pretty good. However, maybe I'm just picky, but...I noticed the top of mine is slightly darker than the bottom, it's subtle at high contrast, but this top-bottom difference is most apparently when I turn down the contrast to near 1%. When you turn down the contrast almost all the way, do you notice the top of the screen mostly black but the bottom being lighter? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 8:11:48 PM PST
Cynesige says:
Hi - I don't really see that on mine. If I squint, with the contrast set very low, I *might* be able to see a small difference. But at normal contrast levels, I can't see any difference between the top and bottom of the screen.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 12:49:21 PM PDT
Art4Media says:
I'm using a MacBook Pro that has 8GB RAM and uses NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 512 MB video ram- will this monitor be too big?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 7:33:41 PM PDT
TD says:
Please can u tell me if this product has dual voltage....can I plug it into a 220 volts ac source? Will appreciate ur responses thanks

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 5:51:01 PM PDT
Michael187 says:
I made the corrections you stated, and looks absolutely incredible!!! I just had to sell my 30" Dell U3011 and with your guidance the monitor is very good. Thanks so much! This is truely what a good review is all about.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:57:01 AM PDT
Cynesige says:
Michael - glad to hear my review helped you out. Sounds like you're having a good experience with the monitor, as I have.

Response to the technical questions above: Sorry, I'm not a tech guy. I don't know about dual voltage, and am not qualified to speak to whether the monitor would be compatible with another system configuration, although I don't see why it would be too "big" for a MacBook Pro. Good luck.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:37:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 2:44:35 PM PST
How long had you had this when you first got your monitor? Another reviewer reported "We purchased two (2) of these monitors for a software engineer and they worked great until about four (4) months in. With the first monitor, the digital ports went out - both the HDMI and DVI ports. We tried connecting it to multiple computers, both Mac and PCs - no dice. Two days later, the second monitor did the same thing." Was that a fluke, do you still feel about this item as you did a year ago? I am replacing a HP w2408h, which did the same thing, and on VGA is about to die as well. I hope HP has fixed this HDMI/DVD problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:55:43 PM PST
Cynesige says:
Hi - I've continued to use this monitor every day since I got it, often 6-8 hours a day, and haven't had any problems with it. Still very satisfied and impressed with this product. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:59:13 PM PST
Wow, that was quick! Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:25:34 AM PST
Joseph says:
To give you my input, I've used this monitor for about 1 year now, working in exactly the condition it was when I first got it. Clarity continues to be amazing, so is the color. Never had any issues since receiving it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›