5.0 out of 5 stars Best comfort and durability I have ever seen in a sandal, November 7, 2005
This review is from: KEEN Men's Newport Sandal (Apparel)
This is one of the most comfortable shoes or sandal I have ever owned. I first saw these on some ultralight backpackers I met in 2005, and they swore by them for comfort and strong enough to climb rough terrain. For a sandal, that just blew me away. I confess I have not used them to backpack, but I have used them on rough terrain and they are outstanding and amazingly "grippy". It has little nubs on the carbon outer sole that dig into or grip everything.
SIZING: I have read that most people find that they need to buy a half size larger than they do with other shoes, and that was my experience as well.
COMFORT: Tremendous arch support. The sandal has a wide toebox so that your toes are not cramped together, and the protective toe guard is great. I never stub a toe or catch a toe on anything with these, plus I can hide my ugly toes. It also has a little rise on the rear heel that cups your heel comfortably, but helps protect you against those people that step on the back of your foot in line. The sandal feels very secure once it is on and does not slip. There are no straps to fool with or Velcro to adjust, it has an inner lining that looks like the neoprene on a scuba suit, it stretches to fit. The rear strap does not hurt your foot. It has a no lace closure and you set it once, from then on it slips on easy. The footbed cradles my foot like no shoe I have ever seen. There is a little ridge on the inner sole that runs behind the toes and then in between your big toe and other toes, it turns out to add to the comfort of the shoe immensely. That ridge forms in a short time to your foot, giving you your own custom fit. With these shoes I find i can stand longer and walk longer.
GRIP AND TRACTION: It has an anatomical outer sole that is very grippy, with a nice athletic shape, it gives good traction on sand, rock, mud, you name it. It is not slippery on wet surfaces like the dock, and the sole does not leave any marks on floors. The tread does not hold dirt in any grooves to track indoors. It is great for water use, and can be completely submerged with no damage. If it gets wet,the material that wicks the water away fast.
ODOR: It has an anti-microbial treatment that takes away any germs, I do not know how long that treatment lasts though. They do not get sweaty or smelly like my Crocs do.
DURABILITY: I got my money's worth out of them for sure. When my H2's get dirty, I throw them in the sink, under the hose, or even in the washer and they come out like new. I wore these almost daily for 4 months straight with no evidence of wear. It has now been 4 years and I still use them more than any other shoe in the summer. I hope they are still made as durable as they were when I bought mine. This includes vacation, in which I am standing in line all day at theme parks and scrambling at the beach. These come in many colors. For a dressier sandal I also like the brown Dunham Moose Fisherman (actually designed by New Balance). These sandals were good enough to get me to buy two tennis shoes from the same company in the last 4 years, an in-town shoe called Austin and an ugly hiker called the Targhee II. In the end, I just can't say enough about these shoes, I highly recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2008 7:19:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2008 7:26:57 PM PDT
magellan says:
Fantastic review, thanks. I recently bought several pairs of Keen Newport H2 sandals, once I realized how great they were after getting my first pair, and can only say that everything you've said about how great they are is right on. At $90, they're certainly not cheap, but they're worth every penny. I'm quite active and they stand up to everything I can dish out in the way of wear, as othershere have said. After months of use they still look new. And the toe protection feature is great. Plus the comfort level is superior to every other sandal I've tried, including many comparable to or even higher in price than the Newports.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 11:25:25 AM PDT
Well, you sold me. Amazon should give you a commission for this review, which by the way is excellent. It is what product reviews are suppose to look like. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2010 12:14:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2011 4:57:32 PM PST
microjoe says:
RESPONSE FROM REVIEW AUTHOR: Thanks so much for the comments. As an update, can you believe my sandals are now 5 years old and look fine, and work great. No signs of wear on the treads. While they were high in price when I bought them, they made up for it by lasting me so long instead of replacing them. I also bought some tennis shoes from the same manufacturer, one is called a Targhee (for hiking), the other is the Austin (for street wear). The Austin is really nice on every aspect of why i like a shoe. The Targhee is a great hiking shoe, but the finish on it looked cruddy in no time as they used suede. I still hike in them though. I also like Clark's shoes, and Blundstone boots.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 5:18:37 PM PDT
Ethan M. says:
Quick question: in the last paragraph you say "H2". This page is not for the Newport H2, it's for the original leather sandal. Which one are you reviewing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 7:51:25 PM PDT
microjoe says:
REPLY: My review is 8 years old, so bear with me while I recall a few important points here. First, my sandals are STILL going, in great condition, no tears or heavy wear. Having said that, I understand that certain models of Keen shoes had some customer complaints (like the Targhee) over the last year on current models durability, so I don't know if they still make them as strong as they used to. The title for the shoe at the top of the page is "Newport", and my review is for the "Newport H2". When I wrote this review 8 years ago, Amazon had both of the nearly identical sandals listed on the same listing page, with a much smaller color selection of each and allowing you to pick whether you wanted the leather or synthetic. You will note that my original review popped up on several pages at Amazon for both these sandals, and Amazon is responsible for that as well. This happens with other products, such as a DVD re-released 10 years later in a different edition, different packaging, possibly remastered, but the old reviews are on the same page. I hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (409 customer reviews)

$94.95 $29.99 - $134.38