Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
898 of 1,106 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Caution - Has a serious design flaw, October 5, 2010
This review is from: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-the-Ear Headphones (Gunmetal Black) (Electronics)
I strongly urge anyone considering these headphones to go see them in person first.(like at the apple store)

I got these headphones in August after a coworker recommended them. He got his off Amazon and I got mine from the Apple store.
The speaker drivers themselves are great. Good balance of bass and treble across a wide range of music. The Crossfades seem well constructed and light. I use them only at work for about 4hrs a day and was happy for about a month. They stay on my desk when not in use and have never left the office

Unfortunately after a month I noticed the the inner plastic band where the metal adjustment bar that connects the phones to the padding the goes over your head had completely cracked on both sides of the headphones. If you look at the pictures Amazon provides, look at the 6th picture(for the gunmetal version - [...]). The cracks appeared right above the crossfade logo where the 2 screws secure the plastic housing on both sides of headphones(tops of the V). The plastic wasn't just cracked on one screw on each side, it was crack on all 4 screws. This leads me to believe that they had some over-tightening problem when putting in the screws during manufacturing. A day after I discovered the crack, one of the plastic cracked fragments actually fell off the headphones, making it impossible for the headphones to keep tension on the metal adjustment bar.

I was sad to see this issue, given I had just dropped $250 on these headphones a month earlier. So I went and had a look at my co-workers set. SAME exact problem, cracks along the plastic on both sides of the headphones in the same 4 places where the screw look to have been over-tightened. The plastic had not fallen off on his yet, but he was equally pissed off at the quality of manufacturing.

Seriously, the rest of the headphone is well constructed of metal and solid plastic.... but the one location that would get the most stress has the cheapest made component??!?!? I don't have a particularly wide head, and I've DJ'd for years and know how to take care of expensive headphones. What a shame that an otherwise great sounding set of headphones could be wrecked by a defective 50cent plastic part.

Thankfully the Apple store allowed me to return the headphones beyond the 14day regular policy. We went over to the iPod demo section in the store where they had 4 crossfades out for display to use with the iPod/iphones, and guess what!!! 3 of the 4 had the same exact issue.

I think these headphones are so new that this problem will start to become more prevalent in the next few months for folks who bought them early on. I don't think this is a hard issue to fix with a redesign of that particular part (using metal). However it's probably going to require folks to send them back to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:20:54 AM PST
Val Kolton says:

THIS IS PETE WEB PR AGENCY FYI, look at their clients and services:

"Sometimes you want your story splashed across the front page or leading the nightly news; other times you hope your story doesn't even show up in the briefs of the daily newspaper. You may want to encourage bloggers to talk about your product, or you may want to find the most cost-effective way to reach an extremely targeted business audience. It might be important to host a community meeting to tell neighbors about your project vision, or you may need a community education campaign to actually change public behaviors.

Whatever it is, Webb PR will recognize your needs, because we listen. And in a crisis, we're calm, collected and realistic. With 20 years under our belt, we've most likely been in a similar place before with another client. Nothing scares us. You tell us what your challenges are. We help you establish your communications goals, quickly get you organized, and produce what you need to sprint past expectations and report the measurable results."

Crossfade LP has been out for 3+ years and is now among the top-ranked headphones out of 20,000+ headphones on Amazon primarily because of our FANATICAL COMMITMENT TO QUALITY. We take this extremely seriously as professionals, consumers and DJS depend on our products to work for years. We consider LP/LP2 the "workhorse" of the headphone industry that sets the standards in quality.

As you can see from the reviews, only a FEW people have had this problem out of the 100k+ units sold - it was very isolated in the first production run of 2,000 units. We fully back Crossfade LP with a 1-year warranty and a IMMORTAL LIFETIME 50% OFF PROGRAM. Rest assured, our six-star support team is there to back you up in the event you need anything.

Even though this only happened to a handful of people, I will share the "C.A.R.", or Corrective Action Report we did to improve reliability that now passes Military, MIL-STD-810g, test standards. On the first few units, some screws were "torqued" too tight. We implemented controls to make sure this does not happen and also changed the material to be even stronger. The reason a few at Apple store had the crack was because they are so tough that they were on display for MANY MONTHS vs most competitor plastic headbands that crack quickly and are replaced every day/week. In fact, we wanted to change the colors of the display models when they eventually broke, but most never did! Again, they were the first units before the improvements in torque/materials.

You can buy in confidence that the Crossfade LP will withstand much more abuse than the average headphones. Many DJs, including AVICII, EDX, Funkagenda, Norman Doray, Morgan Page and Kim Fai have used a single pair for years, 5+ nights a week (some up to 1000 gigs). My brother and co-founder of V-MODA is an active pilot in the military, so we truthfully get to beta-test in real-life military scenarios.

Survives 70+ drops from 6' on concrete vs 5 of plastic headphones
Survives bending+twisting the headband vs 0 of plastic headphone headbands
Survives 1 million bends of the cable+plug vs industry average of 10,000 (100x)

View this video testing the Crossfade tank-like durability:

As a family owned company, "we put our money where are materials are". Your word of mouth and reviews allow us to make superior products with the highest quality metals, materials, ergonomics and innovations.

Internally, our motto is "V-MODA products can only fall somewhere between excellent and perfect".

Thanks for your support!

Val Kolton
[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 1:26:27 PM PDT
crzrman39 says:
Thanks for the terrific informative review on a serious problem. You would think that the manufacturer would find this defect. Amazon customer reviews can save us so much disappointment and "hassle".

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 11:36:51 AM PST
Thank you soo much ! im glad to know this defect. perhaps the good side for me is that i spent barely 120$ on these headphones. but il see to it if thers a way i can loosen the screws or something so that i dont have the same problem !

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 1:08:52 PM PST
Tushar says:
i have a pair now, where exactly does it crack? i just wanna be sure, i cant really discern it from the review. Just wanna make sure i can use the warrnaty if so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 1:18:46 PM PST
Pete Webb says:
It's the inner(The side that touches you head ) V- Shaped plastic part that has says crossfade LP and has the R and L stamp on it (Held together with 2 screws). It's also the part where the speaker wire comes into the maint body of the head rest.
I noticed the cracking on either side of those 2 screws that secure that plastic part.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 11:30:27 PM PST
Tushar says:
after a few weeks? ill reply if i have that issue, thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 10:58:00 PM PST
Farzin says:
does it highly effect your listening? or comfort, once the cracks are there?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 5:23:27 PM PST
Pete Webb says:
it doesn't affect the sound directly. In my case the plastic part actually fell off after I used it a few more times once it cracked. The metal strip that connects the speaker cup to the headband then wouldn't make the headphones fit snugly any more.
I ended up paying $50 more when I returned mine and got the Bower and Wilkins P5's, which are far more sturdy, better design, and far far better sounding than the crossfades.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 4:56:14 PM PST
Where did you get them for $120?

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 4:02:44 PM PST
JMN says:
Just tried these at the Apple store in Oak Brook. I'll stay away from my thoughts on the sound as I'm not an audiophile. I will however say that all the screws had this cracking he's describing.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 9:04:51 AM PST
Jujin says:
I went to look at these headphones at the apple store and I can confirm that they did have this cracking that the OP has described.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›