Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars This Printer is Easily Worth 3x This Price, You Can't Beat It., May 14, 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4206B002) (Office Product)
(note: I copied this review (my review) from when i reviewed it on canon's actual site. No point in making a new review, just don't want someone to think i'm a marketer or canon employee if they see this elsewhere)

This is my first and only All in one photo ink jet printer so its hard for me to compare to anything else. However, regardless whether or not I have something to compare it to, I can say that I am more than happy with my product.

I've had it for only a few days now, but i've already put it through you know what trying to test out numerous features and settings as well as using different products (trying different photo papers, etc.). So far, I can not find even one complaint. It prints brilliant photos ( I have noticed, photo paper brand makes a very noticeable difference as well), performs excellent scans and copying / faxing functions as well as it could.

I love the design of the mx870. When your not using it, everything closes up making a nice neat little package, unlike some other models where trays are popping out left and right. I also LOVE the "gun metal" color. It looks very sleek.

The wireless connectivity is just awesome and setting up the wireless connection was EXTREMELY SIMPLE. Took less than 5 minutes.

Another important note is that so far, the ink really seems to last. I've already printed NUMEROUS photos, all at max quality (most ink used), including many 8.5 x 11" photos (which use a lot of ink due to sheer size), and the ink levels still say they are full!!!! Maybe too good to be true, hope its not a faulty ink level indicator lol (I doubt it).

Quality seems great. They made it very functional. When you open the printer to access the print head and ink etc, a handy little kickstand pops out and keeps it open for you to free up your hands. There are handy little red lights that light up when you install ink correctly. I guess I do have one complaint in this area though (if I HAD to nitpick); when your done placing something to scan and you go to close the bed, at first glance there seem to be some nifty "gas shocks"(?) that gently let the bed fall back down. This is a great and convenient idea, HOWEVER, not implemented entirely well because they work great right up until the last inch or so of closing at which point they "give out" and the bed slams shut. It's possible mine could just be defective. Either way, its really a small complaint because I just gently assist the closing with my hands anyway, no big deal.

The on screen display is well suited, and easy to use. As gimmicky as it sounds, I even like the blue light up WIFI logo when you're wirelessly connected, just sort of looks cool.

Finally, the included software is really good considering its simplicity. I have photoshop CS4 extended which will obviously blow any other photo tools out of the water. HOWEVER, i still constantly find myself using the included software instead! This is because it has really SIMPLE/QUICK but at the same time EFFECTIVE tools such as face smoothing. Just click a button, and the program automatically finds faces and helps smooth out wrinkles, or other imperfections. It's quite a noticeable improvement, sort of how Nancy Pelosi was airbrushed for that magazine cover and she looked 20 years younger. It may sound cheesy, but once you use it and see how simple it is, I can't imagine printing photos without it.

Now this isn't a complaint, just something I can hope for in the future. Having a wireless printer is handy, but it would be even more AMAZING if Canon could come up with a way to make the fax wireless. I don't see how this could be hard. Maybe wirelessly send the fax to the computer and have the computer dial out using the internet? Another option would be, considering most people have digital phone service nowadays through their modem, the printer could again wirelessly send the fax to the router which is already connected to the modem containing the phone line for digital phone service. With today's technology, having the fax be wireless as well should be AN EASY problem to solve. This would make their printer TRULY WIRELESS and would be a class leader (though, I must say I would buy a whole new printer just to have such a feature, which is bad for my bank account).

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to be as descriptive as possible and cover all angles for any people considering this printer.

One final note. Before I settled on this printer, I must have researched and compared other all in ones for 3 days or more. In the end all that research pointed to this printer, and now that I have received it and tested it, I can confirm it. Other potential printers included "somethingpro 8500" (not allowed to say actual name, but you get the idea). That thing is more than 2.5 times more expensive and lacks many of the mx870's features. Point is, not only is this printer great, its VERY WELL PRICED. I would have paid twice as much as or more after testing this thing out. Can't believe I picked this thing up for only (not allowed to say here, but i assure you its a really great price when compared to similar products) with free shipping (shop around and you'll find it, substantially lower than MSRP).

If you need an all in one, BUY THIS CANON. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. YOU WILL WONDER HOW YOU EVER GOT BY WITHOUT THIS THING, AND WITH ALL THE MONEY YOU SAVE OVER ITS COMPETITION YOU CAN BUY ENOUGH INK TO LAST YOU THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!!

(as overly positive as this review seems, I PROMISE YOU I am NOT working for canon. I normally don't even review items, but when I'm this pleased I want to spread the word. ENJOY!)

PROTIP: From my experience so far, get the printworks gloss photo paper over HP's 5 star version. Its cheaper, and identical images come out noticeably better on printworks. Can't speak for other finishes i.e. matte or semi-gloss, but the gloss is much better. I also have not tried canons line of products, but intend to next.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 6:50:42 AM PST
Thanks for your review, however, for us novices - hooking up the wireless connectivity is NOT "EXTREMELY SIMPLE".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 5:02:57 PM PDT
dee says:
Great review and I bought it!!! Awesome printer!!! I agree with everything you said!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2011 8:07:37 AM PDT
I don't consider myself a novice, but I still can't get it to connect wirelessly. Did you get it figured out? I even called tech support.

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 9:21:15 AM PDT
The Wireless Fax (detail-checking Catherine Delfino's bright idea)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~
First thanks to Catherine, in addition to her excellent review, for her fully-thought, detailed suggestion to "make the fax wireless" (and further, please read her). Trying to expose and check it (if I understood correctly):

The Fax system (Latin "fac simile") succeeded so well because it was carefully built to conveniently, easily and efficiently cover, down to details, the entire journey of the information to convey, from the original scan to the final print, including the inbetween conversion to analog voice-like signal, able to be transported onto the then most available network, the (analog) phone system.

The (newer) IP phone system aptly converts the (analog) voice signal, from a microphone or a fax, to a digital signal that will be sent through the digital lines (and back).

So what is to do is just:

- transmitting (both way) the digital image signal between the scanner or printer, and the computer or router or modem, which all existing connections already do (including wireless, more versatile than USB or Ethernet).

- converting this digital image signal to an analog voice-like signal (and back), according to the (existing) specifications of the fax system. This step (to be done in the OS or in a driver) is mostly already defined, the remaining work to do should be limited.

- converting that fax sub-system's (analog) voice-like signal into an IP phone sub-system's digital signal (and reverse), according to the IP phone specifications, which are existing.

Each of these steps being already (or nearly) mainstream and fully standardized, the assemblage Catherine proposes should be easy to implement by any printer, OS, router maker.

Versailles, Sun 10 Apr 2011 18:21:15 +0200

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 9:23:00 AM PDT
Links to Printworks Gloss Photo Papers
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The papers Catherine Delfino suggests are

- Printworks High Gloss Photo Paper (00590) (also reviewed by Catherine)
- Printworks Soft Gloss Photo Paper (00619).

Versailles, Sun 10 Apr 2011 18:23:00 +0200

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 6:35:23 PM PDT
Philipp2 says:
If Michael Merlin is trying to inform us that the wireless fax to computer to internet fax is there and working, he went way over my head.
I have been looking for a solution that would easily fax thru the internet such that it could be received by a normal fax machine. This would allow those of us who have dropped our landline in favor of cell phones to send faxes.
I did figure out how to send long distance faxes using our local-only landline and my cell phone. (Transfer all cell phone incoming calls to the desired fax number then send a "local call" fax to your cell phone.) Remember to cancel the "send all calls" when you have completed the fax.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 8:25:13 AM PDT
G. Lawrence says:
Phillip, look into eFax. There is a monthly fee, but it allows you to send and receive faxes right to your email through the internet. You get a true fax number that you can give clients and you can send faxes to other fax numbers, all from your computer. It works great.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 12:06:11 AM PST
J. Calderon says:
!!!!!!!ATTENTION BUYERS!!!!!!!BLACK FRIDAY 2011!!!!!!!
CANON Website has this printer on sale for $79.99 w/free shipping.
$120.00 off their suggested retail price.
Sales goes on until November 29th