5.0 out of 5 stars You haven't converted yet?, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Apple iMac MC812LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I have been a life long Windows guy. I love Windows, even to this day. I was plopped in front of a computer when I was about 5 years old the first time, and the computer that I was sat in front of was a Windows machine. Now, 23 years later, I can say I've honestly spent my whole life using Windows machines, and loving them. I even have a Windows 7 machine that I'm still really into, because Windows 7 is just a phenomonal OS, and in my opinion Microsofts best version of Windows yet.
I honestly never had the need to even consider buying an Apple computer, especially with the extremely high price tag and the elitist attitude that "Mac people" exude. I just figured it was all hype and people needing a way to be different, and feel special. But then I started trouble shooting computers on a daily basis. Mostly Windows machines, honestly, and I just got tired of dealing with them, and the issues they had. I came to realize that Windows machines have a learning curve for most people, and if a person hasn't really been taught to do things the right way on a Windows machine, they were going to have a whole host of problems. They are so many things you have to watch out for, and most people simply don't have the skill to do basic fixes on computers because, hey, if you have an IT department, they can fix it. To be honest, I feel that way about cars. I can do the most basic things, like change my tires and oil, spark plugs and the most basic things. I know NOTHING about what goes on under the hood, and I don't care to. I'll pay the guy who knows what to do, and who will do it the right way. And I feel that way with my home computers. I'm not going to troubleshoot computers all day long just to find out that I have something to fix at home.
So, I started to do some research and I started to look into Mac's. I liked what I read, but found it all too good to be true. No viruses? Come on, seriously. Any computer can get a virus. But the fact that there isn't a large population of Mac users means that bad guys will do less to target Mac users because the numbers simply aren't there. If you're going to fish, you go to the pond that is full of fish, not the one with few fish. So I liked that aspect quite a bit, honestly. I loved the look, and the visual appeal of both the machines themselves and the operating system itself. I mean, look at the thing. Is there a cooler looking computer? Of course not! As for the fewer crash claims, I figured I would have to try it out myself.
So I bought this machine. I've had it for two months. I couldn't be happier. It meets every computing need in the most easy and satisfying way. It literally delivers in every way they promise. The OS is so simple, and easy to use. I honestly think if you sat someone who had never used a computer before in front of both a Mac and a Windows machine, they would have a much easier time using the Mac. This goes back to that awesome OS. OS X Lion is easily the smoothest, most visually attractive OS that I've ever used. Adding to its awesomeness is the fact that it is incredibly simple to control and manipulate. If you are Windows user, the switch should take maybe a day, at the most. Seriously, its not a big switch at all. Things are labeled different, and the Launchpad is your start menu, but there is also an Apple Menu. If you want to adjust system stuff, you click the button that says system preferences. You don't have to navigate to the control panel, or right click then click anything. And from there you can control most everything you need to do, and its simple to find everything. You want email? Just use the Mail app that comes preinstalled. After you link up your accounts you can have all of your email in one spot, without leaving your desktop. You don't have to log on to your email website. I know you can do this on Windows machines using various programs, but Microsoft doesn't make it as simple. Its just the truth. Then you have the Launchpad, which is so damn cool it happens to be one of the coolest things about the OS, in my opinion. You open it up and all of your programs and utilities are right there. You want to make a folder of only your music apps? You click and drag over another music app, name the folder what you want, and then drag the rest to said folder. Now you have all of your music apps in one tidy place. Again, you can do with on Windows one way or another, but it is no where as simple.
Aside from how the operating system looks and feels, it actually performs better than it looks. Compared to Windows, it seems like a fun OS. Windows is straight business, and is designed to get stuff done. Period. OS X Lion is fun, and makes you want to come back and play around with it. It also is hard working, and intuitive. While waiting for a new Canon printer from Santa this year I hooked up a five year old HP printer we had been using on my Windows 7 and XP machines. I hooked up the computer to the printer via USB cable and OS X went right to work, loading its own drivers for the printer, and then telling me that it had located more update versions of the drivers for OS X online, and then asked if I wanted them. All of it on its own. That type of thing is perfect for someone who doesn't want to deal with diving deeper or working at all basically to get things done. Perfect. Seriously, if you're not completely computer literate, get a Mac. And that has been the take home over all experience, I'd say, from using this machine. People who want a simple, fun computing experience, and have some cash to burn, and don't want to deal with the usual Windows fare should almost definitely make the switch over to a Mac. And if somehow you're reading this review and you don't have a computer at all, get a Mac. It is compatible with all of your stuff, or most of it, and its a much better experience overall.
I'm completely a Windows fan, but I'm an honest guy, and I call things how I see them. This iMac is the smoothest, slickest and most badass machine(overall, not just specs) I've ever owned. It also has the best operating system I've ever used. If you have the money, make the switch. You seriously haven't converted yet? If you don't, rest assured Windows is a real strong second place finisher, and Windows 7 rocks. But it is not an Apple, and if you get a chance to use a Mac, you'll see why.

[Add comment]