5.0 out of 5 stars A catalyst.., November 10, 2009
This review is from: Eating Animals (Hardcover)
This book was a catalyst where I wasn't looking for one. After the first 35 pages a light bulb started lighting up...and I feared my life was about to change. I've never written a book review, but after reading what Jonathon learned in his 3 + years of researching factory farming, I had to tell others to read it. He provides serious, horrific and real information. I never knew about factory farming until I read his book and googled 'factory farming' on the web. It was all over from there. I started watching those videos on what we do to animals-the ones we don't want to see-and I could not stomach another bite of an animal again. I loved meat, ate it easily 3xday for all of my life, grew up near those green pastures in northern California where cows graze all day. Wow. Was I disconnected and fooled...

What I felt, was that he did not preach about not eating animals. He presented information that I could personally relate to and grasp. For me, Jonathon felt like a messenger...where many have failed to bring light to what humans are systematically doing to animals every moment of every day. He provided very important information about 99% of the animals I used to buy and eat for my family and friends. I had no idea that the US alone consumes 10 billion animals PER YEAR. I finally woke up. One chicken has 2 wings(that they never use)--how many chicken wings come in a basket at a restaurant-6? 12? 24? I used to throw meat away after getting full. I was throwing away a life-a wasted one who suffered in life and in death. What frightened me more about this book is why is an author bringing this info to me? Where are the ongoing news specials on this?

Jonathon's personal tone, statistical/historical data, research team, true accounts from the field, letters, etc., left me no choice than to agree with him. Of course, he is not a farm owner, hasn't worked on a farm, and can't come from a place of truly understanding 'farming'. And he doesn't shun farming, he actually helped me realize that the farming I thought ALL animals came from--humane ones--are actually a miniscule percentage of all farms. His writing is heartwarming, but gut-wrenching. His occasional wit about the insanity of factory farming made me laugh quietly, but kept me awake at night thinking & fretting.

Eating Animals forced me to realize the terrifying component of being lied to by these factory farms and the megacorporations that support them. I used to pay extra for organic milk & cage free eggs because I believed in Horizon Farms. I thought I was making a better choice for the animals. Ultimately, the author woke me up from a deep, deep sleep. As he eloquently presents about turkeys, how can we celebrate 'thanks' and 'family' or whatever tradition you have on Thanksgiving while the main course never saw the sun, felt the earth, a breath of fresh air, had his beak seared off with a hot blade and no pain killers, lived on top of thousands of other turkey's and their excrement, thrown into trucks for transport hundreds of miles without food or water, and never had one true moment of 'love.' If having a better understanding of what love means to you, read this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2010 9:21:40 AM PST
I'm a big fan of this book. I just wanted to correct a statement of fact. Animal agriculture is responsible for 40% more global warming than all forms of transportation combined, but its total contribution is around 18%. Both of these numbers are in the book itself.

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 5:29:00 AM PST
Congratulations on your vegan diet - if want some good science to back a vegan diet try reading The China Study by Dr T Colin Campbell - this is written by a guy who used to live on a farm.

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 1:59:07 AM PST
Bless you A. MOON for this outstanding review. And congratulations on deciding to go vegan. I went vegan 18 years ago after reading an article in an ethical consumer magazine, about how the dairy industry treated animals. I had already been a vegetarian for many years and thought my lifestyle was 'cruetly free'. Rude awakening! Especially painful for me since I owned a wholefood store and sold 'free range eggs' and 'sheep's yoghurt'. I decided that if I were to live in harmony with my own conscience I either had to turn the shop into a vegan operation or sell it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 9:14:41 AM PDT
A. Moon says:
Thank you, Joanna for your lovely post. Yes. I would have to say the dairy industry (and the fur industry) is what really pushed me beyond just not eating animals, but respecting them. It's the perception humans have of animals that frightens me the most. Once I opened my eyes, I could see how barbaric humans are to animals, even their own pets (keeping their dogs on tight leashes when they walk them so they can't even sniff the ground). And, dairy cows are not far from our own mothers. I read an article on a 26 year old cow, named 'Grandma,' in California who gave birth to a calf. It was really beautiful and telling. Anyway, sorry for my long reply. You and others give me hope, and I am so honored to get a post from you. You are a great spirit that truly follows your own inner voice. Keep listening ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 7:13:06 PM PDT
doglover001 says:
Wow, I am really inspired to read this book, I have just really realized what's going on in our country pertaining to food and I am so sad and sickened. It's horrible!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 7:13:24 PM PDT
doglover001 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 10:13:57 AM PDT
A. Moon says:
Thanks Maggie! Yes, let me know how it's going! I feel your pain and awareness! But, the end result of learning the truth behind Animal Agriculture will turn you into a more loving, conscious being. I was so asleep before! Just like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix! Almost 2 years without a stich of meat in my body and I feel great (but still sad over what is happening to all of those beautiful animals who are raised and treated like corn)...

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 7:00:17 AM PST
H. G. Scott says:
Thank you for this review. I was a vegetarian for five years until I became pregnant with my first child three years ago. I've been wanting to make the transition back to a vegetarian diet, but find it difficult with a meat-eating family. Your comment, "One chicken has 2 wings(that they never use)--how many chicken wings come in a basket at a restaurant-6? 12? 24? I used to throw meat away after getting full. I was throwing away a life-a wasted one who suffered in life and in death" was devastating. What a wake-up call. What monsters we become when we allow our appetite to dominate our ethics. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 4:11:23 PM PST
H. jewett says:
Thank you for your review!! I had to double-check to make sure I didn't write it myself, as I had nearly the exact experience, right down to eating 3 meat meals a day for my whole life. It has been two years since I read this book, on a whim, and my life was changed forever. Your review beautifully states what I have been trying to express to my friends and family ever since I went vegan (about 20 pages into the book). WHat a remarkable feeling it was to be awakened, to feel a peace and joy that I finally had made a connection between my actions and the creatures of the earth, and that it was in my power to change my behavior and finally know I am acting with my heart and soul, and hearing the inner voice inside me that I always had to ignore in order to eat meat. No single experience of my life has been as transformative as going vegan, although it almost felt like the decision was made for me. It was time. This book found me. And I hope it never stops waking people up.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 5:21:57 PM PDT
Exquisite review. It made me cry.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (577 customer reviews)

$25.99 $20.81