3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped, July 15, 2010
This review is from: Faithful Place: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed by this book. I so loved her first two, and The Likeness is still seared into my brain from last summer -- what I was doing (or not doing!) when I read it, where I was, how it felt to be inside that story. This one just didn't have the same effect on me. It was good, well-written, and I read it just as quickly as the first two, but I expected a whole lot more. To me it read more like a Jerry Springer-esque family drama than a crime novel, and whereas the first two kept you guessing up til the very end, this one I knew who the culprit was about half way through the book. Nowhere near as tightly plotted as the first two, and the Irish dialect really made me trip up a few times while trying to interpret what they were saying. I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2010 11:27:27 PM PDT
L. Abel says:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the same thing. :)

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 3:52:54 PM PDT
Leo says:

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 6:20:53 PM PDT
C. Fazioli says:
I totally agree! I loved the first two, and this one was a let-down. Definitely not as tightly plotted as the first two, and I also guessed who did it halfway through. Hopefully her next one will have her returned to form.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 8:47:52 AM PDT
C. Wright says:
I haven't had time to write a full review yet, but I agree with your quick synopsis. It was less of a mystery and more of a dysfunctional family novel, not that "different" is necessarily worse. What I really missed in this book was her elegant prose. While "In the Woods" definitely had issues with plot, what sucked me in and kept me reading was the way her words jump off the page like poetry. "The Likeness" was absolutely beautiful in this regard - the last paragraph still has the power to make me a bit misty-eyed. That elegance is almost completely absent in Faithful Place, with the exception of the prologue and the very last page.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 2:19:15 PM PDT
I, too, was dissappointed in this book as I had really liked her previous two. I think three stars it too high...I'd give it only 2, if that.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 2:21:46 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 2:49:48 PM PDT
ninja crepes says:
Agreed. Was going to review this novel...but you've already said it. The murder mystery portion of the book was a complete afterthought to the family dysfunction. It was engaging and well written in its own way, but not what I'd expected after her first 2 books. I could see pitch meeting...'how are we going to market this one?'

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 11:52:55 PM PST
Barry Orlov says:
I feel the same way. I read it just as fast, but instead of with fascination, it was with eagerness to feel a liking for what I have read and not the total disappointment of the book when I finished it.

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 6:03:13 AM PST
Agree wholeheartedly. I know these books are set in Ireland and authentic language is important, but surely Irish people don't repeat the same phrases over and over the way these characters do. Towards the end of the book I wanted to scream every time I read the words "sweet F*

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 8:03:23 AM PST
I was overwhelmed by the unrelenting dysfunction family theme of this book, it was one-dimensional and not subtle. Is profanity a substitute for imagination? I think so. A disappointment.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (486 customer reviews)

$11.30