4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TY-ER3D4MU Active Shutter 3D Eyewear (for 2012 and 2013 Panasonic VIERA 3D TVs) (Electronics)
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST50 60-Inch 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TV
Panasonic VIERA TY-ER3D4MU Active Shutter 3D Eyewear

I have had these glasses for about 2 weeks and have watched quite a bit of 3D content. I recently purchased a 2012 Panasonic Viera plasma set and I am very impressed with these glasses! They are active, so yes there is a battery in them but they do not feel heavy when you are wearing them. In fact, you nearly forget you are wearing glasses because the 3D content of a movie like "Kung-Fu Panda" or Transformers "Dark of the Moon" is so amazing! I say nearly forget, because your 3D field of view is slightly narrower while you are using the glasses.If you turn your head too far in either direction you will see the frames of the glasses and it can cause a somewhat odd visual for a few seconds. No big deal.

The battery stays charged for a long time, I have only charged mine up once. I recommend a USB Hub in the near vicinity of your system so you can charge up multiple pairs of glasses simultaneously. I use a PS3 with a hub attached and it works fine for charging up the glasses and multiple controllers, but the PS3 has to be on.

In summary, I would like to add this is my first 3D TV and my first plasma TV, so I am still getting used to everything. Apparently these glasses are not backward compatible with earlier Panasonic units, so be aware of that. Overall I am extremely happy with these glasses and I would happily recommend these to anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the 3D world. I would take the warnings about eye fatigue, etc. somewhat seriously though. After the Transformers movie I was ready to step away from the TV for a bit to get my eyes re-adjusted to the "real world".

***UPDATE***
As of last Friday, one pair of glasses will not charge. The indicator lights for a moment and then goes out and the glasses will not power up. I believe this problem is battery related, but it could also be the switch. I will update this review with more info as I figure out what is wrong. I am beyond the 30 day return period so I am thinking about ordering a replacement LiPo battery. It's tricky, but it is possible to remove and replace the tiny 40mAh battery. The other pair is working fine and holds a charge for days, even with 2-3 hours of use per day. I am very disappointed that these failed after only a few months. I wonder where they were manufactured? Any guesses?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 3:23:44 AM PDT
mistercoughy says:
The instructions clearly state on page 3 that charging the glasses with any device other than a Panasonic TV will result in battery leakage or rupture.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:44:04 AM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
No one said anything about leakage or ruptures of the battery. The problem I had was strictly related to the battery not charging from the TV. Turns out one of the battery wires was pinched by the frame. After carefully repositioning the wires, the problem was solved. And by the way, the battery is identical to the LiPo batteries used in countless other consumer products such as PS3 controllers and bluetooth headsets and the glasses properly charge using the chargers / ports for those products.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:07:15 PM PDT
mistercoughy says:
OK, cool, glad your problem was solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2013 8:13:22 AM PDT