5.0 out of 5 stars A Scientific Review to the Study of Near Death Experiences, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Near-Death Experiences as Evidence for the Existence of God and Heaven: A Brief Introduction in Plain Language (Kindle Edition)
I was impressed by the approach Steve Miller took in "Near-Death Experiences, As Evidence for the Existence of God and Heaven, A Brief Introduction in Plain Language."

Mr. Miller admits he's a skeptic and so approaches this controversial topic scientifically, but he writes simply enough that a layperson can understand. I appreciated the plethora of resources referenced--if I wanted to pursue further study, I have access to the latest information in the back pages of this book. A person could spend months or years going through the references--exhaustive in detail for those who are academically inclined.

While I have not read extensively on this topic like Mr. Miller, I have read a couple of books, but I had no idea NDE's are so universal. I always considered the topic exclusive to Western thought--more specifically, a Christian worldview. Now my interest has been piqued to learn more. Mr. Miller has taken a wide approach to this topic--and left the reader to come to his own conclusions.

If you are a researcher on NDE--you need to read this book. If you work in the medical field with terminally ill patients, you need to read this book. If you are a skeptic, you need to read this book. If you have any interest in what happens when you die--and all of us are going to die--you need to read this book.

"Near-Death Experiences, As Evidence for the Existence of God and Heaven" leaves the door open for more study, more questioning, more pondering, and more pursuit of what happens to the brain when a person has been declared brain dead. This book almost raises more questions than it answers--good questions that need to be addressed--like why a blind person can see in a NDE, or a deaf person can hear, or how a person later can describe in exact detail a procedure in an operating room when he had no brain activity.

While I have never had a NDE, I've had a couple of paranormal experiences with people in my family who have died. There is no doubt my deceased father visited me on his way to heaven (I am a Christian). I did not know he had died until about twenty minutes later when my brother called me and gave me the news. It explained what had just happened that at the time was a complete mystery.

God gives us questioning minds and some events almost defy scientific explanation. May we be willing to embrace the spiritual component--lest we miss the message given to us by those who have returned. Almost all NDEers are changed by the experience--most are more appreciative of ordinary things, "more forgiving, more tolerant, and less critical of others...more compassionate and caring."

As a Christian, I find that fascinating because we know God is a God of love and death is universal. What greater message could come to us from the grave than to be more loving toward our family and others? It begs for an answer, what happens spiritually? How could people's lives be so profoundly changed when they return if they didn't have a spiritual experience? These are questions that are difficult to answer scientifically. They are emotional, mystical in nature. I look forward to reading more on this topic from Mr. Miller in the future.

[Add comment]