4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, May 16, 2011
This review is from: LG 47LK520 47-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I previously bought an LG 42LD550, used it for a few months and was quite happy with its quality, but the 42" screen size was a little too small for my living room, so I decided to get a bigger TV instead. The LD550 has better features than the LK520 -- its internet application was one thing that attracted me, but it requires an adapter which doesn't come with the TV, so I never got to test it. I guess I don't need this feature anyway, so I returned it and bought the 47" LK520, at the same price --- it was on sale on Amazon for about 7 hundred.

The shipping:

This model came out in March 2011, and I placed the order in April. I guess because it is relatively new, so I had to wait 4-6 weeks for the product to be shipped.

So after waiting patiently for over one month, my TV finally came. I was expecting the guys from the shipping company to open the box and let me check the TV, just like what they did when I bought the other LG model. I was surprised when they told me they couldn't open the box, and that I should open it on my own, and keep the box for a year in case I need to return it. This sounds a little weird, but I signed the delivery sheet anyway.

The assembling:

It only took a few minutes to assemble this TV. My brother and I laid the panel on my sofa bed with the screen facing down, and secured the base/stand with a few screws. It looks like the stand was made of some cheap plastic. I hope it's more sturdy than it looks.

The look:

This TV has a simple, sophisticate design. I like the matt screen and the glossy black frame. There's a small blue light on the lower right corner when the TV is on. Althought the remote control is easy to use, the design looks boring and cheap, some buttons/features seem like a duplicate to me. But I guess it's not a big deal, as long as it works.

Sound quality:

There are several sound modes you can choose from. It was set to "standard" by default, and the volume was low, but it was much better once I switched it to "music" or "cimema". I also turned on the "surround sound" feature. Over all I am happy with the sound quality.

Picture quality:

I've had this TV for about two weeks now, at first I was impressed with the picture quality -- it's crisp and clear, and the color looks very nice, just like the LD550 model. I set the picture mode to "Cinema" --the "standard" mode is a bit too bright for my sensitive eyes. Of course you can create and save your own picture mode by adjusting the brightness, color, and contrast, etc. But one day I noticed the brightness on the TV screen changed suddenly --- it went darker, then after a while it went bright again (looks similar to when there are rolling clouds in the sky on a sunny day). I didn't turn on the "inteligent sensor" and I think the lighting in my room didn't change. I did not have this problem with the LD550 model. I am not sure if I got a defective item or what. Right now I give this TV a 4 star, and hoping there's an easy fix for the brightness problem. I'll test it for a few more days and decide whether I should call LG, or return it....

*** UPDATE: I found out the reason that my TV would suddenly go darker is because I had the "Engergy Saver" on (it was set to "Auto"). So whenever the sensor in the TV detects a change of lighting in the room, it'll adjust the screen brightness automatically. Sometimes the screen goes so dark I can hardly see. I am not sure how much energy it can save by doing this, but I find it annoying to me, so I turned the feature off, and the problem solved! I am glad I don't have to return this TV. I am happy with my purchase so far.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2011 12:24:40 PM PDT
Excellent review. Thanks a lot!

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 9:06:47 AM PDT
Saul says:
Does this have inputs because in the pictures I don't see any?

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 5:22:29 PM PDT
D. Bennett says:
Thank you for your review!!! I just plugged my TV in 30 minutes ago and the picture seemed really dark. No matter what picture mode I put it in, the picture didn't seem right. As soon as I found the energy saving mode and turned it off the picture improved dramatically.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:13:42 AM PDT
Joe Gump says:
The blue light can be turned off.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 6:28:42 AM PDT
PaulJ7272 says:
I agree the energy saver makes it way too dark. You can blame CA for these energy saver features, I believe the state mandated it a yr ago or something. Again more big government stepping in and ruining products - think light blubs, toliets and washing machines. Something to remember when you all vote in 2012 - your TV is dark because of the government NOT LG.

Either way once you turn the energy saver feature off which I believe almost everyone will do the picture seems awesome.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 7:29:20 AM PDT
Thank you for your update. My picture turned dark on my TV - I googled looking for answers and your review came up. I will find the "energy saver" and turn it off. thanks again.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:18:02 PM PDT
Drew A. Paff says:
Thanks for Energy Saver tip. Much better with it off. Probably the cost of a large pizza to have it off so not a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 11:09:56 PM PST
P-Dog says:
I actually like the energy saving mode. At night when watching in bed with the lights off, the dimmer lighting is easy on the eyes and I can fall asleep easy. With the energy mode off, It's blinding and lights up the whole room.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 2:34:36 PM PST
Kray says:
How? I would like to turn it off as it is distracting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 2:35:13 PM PST
Kray says:
How do you turn it off? It is distracting.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (414 customer reviews)

$999.99 $850.00