5.0 out of 5 stars Little Speedgun, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-A55V DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology and 3D Sweep Panorama (Camera Body only) (Black) (Electronics)
I like this camera! For $750 I can't find another camera with these specs. It is well made and is now my do everything, go everywhere, second camera to my big gear.

Pros: Clean high ISO
6 fps with full functionality, 10 fps with limits
FAST autofocus, especially in video mode!
LCD screen swivels into the body for protection, great for hikes
In body stabilization, great for the vast selection of old "Minolta" lenses
Menus are very helpful and easy to navigate
Button layout is very efficient
Small body great for travel
Mirror does not move lessening camera shake during shooting
In camera GPS
$750!

Cons: None that match this price range, this camera beats everything else in my opinion

Yes, this is a small body, semi-limited function camera designed to be a step-up camera or second body to pros. Many of the complaints are pros who are trying to use this little speedgun inside a studio with a full flash set-up. That is not the function of this camera, buy a Canon 5d mkII, Nikon D700, or Sony a900 if that is what you are looking for. For $750 I can't find anything similar in functionality. I bought this camera with a full complement of lenses for under the price of the new Nikon D7000.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2010 4:25:02 PM PDT
Paul Yung says:
I agree! Most of the negatives were written by nuts disguised as experts who are comparing Apples with Oranges. This is a winner from Sony!

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 9:14:52 PM PDT
Can you detail the complement of lenses you purchased for this camera?

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 2:59:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 10:40:31 PM PDT
Georgio says:
I have a question.... what do you think about the microphones. Are they insulated well, or picking up camera body and lens focusing noises during shooting video? From the samples posted online I was hearing that it was pretty bad. How it is in real life, it is bothering you?

You are saying that you got lenses too. I wonder, if you have Sigma 30/1.4 lens. Is it compatible with this camera? Some say that it is not, and you need to send it to dealership to enable support (for free).

Still waiting for mine... A55 - that's exactly what I need... 2-in-1 decent DSLR + Decent HD "Camcorder"!

I tried T2i and had to return it. Focusing during video shooting was unacceptable. In store I tried NEX5 - You know what, I almost puked when was watching that video clip (raw MTS files) burned with Sony PMB software (it came with Sony CX100 camcorder, which I have) on DVD-R played on BR player to 1080p HDTV - it is horrid. See it for yourself: http://vimeo.com/14730053
But looks like, this camera (A55) CAN focus, and CAN HOLD FOCUS during video. And focusing is about right, it is centered and is not so neurotic like other comparable cameras (Canon...).

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 6:20:50 PM PDT
joe34 says:
Like one of the other reviewers I bought this camera directly from Sony. I would rather have bought it from Amazon because of their fabulous return policy. However, it turns out that I will never ever return this camera. It is a jewel. It is fast, easy and has a lot of features. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but I'll get past that. i also have an Alpha 700, but this camera weighs about 1/3d the weight of the 700, is smaller and easier to tote, and the quality of the photos is about equal to the 700. If you read the review in the current issue of Popular Photography, they "damned the camera by faint praise". I've been subscribing to that mag for many years, but they love Nikon and Canon so much that they tend to ignore or downplay cameras from other manufacturers. I use Photoshop Elements as an editor and it does a fine job, but every one of the how-to articles in Pop Photography are written for Photoshop CS users. I think it is time to look around for a new magazine.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 9:04:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 9:05:06 AM PDT
cwppros says:
You mentioned its "in body stabilization" and said that it's"great for the vast selection of old "Minolta" lenses." Would you elaborate on that, please?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 6:55:25 PM PDT
joe34 says:
I can't find where I mentioned the "A 55's in-body stabilizaiton and that it's"great for the vast selection of old "Minolta" lenses.". However I could have said it since that is a true statement. I have 12 lens left over from my Minolta film days. Some of them were made by Minolta, some by Sigma and some byTamron. Every one of those lenses works great in the A 55. As far as in-body stabilization, Minolta, if not the first, was one of the first camera makers who put bulit-in stabilization in their DSLR and I've been using it ever since. There are many arguments between camera owners over which system is better. Since I've not owned a Canon or a Nikon, I can't say which is better. I do know that I've been using Minolta/Konica-Minolta/Sony cameras for many years and know that they are quality cameras.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 11:55:32 AM PDT
cwppros says:
Did you need to purchase a lens ring adapter in order to use your old Minolta lenses? If so, which one or ones?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 8:53:31 PM PDT
CHB says:
Most new cameras have image stabilization in the lens. Not the body. You can use old Minolta lenses with these Sony's and not forgo image stabilization.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2011 3:56:59 PM PDT
Phil F. says:
This camera uses the a mount, which all previous Sony DSLR's and Minolta DSLR's use. No ring adapter is needed.

If you are talking about OLD old M42 manual focus lenses, you will need some sort of adapter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›