5.0 out of 5 stars A Fable for People Who've Never Known Real 1 Percenters, September 6, 2008
This review is from: Sons of Anarchy Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
The timing of Sons is obviously gauged to take advantage of the latest mid-life crisis which requires men my age to buy Harleys and spend their weekends pretending to be outlaw bikers.

Sons of Anarchy shows real potential as a worthy successor to The Sopranos - The Complete Series episodic brand of voyeurism. Sons offers to take us into the lives of those who live outside the social contracts (or constraints) most of us take for granted. However, unlike The Sopranos, the Sons are not a criminal version of royalty (a status bestowed by endless viewings of The Godfather DVD Collection .) Instead they are, (as described by another reviewer) "relatable." These are, for the most part, average joes, who've chosen to live outside the requirement to be a part of the herd or to "go along to get along."

Whether we actually practice it or not, the American ideal (or myth) is that of the rugged individualists, who band together to oppose the bureaucracy that wants to force these square pegs into round holes. Think of Rooster Cogburn in True Grit.

And that's the legend that Sons of Anarchy is based on. The basic concept is that the SAMCRO's (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club - Redwood Originals) are latter-day Knights Errant. Following in the footsteps of Jesse James and John Dillinger (if you believe that they were only stealing from the villainous landlord or grasping banker and not the hard-working farmer) these outlaw bikers exist to protect their community from the evils of dope-dealing white supremacists and the rival Mayan motorcycle club. And that's where they lost me, at least a little bit.

I grew up in Fontana, California, with a family full of 1 %'ers (the one-percenter nom de plume arose after the 1947 Hollister riots, when the America Motorcycle Association famously proclaimed that "99% of motorcycle riders were decent citizens" and "1%" were outlaws.) The brotherhood is undeniable - every member was loyal to the patch and would do anything and everything he could to help another brother.

But the loyalty was entirely to the club - if you weren't patched you were just strangers, worthy of no more consideration than the bug that slammed into your teeth as you roared your Harley down Route 66. The idea of them banding together to protect their city, or even their block, just left me a little incredulous. However, I'm nit-picking - this is fiction and I need to be more forgiving.

So now that I've aired my petty grievances, let me tell you what I loved.

This is probably the finest cast on the small screen I've seen in a long, long time. Even though the story is theoretically about Jackson "Jax" Teller (played by Charlie Hunnam), it was Rob Perlman (of Hellboy fame) and Katey Sagal (finally escaping from Married with Children) that were the most realistic characters and really made the show. While Jax is an interesting character and was obviously designed drive the main themes of the show, I couldn't help but wonder how this brooding prince (think Hamlet) was able to rise to the level of vice-prez without committing some horrific act of violence, which the show promises to have a lot of.

Sons was created by Kurt Sutter, a writer and executive producer on The Shield so you know he's going to keep this series gritty and as realistic as possible.

Sons promises a lot and I'm looking forward to the next episode. Now if only I could convince my wife to let me buy a Harley...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2010 5:26:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 5:28:46 PM PDT
Good write-up on the series. The cast is fantastic. To me it creates a sense of balance and through loyalty and scarifice a sense of necessity. Anarchy isn't necessarily always a bad then. I believe this series brings out some of the truths to what
it might take to finance such an organization that deems itself independent of local laws and communities. Only in the sense that
it is thriving for its own independence and also against unjust laws that are becoming more complexed and causing instabilty throughout the country today. If the people of this country don't start sticking together in some fashion of form, soon the
government will completely isolate them for ever. I have been around bikers some also, I am not a 1%'er or even near to one, " but the same idea occur to me as well, "together we stand, divided we fall". So in my mind making an observation that it is "I am and your not" only alienates people that want to support such ideas.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 8:54:28 PM PST
maskirovka says:
I'd love to know what law enforcement people who deal with 1 percenters think of this show. I somehow think they'd either hate it or watch it for laughs.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:41:14 PM PDT
Nathan says:
Well, Wayne, you've sold me. I only hope the show is as well thought as your review. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 11:06:32 PM PDT
Nuri K says:
Very informative review, thank you!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:59:36 PM PST
Brandon says:
Nice post! I don't know if your interested but I came across the "SONS" rings that Jax Teller wears...they look pretty bad ass..

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:39:46 AM PST
You let your wife tell you if you can or cant buy a hardly? (sorry, just had to poke ya over that!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (2,949 customer reviews)
 (2,412)