5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen Perpetual Chrono A-T: Beautifully modern; retro touches; my son will inherit this one, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's AT4010-50E Titanium Dress Watch (Watch)
I've only been wearing it for two hours, but I'm pleased enough to share my impressions:

Prologue: This is the second Citizen watch I've owned; my first was a Skyhawk/Blue Angels with a stainless steel case and band, circa 2005. I'm sold on Citizen for two primary reasons: 1) I love the brand name, and the company history; and 2) Eco-drive is just an elegant accomplishment from the standpoint of both design and (power) technology. Having said all that, my stainless Skyhawk, though I loved it, was just too damn heavy. I'm a big guy, with big arms, but I was much more aware of that watch than I wanted to be. Also, the complexity of functions provided by the watch's computer also turned out to be overkill for what I truly needed a watch to be.

This Perpetual Chrono A-T (titanium) solves both of those problems, while staying true to the Citizen brand & Eco-drive. It is just a beautifully modern analog watch with retro touches in the subsidiary dials. The watch face is quite large. If you're buying it based upon what you see in online photos, know that this is more than a "black-face" watch. The face's components are variously designed in black, matte grey, silver, and white, and there is quite a bit of stylish detail that doesn't stand out in online pics. The timepiece has color accents in the form of a mode hand that is blue; the upper and lower buttons have a circumferential stripe in the same color. This watch is definitely eye-catching without being flashy. The titanium band also has a two-tone look, as it is mostly a brush finish, but with link ends that are highly polished and look like nickel.

The titanium case and band are much lighter than I thought they would be. If you like a larger watch face, then you need a titanium case and band. This watch feels like half the weight of my old S-S Skyhawk. Out of the box, with no adjustments, the watch sits comfortably on my wrist and is not a distraction even as I type this on my laptop.

I was familiar with the watch and had it set to my time zone, time, and date within 20 minutes of sitting down with it. This included doing an "on-demand" (i.e., manual) activation of the receiver for the atomic clock radio signal. Nice to know that daylight savings (on or off) is part of the atomic signal info. I agree with those who criticize the watch for being too U.S.-centric in the time zone labels, but I imagine that Citizen sells other configurations of the watch that are localized for different countries. With this watch, you get a "home" time & zone, and an alternate time and time zone. Quite enough for me, as it lessens the complexity of the feature set quite nicely. This is not a watch with layer upon layer of settable functions, as the Skyhawk was. Trust me, you want to wear a watch that doesn't demand that you carry its manual around with you.

Two last observations: The Perpetual Chrono A-T strikes me as an elegant hybrid of three other expensive watches that I've owned: a Rolex Submariner, a very stylish and sturdy Sector, and the aforementioned Skyhawk. This watch has all of the best design and tech features of these other watches, with none of the adversities. At half the price of the Rolex, it is a much better watch, hands-down. Finally, I've heard people say that wrist watches are becoming passe, now that everyone carries a mobile phone. However, if you are a highly productive person who gets things done and keeps to a schedule, there is nothing more satisfying than being able to glance quickly at your wrist -- no fishing for a phone -- and instantly see highly accurate time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 4:59:16 PM PDT
Great Review AT 4010-50E and over concept, reality of wrist watch also.
I like your approach from prologue to obsrvation conclusion.
Excelent!

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:13:53 PM PDT
scsi_boy says:
you said that this citizen watch is 1/2 the price of the rolex submariner, then this watch should have cost roughly $3,900 since the rolex sub. costs $7900. i think you meant at a fraction of the price.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:29:48 PM PST
Takei says:
"I'm a big guy, with big arms, but I was much more aware of that watch than I wanted to be"
Does Amazon use some kind of autobot to put the highlighted comments at the front of the review sections? Funny how they took your comment out of context, indicating the opposite of what you were actually saying. And to boot, also said five other reviewers made similar comments.
If not autobots, maybe a limited grasp on reading comprehension.

Good review, pretty much the same thoughts after getting mine-

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:54:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2013 8:56:40 AM PST
P. Doherty says:

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 2:07:25 PM PST
John Watson says:
This review almost uncannily matches my decision. I have and have loved my Blue Angel since 2005, but like "Everyword", it is uncomfortably heavy, has complexities I do not need and I am drawn to the Perpetual CHrono A-T. Like him, my only reservation is the more limited time zone operation - I take long cruises. But being able to change key time zones easily is good. Also I am British by background and travel there a few times a year, so the four US zones and London are perfect. Now had it been PARIS - "No-way-Jose". As it is, when I cruisee I'll take both watches.
So thanks, Everyword, you closed the deal for me. I thought I was fussing, but you showed me that at least I am not alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 7:22:25 AM PDT
I agree, the rolex submariner is an 8000 dollar watch.....slightly more than double the price.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›