5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gold, made me a better photographer, November 4, 2008
This review is from: Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography (Paperback)
I am a hobbyist photographer who started out using a darkroom in high school shooting black and white film. I have never felt comfortable using strobes. Over the years I have convinced myself that I am a "natural light" shooter who didn't need a flash. I actually used to push 3200 film a couple stops to avoid using a flash at night!

Unfortunately my D200 just doesn't cut it in low light, so I bought an SB600 and reluctantly started using it for indoor shots. My pictures have been awful... I simply did not know what I was doing.
Recently, during a family wedding, I took another stab at using the flash and the results were complete crap. I decided to buy this book on a lark before throwing in the towel. I am glad I did!

This book is concise, full of information, and it all makes sense. The pace and progression of information is right on. Everything you need to know about using a modern flash is here. It is technical without being boring or patronizing. I want to thank the author for producing such an intelligent and usable guide to using my camera as it was meant to be used.
I now have the confidence to set up a small studio to help out with a local fashion business. Instead of fearing my flash, I am now empowered to really embrace artificial light.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2009 5:36:38 AM PST
kutsokutso says:
so why were your photos crap? what were you doing wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2009 8:54:10 AM PDT
Big Fudge says:
I had the flash on top of the camera. I had it set incorrectly for manual camera control. In some instances I had the shutter speed above the sync speed. Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing. While some of my mistakes are more basic than what this book covers (i.e. not setting up the flash correctly), the book showed me that flash photography can be creative and fun and not something to avoid.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (66 customer reviews)

$39.95 $23.72