5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Valuable Cookbook, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes (Paperback)
I am really enjoying this book. It has a lot of information on cooking all different food types in the pressure cooker as well as tips to ensure success. (When reading, I recognized some of my previous cooking errors.) There are comprehensive pressure cooking time charts and information for multi-level cooking as well as real variety in the recipes . They predominantly call for fresh and easy-to-find ingredients.

I wanted to address the low-rating reviews that recommended Lorna Sass's books over this one. I own two Lorna Sass books: while they are quality cookbooks and do include more recipes for vegetables and grains, there is information in Miss Vickie's cookbook that does not appear in Lorna Sass's. I do understand that people's needs and preferences are different, but there is much in this book to recommend to all pressure cooker users.

There may be other motives in some reviews in which Miss Vickie's book is not accurately represented. I used to visit a pressure cooking forum on Vegsource (a vegetarian website). One day, Miss Vickie posted in response to a question on that forum and was attacked by other members of the site because she has meat-based recipes on her own website. When I quietly reported this to the moderator, hoping to have the offending post removed, I was banned from the site. Lorna Sass is heavily promoted on this site because she has written a book for vegetarian pressure cooking (although, paradoxically, she authored several other books containing numerous meat recipes). This experience has colored my view of some of the negative postings.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2008 7:37:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2008 7:39:34 PM PDT
Snow White says:
I have successfully used many of the recipes in Miss Vickie's book, and continue to find others that I am eager to try. I see no reason for some of the reviews to be so biased against this book. It is well written, and certainly affordable. Thank you for your insight as to why some people might be so negative. In my opinion, she has brought pressure cooking to a whole new level. With over 400 recipes, how could there not be something in there for everyone? The dessert recipes I've tried are absolutely wonderful... the apple caramel pudding, the bread pudding, flan, custard... oh, this is making me hungry!!

By the way, you might like to visit her website and participate in her forums. It's great.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 3:45:27 PM PST
Woodbow says:
I appreciate your insights regarding the "other motives" of some reviewers. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian/vegan unless you're self-righteous and militant about it. I'll try the Miss Vickie book. I plan to kill some wild rabbits this winter to cook in my new pressure cooker.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 4:49:15 PM PST
Palimpsest says:
After reading through the 1-star, 2-star, and 3-star reviews, I didn't see signs of a Vegetarian Conspiracy at play. While most folks agree that Miss Vickie provides valuable technical information about the use of a pressure cooker, a few mentioned that some of the recipes contain errors in the ingredients or directions; some were looking for recipes that don't contain so much processed food (I believe one reviewer mentioned a recipe that included root beer, packaged onion soup mix, and mushroom soup); a couple were concerned that there are no recipes for folks who just purchased an electric pressure cooker; and another was concerned that nearly all the chicken-based recipes were focused on using chicken breasts, with few focused on chicken stews. I found all those comments valuable. I'm definitely not a vegetarian or vegan, but I'm getting older and processed foods and I don't get along as well as we used to. Knowing that this recipe book has many recipes of this type in it and that it doesn't cover cooking with my new Cuisinart, doesn't mean it should be thrown on the rubbish heap, it just means it probably isn't a good choice for me (and possibly others).

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 5:09:59 PM PST
I very much appreciate your review as well as your insights. Unfortunately there are too many people in this country who believe it's their way or no way. This might not be the case with Lorna Sass and her followers, but it is often enough the case, and the fact that you were banned from a website for making a comment is, well, kind of frightening.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 5:41:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2011 5:46:50 PM PDT
You're making me hungry too, Snow White. And I have just had lunch and am chomping the final bits of an apple! :-) Anyway, thanks for your insightful review. I am putting this book on my short list for when I get my new pressure cooker. (I have to save some money first.) It will be my third pressure cooker in 40 years and my present one (Inoxbeck) is almost useless. It has absolutely no accessories (that's how it came to me) and I don't even know what pressure it is.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 6:35:39 PM PDT
D. S. Perrin says:
I had a vegetarian roomate in college who stopped giving me lectures on vegetarianism when I pointed out that he wore shoes with leather soles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 6:26:19 PM PST
L. Collins says:
Yes I have heaps of friends who used to be vegetarian/vegan etc...that was when they were hippies at uni in their 20's and used to constantly preach and make me feel guilty about eating meat . Now they have normal jobs, kids and mortgages and eat meat galore! Hypocrites! I would love to be a vegetarian but it has never agreed with me-especially around certain times of the month...ahem..where I nearly felt like fainting! No iron tablets helped for that! Vegetarians forget that animals eat other animals too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 7:58:50 PM PST
And let's face it we are also animals. (The only other things we could possibly be are vegetable or mineral!) We just happen to be the world's most intelligent animal. Well, sometimes I have to wonder. :-0 My SIL was a vegetarian and, when she accepted the offer of a home with her vegetable-hating brother and myself, a blood test proved she was suffering from anaemia. My niece's husband used to be vegetarian but now eats meat and said he wished he'd changed years ago. I didn't discover why (e.g., because he feels better or because he enjoys his food more) and I'm not even sure why he turned vegetarian. I will ask at the first opportunity though. I can be downright nosy sometimes. I realise I'm going to get lots of people thinking this post adds nothing to the discussion! And I have to admit I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 6:15:41 AM PDT
Frying, roasting, bar-b-que, or pressure cooking we do it for the taste we want from our produce or meat. Vegan is a philosophy about what to eat and tasting and feeling good is about what we want to cook and eat.

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 3:15:09 PM PDT
Joanne says:
I have a question as I am a Pressure Cooking newbie using PSI stats to proceed with my recipes. I own a digital one by W. Puck, it has a dial to set time and nothing more, I like it, but I ordered another by Big Boss which has 3 PSI settings (2.5, 7.5 and 15) function buttons. It has a browning, steam, and even a slow cooker function. I had bought this Miss Vicki book years ago along with a few others like it, but put them aside unused bc I too thought that these were meant only for stovetop p.c's and not digital. SO I just went thru the book again now, now that my new digital with 3 PSI settings is on the way. The book states that you can use her recipes also for digital PC cooking. Also stated was that overwhelmingly most recipes use the high, or 15PSI, setting. I am being long-winded here, but here comes the question: All the recipes in this and other PC books I look at states the PSI cooking temp preferred, but then it also says "once it comes to pressure, then lower the heat to medium/low/medium low, etc." . This is confusing me. If I use my new digital cooker and set it at 15PSI, am I supposed to lower it to a lesser PSI setting if the recipe says so? Does anyone know the answer to this? I hope not, this sounds like a real pain. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (465 customer reviews)

$22.95 $15.12