5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up Like Cinderella!, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Philips Hf3470 Wake-up Light, White (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:05 Mins

***6 Month Update*** Had a lot of questions about burning out lights and whether or not I still enjoyed the alarm clock, so I just thought that I'd offer a quick update to my review. At nearly 6 months, I still use the alarm clock every day and have yet to be dissatisfied and my original review still stands. The light bulb has so far not burnt out and that's even with me using it for hours at a time as a reading lamp (note that the bulb is replaceable should it ever burn out). The bird noises still sound natural and pleasing to me (I was afraid I'd eventually associate bird tweets with groggy mornings and want to kill anything with feathers) and, in fact, I still occasionally wake up and think: My goodness, some bird is going to town out there... before realizing it's only my alarm clock. As always, if there are any further questions, please leave them in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer them.

-------------------------------------------------------

With the exception of the somewhat alarming price tag, this alarm clock alternative is actually really wonderful! I've been using it for a while now and find it every bit as effective at getting me up in the morning as my old BEEP!!!!!! BEEEP !!!!!!!! BEPPPP! alarm clock, without the mini heart attack I used to have every morning. Annnnd, in addition to the pleasant factor, it's also very handy. I've found myself turning on the lamp constantly in the middle of the night should I need to get up. The FM radio is really impressive, too. The device has great reception (comes with a wire antennae) and has surprisingly good audio quality. The video doesn't do it justice exactly, but there's actually some pretty good bass.

Here's a rundown of what I love about the Philips wake up light:

- Pleasant way to wake up
- Easy to use controls
- Lamp multi-purposeful
- Excellent quality radio

The only cons I can see are the price - a little hefty for an alarm clock, but you know if it's worth it. And the fact that it's a fairly big device and won't travel with you easily. It may not sit on your nightstand well, either, depending on how much room you have - BUT since it doubles as a lamp and radio you can actually replace those things with this one compact contraption!

Overall, I'm in love! I'm not at all a morning person so anything that can start my day better is worth its weight in gold.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010 6:03:31 AM PDT
Have you had any problems with the bulb burning out?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 12:14:53 PM PDT
Tyson says:
No problems so far, though I've only been using it for about 3 weeks now.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 11:09:10 AM PST
T. Loebig says:
how bright is the clock display at night....is it adjustable?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 1:15:31 PM PST
Tyson says:
The clock display is not adjustable, but it's not bright at all. I mean, you can read it clearly if you need to, but my head sleeps inches away from it (facing it) and I've never noticed it while trying to sleep like you do with some strangely bright alarm clocks. There's no glow, either, so even in a pitch black room you'd only know it's there if you went looking for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 1:16:47 PM PST
T. Loebig says:
thanks for the information....nothing worse than a bright led in your face with the time when you are having problems sleeping!

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 2:08:05 PM PDT
Thank you SO much for the demo video! Marketing videos can be misleading and I read a few of the low-scoring reivews that were pretty harsh about the yellow color of the lamp, so I was aprehensive about purchasing this for my mom, who just switched from a 6am shift to an 11:30pm shift. However, your video clearly shows how bright and white the light gets. Also, there were a few complaints that the bird chirps and other alarm sounds were annoying, but the bird chips in the video pretty much sound like the same birds that live outside my window. If you're not getting enough sleep, you want to toss a shoe them. But, if you're rested, they actually sound plesant in the morning :-)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 10:46:27 AM PDT
DooDude says:
I too would like to say thanks for the video as it cleared up the issue of the lights brightness, which seemed very bright & the bird chirping which also sounded fairly natural in your video.
This has helped a great deal in my purchasing decision. If I get this item Ill be sure to review it also.
Best regards...

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 7:20:48 AM PDT
ChessieBooks says:
Thanks for the vid. I saw some comments saying you had to be facing the clock in order to receive the benefits from it. I'm just wondering if this is true or do you think this would work as well for the person laying on the side of the bed furthest away from the alarm clock? My hubby and I could both use something that would help us wake naturally. Our house is depressingly dark most of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:40:11 AM PDT
Tyson says:
Hey, thanks for the comment! The great thing about the lamp is that you can the alter the brightness of the light. If you're room is already pretty dark, putting it on the maximum brightness should definitely be able to wake you up even if you aren't facing it. On the max, it can get REALLY bright. Also, if the bird noises are "natural" enough, you can count on them to wake you up. I currently keep the clock on my left side but sleep on the right, and haven't had any problems not getting the full benefits.

In my old bedroom setup I did face it, though, and it was very nice because of the way the light gradually increases, like a real rising sun. The effect is tarnished a bit now that I'm looking the other way, but it still gradually wakes me up and the effect is still 1000x better than hearing the hideous honks and beeps from my old alarm clock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 12:21:17 PM PDT
ChessieBooks says:
Thanks so much for responding. I would love to wake up to the sound of birds and a lighted room!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,569 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $500.00
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Tyson
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 297