5.0 out of 5 stars Never Realized how much I was missing on my monitor!, January 4, 2014
This review is from: BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz, 1ms High Performance 24-Inch Gaming Monitor (Personal Computers)
Before I got this monitor, I was using a Dell ST2210 21.5 inch monitor for my current rig. Needless to say, equipping a 60hz monitor with a GTX 670 graphics card does leave a lot to be desired. I was getting sick and tired of all the screen tearing, mouse lag from V-sync, and graphic let downs that the 2210 was giving me, so I decided to give this monitor a go.

When I first plugged this monitor in and connected it to my graphics card, I had to cover my eyes for a bit to be honest. This screen is RIDICULOUSLY bright!! It completely destroys my Dell monitor in terms of how bright it can be set to, and after comparing the two monitors, I had to tone down this BenQ monitor to 30% brightness so that it would be on the same level as my Dell!

I had also been using HDMI for my Dell monitor, but I'm glad I hooked up DVI instead for this device, because you won't be able to get anything better than 60hz for HDMI, so DVI is definitely the way to go here. Also, make sure that you adjust your graphic settings so that 144hz is enabled instead of the standard 60hz. When I first did that, I immediately noticed how much smoother the mouse movement is on my PC, which I knew was a good start.

But enough of the small stuff, I quickly started up Bioshock Infinite to really test this monitor out when I first got it. Needless to say, I was simply BLOWN AWAY at how good this monitor is. There was ZERO lag from my games in terms of the output that was being displayed from the combination of the card and the monitor. Everything felt really sharp, crisp, and truly amazing compared to my Dell monitor.

That being said, there were a couple of down sides to this monitor in terms of comparing it to my Dell. First, you can definitely notice a color difference in terms of accuracy when comparing a regular monitor to this one. For me, I was mainly able to notice this when it came to certain colors such as yellow and orange. I'm not that crazed over it though, so I won't take anything away from it, but everyone definitely needs to know that the colors on this screen aren't the best in the world.

One other downside is the fact that the platform for this monitor is quite large. Much bigger compared to my old monitor. I had to mess around with finding the right way to angle this monitor since my desk is not very large, but is roughly the same size as most office desks you'd find. I ended up having to arc the monitor on my desk and window sill which is only a bit higher compared to my desk, but because of that, the monitor is very prone to shaking whenever I type. Again, it's mainly because of my setup that everything is like this, so obviously I'm not going to take it away from the quality of this screen.

One final downside is that some games aren't necessarily designed to handle this high of a refresh rate, and Skyrim is a perfect example. I tried playing Skyrim with the 144hz refresh rate, but it ended up causing massive amounts of screen flickering, and even audio skipping because of it. I turned the monitor back to 60hz just to see if the refresh rate was the issue, and surely enough, I had no problems playing on 60hz. So you should probably make sure that your game can at least handle the refresh rate of this monitor so that you don't have to constantly look up the issues that your game might be having.

Overall, this monitor is simply one of the best you can possibly get. I can't believe how much my gaming experience has opened up because of it, and even though there are a couple of small annoyances with this monitor, it certainly doesn't take away the AMAZING qualities that make this monitor truly outperform all others.

[Add comment]