5.0 out of 5 stars As good as monitors costing much more. Maybe even better., January 7, 2011
This review is from: HP 2511x 25-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
I own a Apple 21.5 inch imac, My wife owns a 27 inch imac. I also got a HP elite six core monster hooked up to a HP 2509m which I like. I got this monitor because of my current monitor for my PC the HP 2509M and it's impressive display.

Now I know the HP 2511 isn't supposed to look as good as my wife's 27 inch imac,but it does.I called HP Tech support and they told me this panel is a S-PVA display. IPS is supposed to be better than S-PVA, but by looking at my wifes 27inch imac, which has a yellow hue to the screen, the HP 2511 looks better, the whites are whiter and the blacks are blacker. No black light bleed, no dead or stuck pixels. Even colors. This panel just plain looks better.

I have this side by side in dual mode with my imac 21.5 inch and use this as my main display and i could not be happier. I would give this monitor six stars if I could.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2011 11:51:59 AM PST
According to HP's own specs, it's a TN monitor: http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/xp599aa.pdf Scroll down toward the bottom and look under "monitor". That said, I've seen the monitor and it was very nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2011 6:41:28 AM PDT
spinoza says:
Another big difference that this review does not bring out is that the 27" iMac has a much higher resolution than the HP display--2560 by 1440 pixels for the iMac and only 1920 x 1080 for the HP. I haven't done the side by side comparison myself, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that a 25" display with only a 1920 x 1080 resolution would look as sharp as the Mac display. Geez, the 21" iMac has the same resolution as the 25" HP display, and is 4" smaller!

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 5:24:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 5:42:54 AM PDT
Well I have been at MicroCenter for a long time looking at monitors. I bought the HP 2509 just a couple weeks ago. It was great. I decided to spend more and bought a 27" HP model it was not so great; in fact it had a green tint! So I returned the 27" HP and got back my HP 2509 as fast as I could; I really like it and I am into digital photography big time (google jamesm007 and Pentax).

Now the main point. Yes Micro-Center had all the big Apple screens close to these screens and they seemed the same. HP glossy screens go a long ways toward that, and its accurate color. I use a Huey PRO and it made little changes to the monitor were it usually makes a huge difference in all others. The Apples were a bit better at color looking at an angle (they did not darken) but head on there was no difference I could see. Look up both HP 25" monitors especially the 2509 and read or better see for yourself. But you have to know not to use default super bright settings. My HP 2509 is set at brightness 25, contrast 70 and use 6500K for color if you don't have a calibrator.

I am writing this because the HP 2509 and HP 2511 LED display are very close to each other, pick either and you win. They are close to the big boys when viewed head on. They have a good size of 25", go to 27" and colors take a hit from the ends being at too much of an angle to you. Smaller is just smaller and not better, 25" is it for TN film technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 1:10:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 1:10:53 AM PDT
doach says:
Yes the 27 imac has a better screen and higher resolution display. But does it look better. No it does not. I never said it looked as "sharp'. I said it looked 'better'. Better and sharp are two different things. Don't confuse the two.

The HP has no stuck pixels. No black light bleed, deeper blacks, whiter whites. Those factors come into play on how good a screen looks regardless of resolution. Do the specs match the imac, no. Does it look better from my point of view, yes. I bought the 21.5 because of all the problems the first batch of 27's were having with yellowing screens. And i am glad i did.

Google "imac 27 inch and yellow screens".

Now they have fixed the problems for the most part, but when i purchased the HP, they (apple) did not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 8:09:04 AM PDT
ArN says:
Juste a little point to add. The iMac's display is great, no doubt about that, but you're wrong about the resolution of the 21'' Mac. It's 1920 x 1080, just like the HP and unlike the huge 2560 by 1440 of the 27'' Mac.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 6:17:23 PM PST
Book buyer says:
There is now way this screen looks as good as a 27" iMac.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:15:50 PM PDT
S. Park says:
Buyers, please note this model is NOT a S-PVA panel! It's a TN panel which prevails in today's low end market. Your wife's 27" imac must have been a bum or something. Really, $1,000 27" LG IPS panel is 2,3 tiers above this monitor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (325 customer reviews)

Out of stock