5.0 out of 5 stars Bold moves, exciting new turns!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Sanctuary: Season 4 (DVD)
I have never agreed with all the writers choices, nor do I think any fan will. Looking at season 4 as a whole through a formalistic lens, it was pretty amazing. Very rarely was I ever truly disappointed with an episode. There are lots of things that would have made my fan girl heart very happy that didn't happen, but it's their story to tell, not mine. I still enjoyed the ride immensely.

The great thing about this season was it's utter unpredictability, which arguably makes it one of the best. The writers and directors made very bold choices and took big risks this season, most paying off in spades. I feel this season took itself a little more seriously, not to say they didn't have their fair share of fun. "Monsoon" was an incredibly entertaining classic action hero story with references to Die Hard and James Bond. "Chimera" was a distinctive episode in that it was one of the most hilarious episodes I've seen whilst at the same time being very dark and creepy. With only a 13 episode arch to work with, each episode no matter it's A story built the ground work for a final battle of wills that will leave you stunned.

The drama between the characters of Helen and Will was truly captivating this season. I just wish there could have been even more. "The Depths" and "Fugue" had some of the most intense and shocking Helen and Will moments of the series. To this day I still have mixed feelings about the musical episode. The drama in the episode is ridiculously good, it's just awkward as a musical. Tesla makes some great appearances as well this season and never leaves us wanting for dry,snarky witticisms. My only criticism would be that they overplayed flirtations between Magnus and Tesla making some interactions seem fake. I sorely missed Kate this season, but was glad she could at least be a part of a small number of episodes. Abby, whilst still incredibly one-dimensional, was decidedly less annoying this season.

Episode highlights were "Tempus", "Monsoon", "Icebreaker", "Chimera", "The Depths" and "Sanctuary for None" Parts 1 & 2. These were arguably the best episodes, boasting the highest caliber of acting, writing, directing and all-around entertainment value. Top three would unquestionably be "Tempus", "The Depths", and "Chimera".

"Icebreaker" was decidedly a standout episode for me because its focus was horror. In my opinion, Sanctuary doesn't play with horror often enough, because when they decide to go dark they come up with some pretty amazing results. The best episodes are always of a darker nature. Fluff doesn't do any justice to their real talents.

I am deeply regretful that there will not be another season in the works. Season 4 was an incredibly entertaining ride and the stakes were definitely at their highest!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2012 10:35:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 5:57:09 PM PDT
Flash says:
Overall, I like the show, but thought that this season was a let down. As I said in my review, I felt both the writers and the actors didn't take things too seriously. The result was sub par quality compared to previous seasons. The reason for my comment is that we are in total disagreement about the Magnus/Zimmerman interactions. Robin Dunne never quite sat right with me, but I found that as the Wil character evolved, he became less and less credible. Compared to Magnus, Will was nothing but juvenile bravado on steriods! And in those interactions, his overacting only served to make them come across as campy and I couldn't buy into it at all.

I will say that Sanctuary tried hard. Sometimes it succeeded. Other times, it most definitely did not. I know it was shot on green screen, and as I said, the show "tried really hard" to overcome this budget limitation, however it was apparent that in this fourth season, they stopped trying so hard. I think they had a feeling it was the last season and instead of ratcheting it up, they coasted. Most of all, I blame Damian Kindler and Martin Wood (the writers and directors) and the network SyFy (which now that Sanctuary is done, doesn't produce anything worth watching)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 11:07:16 PM PDT
Saxette says:
Whoah! I didn't realize this was the last season. Now I'm even more disappointed than I was when I wrote my (very first) review. Thanks for letting us know that. I guess that explains why they didn't develop Praxis and other plot lines.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:41:36 AM PST
L. Housley says:
I didn't like season 4 as it was airing, but the ending of the season, had a big payoff and made it all worthwhile. Too bad we won't see anymore of the new sanctuary :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:43:36 AM PST
L. Housley says:
that's not true. Syfy has some great shows. I love warehouse 13 and the upcoming defiance could be pretty awesome. I also enjoyed face/off the few times I've watched it. (i'm not a big reality fan so I didn't stick with it, but it was cool to see how everything is made)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›