Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!! Thanks to the other reviewers, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations Kit, Java Stone (Tools & Home Improvement)
We did this over the weekend and I saved about $2800! My mid-60s kitchen with mint green countertop had to go. I finished the cabinet transformations (Expresso) about a month ago (excellent!), put down a new floor over the old linoleum, added stainless handles to the cabinets, and painted the kitchen. Countertop next. I used the Desert Sand, mainly because I liked it best, but also because it's available in 2 sized. (I had 36 sf, which I might have covered with the 50, but I changed my mind and got 2 small kits) I have 4 tiny imperfections, which I can fix. I won't reiterate the comments made by those of us who liked it.

First, some encouragement. They say this is a 2 or 3 day job for 2 people. That was a little intimidating for me to try and drum up a couple of friends basically willing to give up their whole weekend. In fact, from the time we started to sand until the color dots had been shaken on was only about 2 hours. The rest of the day was free. Day 2, sanding again and applying the top coat was about 90 minutes. In fact, the preparation and clean up was less time than the job.

You do need 2 people. There were 3 of us and we HIGHLY recommend that 3rd person. I had two people sanding the counters and I did the front. Or when the dust got too bad, we took turns going out for air. The 3rd person did most of the prep work for the next step, and the extra pair of eyes to spot irregularities was helpful.

1. Before you start, read all the reviews on here - even if you've read them before. People make good suggestions Thanks, especially to Lisa in MA who made good suggestions and gave me courage.
2. Before you begin, take the time to isolate the room from the rest of the house. I have 2 doors, one louvered, and one open doorway. On the open doorway, I used heavy plastic sheeting (bought in rolls, 10'x 25'). and taped a sheet on each side of the doorway. I used a plastic drop cloth on the floor and taped it down. I would have been better off using the sheeting. I also put down a tarp. Tape sheeting to the lower cabinets and to the floor, slightly under the cabinet (If it's not slightly under, you may step on it and pull it away from the cabinet. It took me about 3 hours to prep the room, but it was so worth it. It took only about 90 minutes to clean up afterwards.
3. If you have a shop vac with a brush, it's totally worth it. The brushes can be hard to find. The brush on your vacuum cleaner will probably fit. I went out and bought $55 mini shop vac just for the brush. Worth it, if you can afford it. The brush and dustpan will work, but this is MUCH faster.
3. I took someone's advice and used an orbital sander on my countertop. I agree that it saved a good amount of time. I still went over everything with the supplied sanding blocks.
4. The base coat went on flawlessly. We went from one side of the counter to the other side of the sink. I think that we should have stopped in the middle of the sink, but it wasn't a problem.

The countertop came out really, really nice. Nope, it's not granite, but it's every bit as nice - or nicer - as the laminate countertops I saw. It is shiny, which I like. Overall, this has been a great experience (including the cabinets).

Rustoleum, when are you going to come up with a product to cover the pink tile and fixtures in my bathroom?

[Add comment]