1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Problem, June 9, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S5200 Wi-Fi CMOS Digital Camera with 6x Zoom Lens (Blue) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
Bought the product as a backup camera for a trip to Alaska. Tested everything out the night before the trip. Everything worked fine. Put the camera immediately into the case. Camera was never dropped, jostled, etc. When I was in Alaska, ready to take the first picture, the lens wouldn't come out. Kept getting error message, "lens error". No other function on the camera would work, except the on/off button. Called the help line, but no luck. Fortunately, I had another camera, or this could have been an absolute disaster. Judging from two other reviews, this product has a serious defect. I don't understand why it is still being sold.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2013 4:33:20 PM PDT
We had the exact same difficulty! And it happened at the rehearsal dinner for a good friend's son's wedding! The next day, before the wedding, we went out and bought another camera.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 9:44:51 AM PST
C. Williams says:
I'm having the same issue and it's not even a year old.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 11:31:09 AM PST
From what I read, I wasn't the first person to have this problem, and I am sure you won't be the last. It amazes me is that despite this problem, Nikon continues to sell it with the defect.

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:18:13 AM PST
SMB says:
I just bought this camera and was concerned that it only was $50 because sometimes that means a manufacturer's defect. Thanks for the heads up and I will certainly go back to Staples and see if there's an extended warranty I can get for this discontinued item or maybe I'll have to return it. I appreciated your honest feedback without being rude.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 3:12:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2014 8:12:46 AM PDT
Kelita says:
EDIT ON 3/9/14: I decided to tinker around with the lens. I sprayed it with lens cleaner for glasses and noticed the lens was not fully extended. I pulled on it to extend it out all the way and sprayed the entire housing with the lens cleaner and dried it with one of those little micro cloths that come with glasses. Guess what? It works again! Maybe try that? It's worth something instead of just throwing it out, right?

I bought this in June, 2013. Just yesterday (3/2/12), I got the lens error. Can't return it to where I got it (90 day return policy), don't feel like shipping it (and paying for it) to get it serviced. Nice paperweight. I'm so mad that I'm out the money for it. What a piece of garbage!

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 6:08:08 AM PDT
We had the same problem: "lens error message" and the camera can no longer focus. Very disappointing!

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 3:55:48 PM PDT
I bought this camera for Christmas so it is less than 4 months old. Am getting the lens error message and cannot get it to work. I agree that this is a hunk of junk! I bought mine at Office Depot so will try for an exchange there first but I would not recommend this camera to anyone.

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 3:37:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2014 3:38:16 AM PDT
Pat Rymer says:
I paid $149.00 for this piece of junk at Walmart in Aug. 2013. Used it 1 time. When I got it out yesterday, charged the battery, I got the "lens Error" message. Walmart wouldn't return my money-only a 15 day window on cameras. I contacted Nikon for waranty coverage (still under 1 yr. warranty), they wanted $137.00 for repairing it! I exploded! What a rip-off Nikon is.

Posted on May 10, 2014 7:17:31 AM PDT
just had the same thing happen to me did you ever found out what the problem was

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2014 8:04:44 AM PDT
Sorry to hear you had the same problem. All i was told was that it was a defect in the camera, and they were aware of it. I can't believe that this product is still being sold with the defect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›