5.0 out of 5 stars A story 1,000 years in the making..., July 18, 2010
This review is from: The Sorcerer's Apprentice (DVD)
Dave was your typical ten-year-old until one fateful afternoon on a field trip when he passed a note to his crush. The note was swept up in a gust of wind and through a series of odd coincidences ended up inside a shop. It was in this shop that Dave met Balthazar, who informed Dave that he is a sorcerer.

Fast forward ten years and Dave is now a socially inept physics geek. Balthazar reenters Dave's life and tells him he needs to begin his training. Dave quickly realizes he's caught up in a centuries-old rivalry that could result in the end of the world- and he is the only one who can prevent it. Balthazar quickly tries to train Dave so they can battle the forces of evil that are trying to destroy the world.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is an exciting and entertaining film for the whole family! It has a little of everything in it- action, magic, humor and romance! The characters are funny and interesting (everything from geeky Dave to the greatest wizard ever known, Merlin). The content is family friendly so you can enjoy it with the kids, but it's exciting enough to be a great movie for adults as well. I enjoyed the acting, and everyone did a spectacular job! There were quite a few familiar faces- Nicholas Cage is fantastic (as always) and Jay Baruchel once again shows that he is a pro at portraying the painfully awkward guy! Alfred Molina is also present, and plays a great villain! There are also many new faces- Toby Kebbell is showing us that he is an extremely diverse actor, one moment he's playing a rugged Persian prince and the next he's an egocentric magician!

One of the things I love about this movie is that Disney gives a nod to some of its past endeavors (Hint: think of a character by the same title and you'll have an idea of what I'm referring to). Subtle homage to various films and characters can be seen throughout the movie, providing what computer geeks would refer to as "Easter eggs" for the viewer to catch. Some are relatively obvious, but if you're like me, you'll have to brush the cobwebs off of your memories of some of the older Disney flicks!

I also love that the trailers didn't ruin every funny scene. There were many other parts of the movie that made me laugh! This movie has plenty of surprises, and it keeps you engaged for the entire length of the film. The soundtrack is also excellent, with fantastic compositions from Trevor Rabin. His music sounds like a cross between Klaus Badelt's Pirates of the Caribbean score and Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score, with a few distinct touches of his own. The primary song repeated throughout the film is OneRepublic's "Secrets", which I feel was an appropriate song choice!

The movie is a bit predictable, but it's not as if you can expect otherwise from a Disney film. Some of the characters weren't incredibly well developed, however I don't feel it detracted from the film. To have gone into the details of every character would have made the movie too long. Regardless, I would highly recommend this movie to anyone! So, if you're in the mood for something a bit more action packed, definitely consider this one! Also, if you tend to be a film score junkie (like me), you should definitely consider grabbing the soundtrack! It's got some great tracks!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2010 5:08:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 5:10:23 PM PST
The Count says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 7:05:24 PM PST
Lindsay says:
lol I wish I was paid for my reviews... actually, I generally write book reviews for my blog (Confessions of a Bookworm), but occasionally do movie or product reviews if I come across something I feel like taking the time to review. You should see some of my crud from last year... I've improved significantly! But thanks for the compliment on my writing :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 8:29:31 AM PST
A. J. Rutten says:
Enjoyed your review, Lindsay.

"The Count" is an idiot. grins. Many people, with limited communication and cognitive thinking skills, have trouble processing words more than one syllable and sentences more than three words.

And since "The Count" obviously didn't like the movie (and therefore cannot possible comprehend anyone doing so), his review would be something like this: "It sucks." And I'm being generous. grins.

IMO, he also needs some help for that paranoia "thing" he's dealing with.

Seriously as a retired English/writing/journalism/media/speech and film study teacher (35 years worth), I appreciate the thoroughness of your review.

And the "coolness" of your response to "The Count."

Look forward to seeing it myself. Enjoy Jay Baruchel a great deal. And Mr. Cage. Even in his "older" years.

Your well written thoughts helped me make my decision. grins.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 9:31:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 13, 2011 5:55:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 9:46:38 AM PST
Lindsay says:
Thanks! I know people say a lot of Nicholas Cage's newer stuff is rubbish (and I can agree with some of it), but he's really grown on me over the years. I know Sorcerer's Apprentice won't make cinematic history or anything, but I was thoroughly entertained, and that's all that matters to me. I've seen all the movies on the AFI Top 100 list, and I've hated most of them. They bored me out of my mind and barely kept me interested in watching the entire film. My overall opinion of a movie is based on whether I walk away from the movie feeling like I didn't just waste an hour and a half of my life :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 3:59:03 PM PST
A. J. Rutten says:
HA! I only wish I got paid.

As a retired teacher (mentioned) I'm sitting here taking care of one of my two rescued dogs. Just had cancer surgery.

And will spend the holidays alone.

Yet I'm smiling.

What did I get out of writing the comment? Cathartic therapy.

What do you get out of picking on little old ladies, Rev. (one of these hypocritical relgious whack jobs, I'm sure.)

Brain bleach.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2011 3:13:19 PM PST
K. Worsham says:
I completely agree, people who "hate" movies because they didn't overall contribute to humanity make me chuckle. I mean, it's a movie - not a philosophy class. From a movie I want to be entertained, not continuously look at my watch, and remember it with a smile.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (612 customer reviews)

$14.99 $8.49