3.0 out of 5 stars A smooth operator but a troublesome installer, November 9, 2013
This review is from: Norton 360 Multi-Device 2014 - 1 User / 5 Devices (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I want three things from a security product. I want 1.)good protection from the full spectrum of threats, 2.) without interference with my computer use, and 3.) quick user-friendly installation.
I have been using Norton 360 for a year on two laptops, a Dell Studio running Windows 7 and a Compaq running Windows XP. It has satisfied my first two requirements to my full satisfaction (Read the product description to see everything it can do.). I have not used the extra available features such as the Password Manager and cannot comment on them. I noticed Norton Premier 360 Multi-Device could also protect my Samsung Galaxy Note II phone, which had no extra security protection, and decided to upgrade to it. For mobile devices it has some nice added features like Call Blocking, although I have not tried them out.
When it came to my third requirement, quick and easy installation, the Norton product was considerably less successful. It took me three hours to install Norton 360 on my three devices. Three devices on three operating systems, and I had problems with all of them, different problems with each device. I consider myself an average to slightly above-average computer user and do not normally have this much trouble.
Although my software came with a CD, Symantec recommends installing the software from their website, and I concur, because it eliminates the need to update from whatever version was on your CD. Once you have activated your license key , it is stored in your account, so you only need to enter that ridiculously long product code once. Initially the Dell installation seemed to go well, but it, well, just never finished installing. I finally gave up and rebooted and started over again. The second time it seemed to install but then never showed the new installation. It appeared there were installation files still active, and when I opened that file it asked me to reboot, which solved the problem. Sparing you the details of the 3 attempts to install the software on my Samsung, let me simply recommend my third approach, which worked flawlessly: go to Norton Support from your phone, add the phone as a new device, and choose the option of sending yourself an e-mail with instructions. Then download and install using Google Play, NOT the internet browser. I had anticipated I might have trouble with the Compaq, since it runs such an old operating system, and I did have problems. It hung up during installation twice, at one point disabling access to my entire computer, including my Start menu, so I could not even restart except by pressing the Off button, hardly an elegant solution. The third time the software installed, but after I rebooted Norton Autofix found an error---both Live Update and the Virus Definitions failed. At that point I called Tech Support.
As a result of my difficulties I had an opportunity to experience Symantec's support. The information on the Symantec website was completely off-base, but the chat technician responded after a wait of less than one minute. He took control of my computer with my permission and in a couple of minutes fixed whatever problem I was having. He rebooted my computer, and Norton 360 is now running fine on all my devices. As chat services go, this one earned high marks.
Given my good experience using (as opposed to installing) this software, I would give Norton another chance next year, but if I have as much trouble then, I'll be reading the reviews for a new security suite!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2013 10:46:15 PM PST
Couch Cutie says:
The details that this reviewer includes are qualitatively superior to those found in the majority of reviews. For example, I found the following information to be particularly salient: 1) noting the type of hardware that the software is being downloaded and installed on; 2) the efforts that were expended in attempting to make the product work; and 3) satisfaction with the product's funtion once installed is very high, which explains why the reviewer went to such extraordinary efforts to succeed. This review emphasizes that the product is effective and efficient once installed, but that there is the potential for problems during download and installation that can be solved though costly in time and effort. These details allow the potential purchaser to make an informed decision and be better prepared to consider the potential advantages and disadvantages when making a purchasing decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 12:54:25 PM PST
Smsgmax says:
Is this a review of the review? I don't get it. Who cares?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2013 8:41:06 AM PST
Tim Weber says:
is this a review of the reviewer's review of the reviewer? I lost sleep over it but I get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 8:18:05 AM PST
LOL!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (430 customer reviews)

$81.49 $79.59