Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars A very honest review of good/bad., May 7, 2014
This review is from: The One (The selection Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I have erased the first line of this review six times because I want to be fair and accurate and each of my previous attempts at starting this review have come off too negative. I want to be clear this is my opinion and while I will point out some negatives; I would still read the book and the series due to the concept it has - which had unlimited potential.

I have faithfully followed America, Maxon and Aspen through to the end in hopes of...more.

It seems to me there was a wealth of possibilities that all fell short with the series. This could have been great if the story telling wasn't quite so single minded and there was more focus on where to place emphasis on expanding details and background, and when to stop over cooking a plot point or even a chunk of information. Quite a bit of information was laid out that was interesting but never explored. It felt like it should or would have value within the story, but never did. Alternately, information with superficial value was often expounded on, many times, ad nauseam; which leant nothing to the story save a cringe.

The groundwork was laid for a look at an socially unraveling post war American society with a royal family. What an intriguing concept! America (Country: not the heroine) with a royal family - in a post war with China setting - in and of itself had all the possibility of great things to come. I enjoyed the premise of the story but all in all it provided very superficial entertainment. I know there is a "The Bachelor" element to it that combined some attempts at serious looks into a society that is flawed but overall; I've been left wanting. The beauty of this series is only skin deep. You never really get a true peak behind the curtain. It felt like a reality show in truth. You didn't see the reality of that world (or this piece of it) but only snippets of edited content. And all the edits felt like they cut out vital and interesting material, and just left you with what was thought to be salacious but really has been done before. The story that almost was...

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with that. If you want a light series which on occasion touches some veins of depth, but always yanks you back out in time with a dose of sunshine and, " let's not look too closely at the grime on the wall," this is for you. Another reviewer of the first book said, to effect, if you like reality romance shows, the selection of clothes and food scenes in The Hunger Games then this book is for you. They were right.

I purchased it anyway and found some great parts with the potential for more. I never received any moments of extreme enlightenment but I passed a few hours in one-dimensional entertainment with glimpses of what could/may have been coming. I was intrigued enough to keep coming back to see where it would go and with hope. Oh so much hope, not to see an interesting idea languish on the spine (of the book) without coming to fruition. Surely it would progress. But it felt rather like every time I was nearing the exploration of some interesting plot point, I'd be hurried back to the route of least literary resistance and the series and particularly The One is poorer for it.

America, is supposed to be selfless, but of course we all have flaws or what is the point of reading a redeeming story? Yet, while America falls into doing the right thing time and again, the wrong way, it appears she doesn't learn from her errors - over and over. This is consistent and can be tedious and repetitious. Is it accurate for a teenager, maybe, but this is our heroine and story foundation? I felt there should have been more growth as apparently she was always a fighter, with a strong moral compass, who knew right from wrong, etc. I found I wanted to throttle her at times but mostly...I just didn't care. The not caring was the worst part, especially when I WANTED to care. Sure, she did some great things and showed some fortitude but she brooded more than anything. I wanted to love her and root for her.

Maxon, is painted as vaguely mysterious and likely genuine but very reserved and fickle. There are reasons for this yet, Ms. Cass, never fleshes out her primary figures enough for me to truly think, "Yes, OK! I get it! I get him!" I feel I was only provided with the bare essentials and the resulting effect left me wanting more and never being able to get too far beyond a Cinderella happy ending stereotypical image with Maxon, as opposed to truly loving or hating him and/or his choices. Actually, that line is true for much of the story, not just Maxon. He (and the story) could have been a gem of storytelling either way...hero or heel. Here is an American monarchy. I wanted more from them (Maxon and the monarchy and the story) than the bare sketching we received. My goodness, the pickings were rich and again it felt as if the path of least resistance was taken. Again, Maxon and the monarchy for that matter, were the poorer for it. I can never really say I got behind him one way or the other.

Ambivalence is the most horrid emotion for a main character in my opinion. Not really feeling anything is a story killer and sadly it occurs in multiple fronts in The One and the series. Three main characters and ambivalence is the predominant emotion I feel.

Aspen falls into the same net as the other two. We receive more background on his character in the first books but in The One, he becomes a mere plot device, devoid of anything but a few hero scenarios and an inevitable stumbling block for America and Maxon. Then, he semi fades into the background despite efforts otherwise. Even with Aspen not being such a prominent figure in this book it didn't change or clarify events or feelings. I'm not missing the message that was being transmitted; I'm saying it wasn't transmitted clearly, by force or fault, I don't know.

I have so many unanswered questions. I really felt let down that some very interesting aspects, maybe some of the most interesting pieces of the supporting story structure, weren't fleshed out at all or we are given a one to two line sentence (on occasion a paragraph or two) to neatly wrap them up for us - MOVE ALONG NOTHING TO SEE HERE. Yet they aren't. There were far too many unanswered questions or areas that were just passed over. It made the story feel forced, condensed and incomplete in many aspects.

SPOILERS AHEAD

We finally learn about the two rebel groups...but do we? These are serious plot points that have been referred to endlessly yet when the time comes, we learn about the Northern rebels in only the tiniest of details. How they were formed is a bomb briefly dropped on us but it's merely mentioned in passing and never touched on again. What??? Who they came from I thought was going to be important. It wasn't. Now, Maxon and America are best friends with the Northern rebels in short order. Funny how that sense of trust was established so quickly, with them, in that volatile situation; yet all three primary characters couldn't muster anywhere near that in their own lives and interactions, despite the more immediate sense of life or death involved with the choice of faith in the rebels. And they (the main characters) had much more time together to establish trust with each other than with the N. rebels. The Southern rebels are given a brief description and then we only see two actions after that but no more explanations, formations, foundations, NADA - just accept it reader despite all the buildup. We see the ease and ability for these rebels to invade a palace over and over and some of the ways they do what they do at the end. Yet we are asked to suspend our disbelief of how easy it is with no explanation or even mention of it. Heck, anyone can walk right into the palace. No problem. The reader is asked to suspend disbelief or plausibility and not hope for any type of explanation at all in many cases. It felt and feels wrong to me.

Those points aside, it's yet another example of potential interesting points which could have helped develop this world for us, help us understand these people we are trying to loathe, love and pull for, but it just becomes a brief side note which pops up when entirely convenient and is wrapped up with a very short bit of dialogue when it's bothered to be addressed at all. There are numerous examples of this throughout The One and the series. After awhile it became frustrating though I never stopped hoping for more because there was just so much potential, but most of it ended up being a by-product of the story, as opposed to A PART of the story.

I don't want to give away anymore spoilers but I will say that this book consistently, in my opinion, failed to deliver meaningful fleshed out story lines and only touched on the most superficial of things with glimpses of much deeper oceans in the background that we never get to really see let alone swim in. That is by far the most disappointing aspect of the series. I feel like so much was either wasted or taken for granted. As a reader I don't care to be pandered to, but to be fair, the lack of information or relevant detail was constant throughout the series so it is my own fault for constantly expecting more when there was very little sign I was ever going to receive it.

There were good parts, don't get me wrong. I just could never really put myself behind one thing or another because I felt as if I was only ever getting a fourth of what was there...or could be. I don't regret reading the story and I can't not recommend it. I can say that this is a what you see is what you get and only that book. Don't look for much of the supporting information to be anything more than the sheerest of window dressing. Light with lack luster attempts at depth, a love story without faith or conviction, and a pleasant simple read if you don't expect more than a slightly modified Cinderella story/reality TV show with minor attempts at world building which falls short of the mark by measures.

I feel as though this is coming off very negative and I'm sorry if my thoughts do not mirror yours but I had to be truthful. Everything was just wrapped up so fast and too quickly skipping over what could have been exceptional story telling but ended up being the road well traveled but not well written or maybe well detailed. The end of the book just glosses over some monumental information (and characters) we've been set up with for two and a half books as well as quite a bit of game changing information last minute. Then we just get the stock standard expected ending with a few curve balls that aren't ever explored or shown proper respect. They feel tacked on for shock value and thus bring little honor or respect in storytelling.

I truly did, on a very simplistic level, enjoy some of the story and persons in it. This review reads negatively in many respects, pointing out quite a bit of faults as "I" perceived them. This should not imply in any way that this book has no value or merit. I suggest rather, that the book is a light airy book which tries to be more than that, but isn't. So enjoy the aspects which are present as it is a book that I don't regret reading and would suggest to others based on their reading preferences. This book has a core/target audience. Unfortunately, I wasn't it. I suggest that this is a time of dystopian, world building, heroine, love triangle heavy stories in the literature market. There have been some great ones and some poor ones and a lot in between. I think this is a series that tried to fit into that genre and did in minor - check the block ways- but didn't hit the mark some (including me) have come to expect or hope for in this genre. I've tried to articulate why it didn't click for me and placed more emphasis on that as opposed to the positive aspects. It isn't intentional but rather where my gut and reading experience led me. I am sure someone who experienced a better read with this will focus more on the positive aspects. Perhaps reading both types of reviews will give a more complete picture. I hope my review is not taken out of context but gives a solid foundation for those who are looking for a book in the genre I have described and can use this review to decide if it will be a story that meets the requirements they are seeking. I would try Ms. Cass in the future to see if it was just this particular topic I didn't mesh with.

SUMMATION: This series/book could have been great. Instead it's an excellent idea that just turned out ok. I was disappointed, but I still found value in it. I suggest you read this to finish the series but don't expect any deviation from the two books prior - in terms of detail or idea exploration. Take on face value what the author gives you. I will not be rereading this series as I have other series when I want to relive that feeling or freshness, I just don't think it was here in the first place. I feel this is more a true young adult book as opposed to a YA/adult crossover. And that is my mistake not the author's. I wish it could have been different, I really wanted to fall in love with this (as I will say again - the concept had major potential) but for me, it wasn't possible. I am sorry if you loved this and disagree. I am not trying to bash the author. In the end, it is our own expectations which are the greatest, and my expectations were not met. This series is a 3 star series for great ideas, though not completely fulfilled, for characters who could have been something special but fell short and who are worth meeting but not worth having over for dinner a second time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2014 7:32:27 PM PDT
Indigo Felle says:
Two words: I agree!

I could sum up my thoughts: Entertaining, not sorry I read the series; but this felt like a rough draft, a fleshed out outline, just waiting for a couple more rounds of edits. So much potential, but instead of being a deeply thought-provoking and heart-wrenching story (I confess to having found thought provoking and heart-wrenching moments in Twilight, for example, so I'm not above this genre by any means!), it was just very light entertainment. And that's okay, too, really. ;-)

Posted on May 10, 2014 5:52:17 AM PDT
Terri says:
Your review nailed so many of my reactions to the book and series. Great job!

Posted on May 12, 2014 9:55:44 AM PDT
NMMom says:
Well said, this series wasn't even deep enough for my 11 yo daughter to be super crazy about it although it is much more at her level than for an adult. However, it was rather entertaining and a quick read. Aside from personally feeling unsatisfied on many levels, I hope my daughter did not pick up some false ideals about the way to have a relationship with a boy.

Posted on May 12, 2014 2:16:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2014 2:17:13 PM PDT
Tasha says:
I was going to write a review but yours basically summed up my feelings completely.

The biggest aspect of this book that left me dissapointed was how Cass dealt with the conflict bewtween America and Maxon's father. There could have been some amazing developement there (not to mention Maxon growing a pair) but it was just wrapped up in a neat little bow and unfortunatley it felt like a cop out.

I still enjoyed the series but it was a little frustrating how much more this book could have been and just didn't get there.

Posted on May 28, 2014 5:12:55 AM PDT
Horse says:
Wow! I 100% agree with everything you said! I kept hoping and hoping only to be left with the bare minimum details. I wanted to LOVE this book and I also agree it had GREAT potential. I just wish the author would have spent more time in the detail. It felt very rushed, left questions unanswered, and what a shame because i really think this book would have been phenomenal instead of just good enough.

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 10:16:10 AM PDT
S. Furtado says:
Complete Agree...

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 9:27:45 AM PDT
Pelagos says:
I completely agree! I enjoyed the story, but there were many things that weren't quite there. Thank you for an excellent review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2014 11:05:00 AM PDT
Tash50Tash50 says:
Thank you. :)

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:47:48 AM PDT
Janice Gelb says:
Thanks for this review, which said so much of what I would have wanted to say that now I don't have to write one!

I really, really wish that someone else could take this world and concept and do right by it.

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 6:33:49 PM PDT
Amazon Slave says:
? What happened to the Queen's sister & her children and Elise. The whole part of the southern rebels breaking in killing didn't make sense and why did they you know what to Celeste first?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›