3.0 out of 5 stars MAC USERS BEWARE..., June 12, 2008
This review is from: Flip Mino Video Camera - Black, 2 GB,1 Hour (1st Generation) (Electronics)
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and I thought it was important for Mac users to be filled in on the following....

1. The software that comes with the Flip Video Mino does NOT allow you to stitch multiple clips together to make one movie. Only Windows users can do this.

2. I was able to get the Flip Video Mino AVI videos to play in iMovie '08, but not export. When you export the video you get a blank screen with only audio. I had better luck exporting the video from Final Cut Pro.

3. In case you are interested, the codec that Flip Video Mino uses is the 3ivx codec.

There are workarounds for the above issues, but it would have been nice if there was a way to combine clips into one movie right out of the box. Hopefully this will be possible in the future with a software update.

Other then those concerns, its a great product so far and the video quality from the raw AVI file is really impressive.
I found a site called motionbox that will let you upload the raw AVI files that the Flip Video Mino creates and once uploaded you can do some basic editing and combine multiple movies into one. Doing it this way gives you a much higher quality video then what you get on sites like YouTube.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2008 5:38:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2008 5:38:33 PM PDT
Islandgirl says:
"I found a site called [...] that will let you upload the raw AVI files that the Flip Video Mino creates and once uploaded you can do some basic editing and combine multiple movies into one."

What's the name of the site?

Posted on Jun 12, 2008 7:44:14 PM PDT
Flyboy says:
This info. was very important to me because I have a iMac running 10.5 Leopard and iMovie 08. This good info. brings up the question: what exactly does the Mino "built in" software do on a Mac computer? (forgetting for a moment iMovie 08 or 06 part). In other words, can the BUILT IN mino program be used to stitch video clips or edit clips in any way and can those clips be sent to friends and family in some easy way ? OR do we have to use u-tube, facebook or AOL to export these video clips ? As U can see, I am a beginner but anxious to learn more about how to send clips to family or post these mino clips so they can easily access and play them....
Thanks for the present info and any additional info will be greatly appreciated...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 10:07:21 PM PDT
Area 51 says:
I guess I can't put in actual websites in my review. The name of the site is motionbox. Google it and you should find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 10:18:31 PM PDT
Area 51 says:
The built in software lets you set a new start and end time of a clip and then save it to your computer. If you use a windows computer you can stitch video clips together but NOT on the mac.

There are a few options for sharing videos...

Private Email Sharing - (Send a private link to family and friends.) This will upload the video to the Flip Video Private sharing site and send a link in an email for your family and friends to click on to view. This page is plastered with adds for the Flip Video.

Share Greeting - (Send a link to a private online greeting card.)

Public online Sharing - This will let you automaticly upload your video clip to AOL Video, YouTube, or MySpace. It also will generate a web friendly file that you can upload to any other website out there.

So to answer your question, yes it is very easy to share the videos with your family. Just remember you can't stitch clips on the Mac. I would suggest looking into a site called motionbox as a good way to upload and share videos with family. You can also stitch the videos once they are on motionbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 2:41:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2008 2:48:53 AM PDT
This is the same as the Flip Ultra was. If it is the same, the camera mounts as a drive and you can just find the clips in a folder on it and drag them off of the camera. You can save the video to a quicktime wrapper using QT Pro or re-encode to something else using, FFMPEGX, Visual Hub, QT Pro, or whatever program you want before editing. Sadly, macs don't really support .avi files very well.

I sent my Flip Ultra back and got a very small Sanyo HD700 720p flash camcorder which records to H.264 Mpegs (perfect for iMovie) for $300 at christmas. The Sanyo has much better overall performance, manual settings, picture etc. than a Flip of course, but I find myself wishing I had kept the Flip for its great low light performance.

It is pretty humorous that they have it plugged into a Blackbook though in their promotional shots when it isn't really that Mac friendly. I wish they would change their format to Mpeg 4 (H.264 preferably) for Mac users but I guess they like Avi for some reason.

Posted on Jun 18, 2008 9:40:26 PM PDT
credit risk says:
Well I don't think you're missing much on a Mac by not being able to use the Flip software to edit clips. As far as I know it's very limited anyway plus IM 08 is a perfect complement to the Flip. It's extremely easy to grab footage and splice it together with IM08.

The problem of course is that IM08 doesn't support Flip's codec. You need to convert it first to an appropriate format. Once you figure that out it's not a big deal. It's an extra step, but one you can run in the background or while you're afk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 12:47:23 AM PDT
Michael Rael says:
Hi:)
The name of the site is motionbox. Do you already own a mino? I was thinking of getting one.
best,
Mike

Posted on Jun 27, 2008 8:00:18 AM PDT
soulsun says:
Thanks for the review. I have a Mac too (with Leopard) and am looking for a pocketsize camera - the Flip seems perfect. I don't want to do much with it other than add some clips to websites or send little clips to family and friends (like I do now using imovie and quicktime). I'm afraid much of the discussion so far (about standards, formats etc.) is pure gibberish to me. Do you think the flip will serve my purposes -- if it gets too complicated I'm afraid I'll give up!! thanks VERY much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2008 11:56:07 AM PDT
Deanokat says:
I have a Mac running OSX 10.4.11. I have had no problems whatsoever uploading videos, viewing videos, or sharing videos with the Flip Mino. I have the latest version of QuickTime (7.5) and everything works like a charm. Maybe it's a Leopard thing, but I am problem-free.

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 4:47:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2008 4:51:53 PM PDT
Samuel Chell says:
Is the Flip Ultra more Mac-compatible than the Flip Mino? I've got the original Flip, and it leaves me with 2 options: 1. play the video without sound; 2. play the video one clip at a time. I've downloaded Perian and tried all the other recommendations, but it's the same story on any Mac machine with Leopard. Looks like the Mino would be no advantage. I don't want to fool with splicing clips in iMovie or any other application just to be able to show the complete movie on my computer. It least it plays nicely when I plug the camera directly into my TV set.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (529 customer reviews)

$149.99 $139.99