5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Vita Owners!, May 9, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Video Game)
Update July 2013: Almost a year later this thing still works excellently! I have left it charged months at a time (it's probably a horrible thing to do) yet every time I was curious and pressed the power button to check the charge, it's always been green (even after 4 months!). Excellent product, highly recommended!

Update: The owner's manual states it will take approximately 7 hours to fully charge the device; unfortunately, I was not present to record the time when the indicator light turned off. For size comparisons, please refer to pictures I have uploaded. Also, I would like to add that this fits snugly inside the Official Sony Travel Pouch and since the width (or depth I should say) of the device is similar to the power brick, you may use the power brick to see if this charger will fit in your travel cases however the other dimensions are different so account for those. I will update again after continued use!

--Original Review--
Author's Note: I will update this when I have used the device. These are initial impressions with information provided in the owner's manual that are not presented in the product information.

The object is pretty weighty (135g) about as heavy as an iPhone 4 and the dimensions are 67 x 79 x 22mm (2.7 x 2.8 x 0.9 in).
Input: DC 5V/1.0A
Output: DC 5V/1.5A
Battery: DC 3.7 V, 5000mAh

When Charging the portable charger the button indicator blinks:
Green - Approximately 70% or more battery charge in the charger
Orange - Approximately 40 - 70% battery charge in the charger
Red - Approximately 40% or less battery charge in the charger
Not lit - Fully Charged

When Charger is supplying power to devices button lit continuously,
Green - Approximately 70% or more battery charge in the charger
Orange - Approximately 40 - 70% battery charge in the charger
Red - Approximately 40% or less battery charge in the charger
Not lit - Fully Charged/No remaining charge in charger

Remember that this device outputs at 1.5A for your Vita (this is the minimum output required for the Vita to stay on and charge simultaneously) however, if you plug in another device; let's say an smartphone, the charger will adjust to the required current (around 1A) . In other words, it won't fry your smart phone's battery.

IMPORTANT: Please note that this requires (!!) the Vita charger to charge the portable charger. The bottom of the portable charger has the input charging port which is the same port that the PS Vita requires to charge (USB port on the top and PS Vita charging port is on the bottom). In a way that's convenient because it cuts down on packaging and pricing if you own a Vita; however if you don't own a Vita you will need to buy BOTH the USB cord AND the AC adaptor. So if you are considering purchasing this without owning a Vita, look for an alternative as the USB cord and AC adaptor are pricey!

The reason I bought this over other alternatives is the 1.5A that will allow me to play both my Vita and charge it simultaneously. As for the need for the AC adaptor, I think it's a great idea to reduce the amount of cords cluttered around. If I were to really travel somewhere far I would bring my Vita charger anyway so I don't see why people find this to be a fault.

I will run a few tests to see whether this device can charge an iPhone 4S, HTC Evo 3D, and other USB charged devices <the battery charges the listed devices> I find around the house. I will also test to see if the charger can charge itself while simultaneously charging the Vita <does not work, you can only charge one or the other>. Feel free to leave any questions or tests you'd like done in the comments!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2012 1:59:54 PM PDT
Samuel Inman says:
Any luck with it charging the iPhone 4S? If I buy this I'd like to work with my other devices too. Otherwise I want to find an alternative charger that works on both my Vita and iPhone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 4:14:37 PM PDT
D. H. says:
I haven't tested how quickly it charges but it does indeed charge the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, HTC Evo 3D and (just for fun) a small USB powered desk fan.
When I have the time, I will test how quickly the 4S charges from 10% - ~80% but from when I did charge it, it seems faster than charging it via laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:30:11 PM PDT
Samuel Inman says:
Awesome, that's good to hear. I think I'll buy it then. Appriciate the help.

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 4:18:08 PM PDT
Can you use this with the dongle paired with the Pulse elite headset for PS3/PS4 having the ps vita or any other device wired to the dongle and the headset turned on with the dongle being powered by this portable charger?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2014 10:16:39 AM PDT
D. H. says:
You're in luck as I do have a pulse elite headset myself.

Yes this set up works. Tested with the dongle wired to my laptop and then again to my cell phone. The headset was able to pick up the receiver without any disruption for the 3 minutes my test song lasted
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (174 customer reviews)

$49.99 $20.11