5.0 out of 5 stars So far a GOOD solid VERY SMALL (for 10x) Zoom Auto Point and Shoot - But doesn't over come the laws of physics. (Darn!), November 24, 2010
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (Camera)
OK, so I bought this camera from Amazon, great service from them, only had this camera 2 days so this is just a first impression. Usually I wait for the reviews and buy then but the features on this looked good and besides, its Christmas! (almost). This Nikon s8100 a just a little bigger and heavier (10x Zoom) than the Canon IS1100, 1200, 1300, 1400s (3x Zooms), needs a "slightly" bigger case. Camera startup is reasonably speedy, something less than 3 seconds from start/focus/take picture in low light ( faster outside). Good enough for me. Very little shutter lag, comparable or better than other good digitals I've owned (Canon A710, 1100is). Focus is fast and accurate. This is a next gen camera so it should do all of that stuff well and it does. Weight: yes it weighs a little more but feels solid. Guess Nikon hasn't figured out how to make a good 10x zoom lens weigh less than a ¼ gram, darn those guys!. Focusing: yes when I zoom in and try to focus closer than the lens physically can get it won't focus (10x has to be something over 10' or so). Another law of physics Nikon is unable to overcome, darn those guys again! Low light pics: very nice. Low light video also very good, but there is one setting in video the 1080 without the star where the video looks dull. Don't know why, set it on the star 1080(default) and leave it. No manual controls: I didn't buy this for the manual controls (its a point & shoot remember, get your Binford 5000 25pound mucho $$$ rig out for the tricky stuff), I just want to whip it out, take pictures and video, and it does that well. Pictures and video look very good, better than my other cameras. The video focus will hunt a TINY bit when zooming, but, this camera WILL zoom during video, unlike others. Low light video is good but the more you zoom the less light you get (gee! That's like all my other cameras EVER, and its a 10x zoom, not 3x or 4x) So, video works good when you compare zoom distance to light collection. Auto scene mode doesn't pick the right scene indoors in low light (wants to use night landscape), use Regular Auto in that situation. Auto Scene works OK so far otherwise. Flash is good and fairly powerful for a small unit, exposure mostly about right. You just need to hold it differently than other cameras for the flash to pop up on the top left side, one handed pics (for right handers), no problem. Battery life, not as good as others, but OK. Use the USB cable to charge the battery in the camera, 4hrs, OR, get an extra charger and battery and do it that way, you HAVE A CHOICE with the s8100. Oh, BTW, (as others point out) the USB cover FEELs flimsy (I couldn't really care less about this... it works). Haven't found any large flaws yet. Just get out there and take pictures!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2011 11:32:42 AM PST
Please hit return button occasionally. You may have a very good review, but it is too hard on my aging eyes to read!

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:08:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 9:08:43 PM PDT
Joe Smith says:
I was hoping since you have had the Canons, you could make a comparison for me. I have a Canon Powershot A720 IS which is still in good working order, incidentally.
I am looking for an upgrade in picture quality & added zoom, with the ability to take stills while I am shooting video.
My primary reason for considering the Nikon s8100 is I hate how flash ruins the effect of natural light/shadow, so I am hoping to find an affordable camera that would allow me to take pictures without flash.
I am not sure if I am being unrealistic thinking this would really work for my purposes, since primarily I take pictures of my moving children. With the Canon A720IS, I keep it on "kids and pets" most of the time and I almost never have to worry about blurry pictures, although I do get more noise than I would like sometimes.
Do you think the image stabalizer in the Nikon is comparable to your Canon image stabalizers? Is it realistic to hope I could take pictures of kids who are moving around without flash and without a tripod with the Nikon?
Those are my biggest concerns. I wouldn't mind any comparisons you can make with the Canon A710 as it may be similar to my 720IS :D.... like size comparison or lag time between shots, shutter lag, flash recharge time (I get a little impatient between shots with the Canon. I know I'm asking a lot. My main concern is the ability to take low-light shots of people going about their business indoors, though.
I would really appreciate your time. Thanks for the review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›