Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Great...But, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Green) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I love the size and features of this camera. I just took it on a trip to Belize where we snorkeled. The little Sony was terrific. It good picture and videos that we certainly acceptable or better for its size. It was really nice to be able to always have it in my pocket for a quick shot.

Unfortunately, when I got home I notice what appeared to be some green corrosion on the mini HDMI connector. Sure enough when I tried to view my pictures and video on my TV it was a no go. Everything else is working fine but it is a real bummer that the HD video, 3D images, etc... only work through the HDMI, so back to Sony it must go since I was 3 days beyond the Amazon returns policy :-(

So far the Sony returns process seems OK so hopefully I will get a new or at least working unit to have fun with on my next excursion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 2:36:57 AM PDT
R. Abuan says:
I hadn't had this camera for too long as well and there was corrosion in it. I returned it to Sony and they claimed the corrosion was not covered by their return policy. I made sure I had dealt with this camera well enough so that there wouldn't be any water going into the compartments but apparently some water had slipped into this WATERPROOF camera. So now, it will cost $500+ for the repair or $200+ for a new camera (doesn't even make sense, right?). It was a terrible experience. Please let me know how the return process had gone with you.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:23:24 PM PST
NoWhereMan says:
If you were in salt water, you should have to rinsed off the whole camera, it does not take long for the salt to cause corrosion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:12:58 AM PST
I had a similar problem. The camera was rinsed of thoughly in freash water after use and corrosion still occured on the mini HDMI connection. Sony was very good about the repair since it was under warranty but I am not so confident in using this camera underwater now that the warranty has lapsed.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:20:05 AM PST
did you rinse the camera like you are suppose to after it is used in water?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:44:03 AM PST
The waterproof nature of this camera was probably more of a sales gimmick than a literal feature, and designed more to weather the rain. If you want to take underwater shots, you should probably get a camera designed specifically for that. What could you expect for the inexpensive price?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:37:00 AM PST
"What could you expect for the inexpensive price? "

People should suffer a discounted product with inferior quality? I don't think so. A discounted movie ticket should not restrict the viewer to the first row.
If "waterproof" doesn't mean in the sea water, it should have stated so before the sale, not after people have purchased it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:10:04 AM PST
penedawn says:
I agree. Too often people say 'I have no sympathy for you, what did you expect' we would like items to do as they suggest, gimmick or no gimmick. Thanks for pointing this out.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:19:34 PM PST
I have a panasonic camera that looks a lot like this camera with almost the same specs, Panasonic doesnt have carl zeiss lens, Panasonic Lumix TS20 16.1 MP TOUGH Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Orange) and the instructions for the camera says, when used in salt water place in a container of fresh water and allow to soak for 10 minutes to clean off all salt from camera. It doesn't recommend "rinsing" under running water, doesnt say why but my guess is rinsing under running water may miss some salt, where soaking for 10 min would allow the salt do dissolve into the fresh water, that's just a guess. If you plan to do much saltwater use of the camera you may want to get this case, Sony MPKTHK DSC Marine Pack for Digital Imaging Products it would protect it more and allow you to go up to 132 feet (40m) deep with the camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:13:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 9:15:12 AM PST
Charlie P says:
As a boater and scuba diver who has dealt with salt water corrosion for 40 years I can say Ed W. has it right. I immerse equipment used in salt water in warm fresh water making sure the fresh water can get into all the crevices and compartments the salt water found. This works with scuba gear, fishing reels, as well as cameras and underwater camera cases.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:52:46 PM PST
Somonica says:
I own the older version of this camera DSC-TX5 which I brought back in 2010.

It has travel with me all over the world and has been snorkeling with me in salt water many many times...

My camera has no corrosion what so ever and still look and work like new. The key, as the others already said, you need to read the manual and SOAK the camera in fresh water. not just rinse it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›