4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, but some units have very fragile cover glass., September 13, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
Review of Nexus 7 16 GB bought in late August 2012.

The good:
1. Great screen size, big enough to see but easy to carry.
2. Light and thin. Easy to hold. (Easier to hold with Supcase leather case.)
3. Very good, intuitive user interface.
4. Bright display colors and easy to read text. Works well with Kindle application.

The bad:
1. No rear facing camera. This makes it difficult or impossible to use some android applications, such as UPC code scanners.
2. Extremely fragile screen. Nexus 7 does not use Gorilla glass, just "fortified glass" glued on top of the display screen. After having my Nexus for only 2-1/2 days, I placed my Nexus 7 in the front left pocket of my cargo shorts and sat down and the screen shattered, as if it was made of microscope slide cover glass. There were no other objects in my pocket, and my shorts were loose fitting so the Nexus was not in any kind of bind. The cover glass runs right to the edge of the Nexus 7, and the frame is really flimsy. There is no way an uncased Nexus 7 could survive any kind of drop. (In contrast my 9 year old son has dropped my Droid X, which does have Gorilla glass, numerous times with no damage, and I carry my Droid X in the same front pants pocket daily.)

Even though the screen was clearly defective, Asus's warranty (Asus makes the Nexus 7) does not cover screen breakage for any reason. Their warranty service is also somewhat difficult to work with, and the cost to replace my screen and ship my Nexus back to me was $164, plus the $15 it cost me to ship it to Asus.

About three weeks later I received my repaired Nexus 7. After fully charging the battery, I tried to turn my Nexus on. I had a very difficult time getting it to boot to the home screen. It took about seven times turning the unit off and back on before I could get the touch screen to register any input. For the next two days the touch screen had dead spots and only worked sporadically. Since then it seems to be working normally.

I purchased a Supcase leather case for my Nexus, and I highly recommend this product. It fits the Nexus 7 very snuggly, and it looks like it would protect the unit against most bumps and drops. When you close the front cover of the case it puts the Nexus into sleep mode. The cover is held closed with magnets sewn into the leather. Now I feel a lot more comfortable carrying my Nexus around, since the Nexus housing is somewhat slippery and I was constantly worried about bumping or dropping my Nexus and breaking the cover glass again.

Summary: The Nexus 7 is a great size, lightweight, and a lot of fun to use; but I only give it 3 stars because of its very fragile cover glass. (See update below.)

Update 11/2/12: My Nexus operating system is performing better than ever after two software updates. I am not reading a lot of other reviews of the Nexus where the cover glass was as fragile as mine, so perhaps I got a bad unit, but I am still disappointed that Asus service did not warranty my defect. My wife also has a Nexus, and we have had no issues with her unit. I am now pleased enough with our Nexus 7 tablets that I am revising my rating upwards to four stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 6:35:20 PM PDT
NoWhereMan says:

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:08:16 PM PDT
ASUS Support says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Dear Troy,

Thank you for your review of the Nexus 7. We definitely appreciate your feedback and comments. I do apologize for the issues you have encountered with the tablet, though. Unfortunately, glass breaking isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Hopefully, though, the repairs went well and you get your tablet back, better than before. Google has released a case for the Nexus 7 which should be available for purchase now. I definitely recommend one.

For future reference, if you are having issues, or if you have any questions regarding your Nexus 7, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at cl-tien@asus.com. I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Best Regards,

Tien
ASUS Customer Loyalty

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:10:02 PM PDT
Big Daddy says:
Not really. Gorilla glass is pretty tough.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:39:23 PM PDT
Derrick says:
I've done fairly extensive research and am not buying this product for the reasons you stated. The edge of a piece of glass should never be exposed, sticking up outside the edge of a bezel, the outsides of glass always need protection as they are the weak link. Glass needs solid support on all sides as well. It seems like a third to half or more of these things are getting the left side of the screen raised up, and that's simply a design flaw, plain and simple.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:50:40 PM PDT
Derrick says:
I'll say this right here, if you have a screen that is raised above the bezel, that is to say, if the edge of the glass is exposed above the bezel, you should RMA the unit immediately. This is unacceptable and if you keep these units you not only encourage them to not do anything to address a clear design flaw, but you roll the dice, since the glass is not supported evenly for one, which means too much force on the left side will cause a break much more easily than if the glass was properly secured, but also the edges of the glass are their weakest point, they must be protected by the bezel at all times.

If you have a unit where glass is not secured tightly, RMA it. Get them to fix it.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:29:02 AM PDT
I just bought a case for my Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:15:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:29:09 AM PST
@Asus Tien says: "Unfortunately, glass breaking isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty."

Uh, Tien... did you read the customer's post? The customer is quite clear on this point. An ASUS employee repeating this [BAD] news is actually only rubbing sand -no, make that glass- into the wound.

@Asus Tien says: "Hopefully, though, the repairs went well and you get your tablet back..."

Again, did you read the post? The customer already got the tablet back.

I vote your post thumbs down. Inane remarks such as these from the "Customer Loyalty" team, which are nothing more than thinly disguised (thinner than tablet glass) public relations postings are not helpful. You have added NOTHING of value to the discussion.

In fact, you have just made this ready-to-buy-a-Nexus customer a bit less likely to purchase an ASUS product. For two reasons; 1) from the various Amazon reviews it is clear there is either a design or a production issue with this glass business, and ASUS, instead of fixing the issue sends people like you to smooth things over with postings like you made. 2) That your post lowers my expectation of receiving decent customer support if the need arises.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:24:54 AM PST
This is a very helpful review. Thanx. One question. You were saying "No rear facing camera. This makes it difficult or impossible to use some android applications, such as UPC code scanners".

Can you elaborate please? Is it "difficult" or outright impossible to scan the bar codes? The reason I ask is that I am just getting ready to buy my first tablet, and am leaning toward this model. However, my basic is that any tablet I buy is capable of performing a basic set of functions (defined by ME, :>). I think scanning bar codes belongs on that list. Doesn't this feature relate to the ads that give you shopping discounts?

thanx!
jim

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:35:21 PM PST
D.L.C says:
All glass is weakest at its edges. Especially chemically hardened glass. Chemically hardened gains a large amount of strength from tension between the glass layers. This is strongest in the middle and weakest at the edges. Youtube "Prince Rupert's Drop." The main part of the glass can withstand hammers, but the tail, one slight ding and the whole thing explodes (literally). Basically every tablet has this problem where dropping it on the edge causes the glass to fail. It's worse on tablets because of the glass size verse a smartphone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (870 customer reviews)

$299.00 $208.00