4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny slim monitor - great price, May 29, 2011
This review is from: Acer S231HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen Ultra-Slim LED Display - Black (Personal Computers)
My 28" monitor took a dump overnight and so I needed something cheap and usable pronto until I get the chance to replace the capacitors on my larger screen.

I opted for the Acer 231HL due to the ultra slim design and obviously the low cost. First thing to note is despite this being touted as a 23" monitor it's tiny. Now I don't just mean thin (which it really is) but the screen itself just seems so wee. I realize that I'm used to seeing a 28" screen but would ~4" make such a stark difference? Maybe, and of course if you're coming from a smaller monitor then you'll instead probably be amazed at how much bigger this is... it's all relative I guess. The much-welcomed limited bezel around the screen and small base stand does add to the apparent diminutive size. It just seems a tad wider and shorter than it should be - having said that everything looks in proportion, not squished or anything indicating that there's an aspect ratio problem, so it's psychosomatic I guess. When set to its native resolution of 1920x1080 it looks crystal clear.

The monitor itself is advertised as VGA/DVI and HDMI. Now I don't know what happened but mine does not have a HDMI port. There's a space where the connector should be and indeed the manual shows it clearly but it's just not there. Bizarre as I see reviews and specifications discussing HDMI which my monitor just does not have. My model number is definitely S231HL - there's no extra numbers or letters so I guess some iterations were manufactured without HDMI. I feel this is very important to note, especially if you intend to use the monitor as a TV. You should definitely check this first before you even unpack the monitor fully. For me it's no biggy as I'm using the supplied DVI cable so I'm not worried about it. Your mileage and needs may vary. There are also no speakers on this unit which aids in its small size and depth but may be a deal breaker for you.

The screen itself is excellent and has great black levels. The 12 million to 1 contrast ratio is of course a silly spec since it's just the dynamic contrast ratio and, despite some searching online, I cannot absolutely find anywhere that states the much more useful static contrast ratio for this unit. I suspect it's in the 1000:1 range though. I do note that (probably) thanks to the LED back lighting the black levels are excellent when compared to a nearby 800:1 static contrast monitor - so no complaints there. The screen did have a slight greenish hue to it and pure yellow in Photoshop (R:255 G:255 B:0) looked a tad sickly green. So much so that when I turned down the red by 10% it still looked the same. I tried playing with both the nvidia graphic card settings and the monitor settings itself and even installed a shareware app called powerstrip which I've used in the past to acutely control the monitor all to no avail. However, after using the monitor for a week it seems to have 'settled in' and now looks fine which is frankly a little disconcerting!

As a fan of unnecessary super bright LEDs I just have to mention the power light. It a thumbnail sized piece of semi-oval perspex that drips down on the right on the monitor. Nice touch.

So in summation a great monitor at a great price. The initial greeny color and lack of HDMI on my model loses it a star. But honestly for the price it's a steal - buy two and have a great multi-monitor set up for about the price of just a single competing monitor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2011 1:03:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2011 1:09:51 PM PDT
HDMI is "optional" - there are at least two versions of this monitor. The "S231HL bid" version, which is the only one that's advertised with HDMI, should always have HDMI. There's a similar story with H233H (only "H233H bmid" is assured to have HDMI) and probably other Acer monitors in the 23" range.

So, just to confirm the obvious: you didn't buy yours here at Amazon? I think only WalMart carries the non-HDMI version, and it's very unlikely to have been marked to have HDMI (e.g. on that white rectangle text area on the black retail box of the monitor, where the complete specs of the monitor are outlined).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 5:18:44 PM PDT
Vynny says:
I did not buy it here at Amazon and indeed picked it up at Walmart - at the time Wally World had it for $30 less than the Amazon price. I didn't think to check the box (long since thrown out) to compare and thought I'd done my homework.

I didn't even notice the word 'bid' in the product title and in fact didn't even see it after you pointed it out at first glance. Although even if I had, I would not have associated it a product number anyway. "Acer S231HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen" just looks like a typo to me and I'd probably think they meant big or something. Other people probably have been caught by this as if it had said S231HLbid then it would make more sense.

Your info is invaluable. As I said in the review it doesn't affect me in this instance but is possibly very important to many others to have the HDMI. Thanks for the comment.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 9:31:38 PM PDT
Cait says:
Does the stand allow you to change the tilt of the screen?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 7:06:19 AM PDT
Vynny says:
It does not. It does have four screw hefty holes on the back in presumably a fairly standard placement for attaching a different stand or to attach to a wall mount or one of those monitor crane holders.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 10:25:26 AM PDT
handyman says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 10:30:48 AM PDT
Vynny says:
I didn't say it was less than 22.5"

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 7:24:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011 7:28:11 AM PDT
Thanks for the info! Based on the 3.5/5 Amazon reviews and elsewhere having 4.5-5/5 I decided not to buy it from Amazon. I've seen defective production runs and unlucky vendors may receive the whole lot, I've seen them with many vendors including Amazon. In 2007, Staples had a 3.5 star review for a 4.5 star Amazon rated Tomtom GPS, again for defects seen even after exchanges. Many of the problems listed on the low mark reviews aren't as common on other review sites, or on my monitor. HDMI input is important, IMHO, because newer PCs and laptops are no longer made with VGA ports; to buy it separately will cost anywhere between $50-100 and the quality of the conversion is variable HDCP HDMI to VGA + SPDIF RGB Component Ypbpr Converter v1.3b.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:11:49 AM PST
Evil Monkey says:
Take this review down! It's obviously not the same model that amazon is selling, and you're deceiving people by making them think the monitor amazon sells might not come with an hdmi port. I'm glad I read the comments since no where in your review did you mention that you bought it from walmart, and it's not even the same model. I understand you thought it was at the time, but it's not. So quit deceiving. Pointless review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Vynny "Vynrod"
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: USA