5.0 out of 5 stars A Basic Cable at a Good Price, November 1, 2010
This review is from: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable (6.5 Feet/2.0 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard] (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the HDMI cable to get right now: an HDMI 1.4 cable at a good price.

HDMI 1.4

HDMI 1.4 is the latest standard (as of November 2010 at least). It is backward compatible with other HDMI gear (mine all are HDMI 1.3 compliant). And it will be more useful to you if your TV supports HDMI 1.4 networking. I was not able to test the Ethernet networking capability of this cable, but I think the idea behind it is a good one.

For my current home entertainment setup, I had to set up separate Internet connections on my TV, set top box, Blu-Ray player, and WD TV LIVE (HTPC). It would have been a lot easier if I could have just set up my TV's internet connection, and allow all of my components to share it. That's what HDMI 1.4 promises to let you do--as long as all of your hardware, including the cables, supports it. This cable will support that functionality; it's more "future-proof" than the HDMI 1.3 cables I have been using.

Learn more (and see nice diagrams) at [...]

This Cable

This cable is really long, so I don't recommend it if your components are very close together. A 3-foot cable would easily suffice in that case.

Overall Impressions

This cable is a great buy. Definitely order it if your new A/V or PC components don't come with an HDMI cable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 9:28:17 PM PST
Mike says:

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:17:26 PM PST
Deep Color

Does anyone know if this Amazon HDMI cable supports Deep Color?

Like Amazon says, just because HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 make the feature of Deep Color "possible" does not "mandate" that those features are included.

With that in mind, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if Deep Color is included in this HDMI cable.

Thank you.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 8:40:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2011 8:56:15 PM PST
A. Ramirez says:
Note that you say this is a 1.4 cable, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the product description. That is because there is no such thing as a 1.4 cable. "1.3" and "1.4" cables are the same. They are also the same as "High Speed" which is the appropriate name and is applied in the title.

Most High Speed HDMI will support all the features, except Deep Color and Ethernet AFAIK. Just check the product details of any cable first.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 7:27:06 AM PST
I must respectfully disagree with A. Ramirez's comments. I received this cable via Amazon Vine and mine was an HDMI 1.4-compliant cable. There is indeed a difference between an HDMI 1.3-compliant cable and an HDMI 1.4-compliant cable: the Ethernet networking capabilities added in HDMI version 1.4. The cable is backwards compatible with previous HDMI versions, and has the same transfer speeds (etc.) as HDMI 1.3 cables. There is, however, a visible difference in the connector. The cable I received has extra wiring in the top of the connector, which does not interfere with older HDMI ports, but does add features to products with newer HDMI ports.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 9:31:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2011 9:41:46 PM PST
I am not 100% sure but I think HDMI.org has done away with 1.3, 1.4, etc. and simplified the classifications to five categories with High Speed being the top two as opposed to Standard Speed. This one apparently is High Speed with Ethernet, a new feature. So I think it would be a 1.4 if there were still such version categories available, but it is not because HDMI.org has done away with such categorizations.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 12:38:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2011 12:39:00 PM PST
Ray Sullivan says:
Does anyone know if Amazon is now or will soon be selling 3ft High speed HDMI cables (New Model)? My cable box sits on top of my Magnavox DVDR so I don't need 6 ft of cable to connect them but it will be nice for the HDTV in the adjacent cabinet. Will I need 2 of the Amazon New Model HDMI cables if I purchase an HDMI splitter in order to maintain the signal quality to the splitter and then one of the 3 outputs of the splitter to my new Vizio LCD-LED HDTV? Is it important to have 2 of the same Amazon High speed new model HDMI cables? If I use a generic brand of HDMI cable from the HDMI splitter output #2 to the DVDR do I assume that the signal will be degraded somewhat compared to the input signal? Will I be able to even tell a difference if I mix 2 different versions of the HDMI cables? Thanks for any help from "those in the know".

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 11:59:08 AM PDT
Jenna says:
Does this cable work with the new xbox 360 4G model for picture and audio?

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 1:24:10 PM PDT
David Field says:
Michael:

In your review of the Amazon HDMI cable you mention a good site, but our chums at Amazon (I'm also a Vine reviewer) decided to remove the URL.

Can you tell us here what it is? AFAIK Amazon doesn't delete URLs mentioned in comments.

Thanks

Dave

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 8:01:50 PM PDT
Bob in AZ says:
AmazonBasics High Speed HDMI Cable (9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters) I have a long stretch from my iMac to my wall mounted HDTV. Can I connect three of these together to make that connection work?

Posted on May 28, 2011 12:46:19 PM PDT
80sGuy says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Michael J. Descy
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Marlboro, NJ