1.0 out of 5 stars Worst album I've listened to in years. Nothing but self-indulgent garbage., January 4, 2011
This review is from: Have One on Me (Audio CD)
Joanna must have some wealthy parents - who else would bankroll this self-indulgent, monotonous, worthless garbage masquerading as music? Thank gawd I didn't pay to listen to this. Even so, it was a colossal waste of time. How much? Try 2 hours - two hours of the same song repeated over and over again. Absolutely zero originality or creativity on display on these 3 horrific cds. Honestly, after this offal had finished I couldn't remember a single song on the album - not a one. Nothing stood out - well, that's not true: her ghastly voice did. It goes nowhere. It's the same trilling on each and every track. If she had a pretty voice, it might be slightly tolerable but it's not. It's hideous. Same goes for the actual music: nothing but uninspired, dull arrangements. Making anyone listen to this entire album is abusive. I listened to it, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. If I actually owned the cds, it would go straight into the trash bin. I wouldn't recycle it and give anyone the misfortune I had in listening to it. It's the worst album I've listened to in years, and that's saying something as I listen to hundreds of albums a year.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2011 5:06:30 PM PST
WW85 says:
Wow, didn't know parents could pay for a booking at Carnegie Hall. And sell it out too. Yeah, they must be rich. All those great reviews and year end Top 10 lists must have really cost them..

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 3:05:55 PM PST
rosecross56 says:
First, go look up polyrythm and gain a deep understanding of it by studying the western canon, particularly the Classical period. Newsom plays with polyrythms in a completely original and modern way, while still invoking certain folk staples such as Joni Mitchell. She is one of the best talents in musical composition living today because she can weave originality and accessibility in one stroke. You claim her arrangements are "dull", but give no clear examples outside your own musical shortsightedness.

It's fine to know what you like musically. It's even fine to like one style, or prefer simplicity over complexity. What isn't fine is to resort to insults because you had a personal dislike of something. There are plenty of records I dislike, but I understand their appeal, and sometimes I even think they are great musically. e.g. Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective. It made tons of end of year lists in 2009, but I never connected to it. I knew it was way ahead of its time and musically sound, so I felt no need to trash it on a public forum. I am not narcissistic enough to believe my musical palate is the standard by which all melody is judged. And on that note, you should probably find a ladder as soon as possible so you can safely climb off that high horse. No one cares that you "listen to hundreds of albums." Why are you so insecure about your tastes in music?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 8:11:11 AM PST
Robert Burns says:
Amen!

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 8:25:55 AM PST
Robert Burns says:
Who cares if you listen to "hundreds of albums a year". Your uninformed remarks show a complete lack of understanding of what goes in to making music. I think I'll trust the many glowing reviews and my own ears, having listened to this record many times, over your self-important snipings. Seeing her perform these songs live was one of the high points of last year, and her voice is indeed beautiful and perfectly complimented by her impressive harp and piano playing. Get over yourself and crawl back under your rock. I take hundreds of dumps a year, but that doesn't make me an expert on the subject, though I can safely say that each one had more merit than your "review".

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 4:47:05 AM PST
Leven1 says:
Unlike the other comments on Wes' review I am not going to outright critise his remarks. To an extent I agree with him even though personally I love the album and would give it 5 stars. First off it doesn't sound like Wes listened to the album more than once (if he made it all the way through) and it is difficult to get a proper sense of most records after only one listen never mind a record of the complexity of this. I agree with him that the album is self-indulgent. Of course it is but that is no bad thing. It is not commercial music (despite Joanna's popularlity) and you will never hear any of this on mainstream radio. I also agree that after listening to it I could not remember a single song. These are not 3 minute pop songs and you will never appreaciate or remember them after one listen. Listening to this album the first few times can be hard work but the effort is worth it as with each listen more and more of the album is revealed. Personally I find that an album I need to listen to several times before I START to get it will last me much longer than an album I play and instantly like. That said this is not for everybody and it may be that this is just not your type of stuff. If you are not someone who is willing to spend many hours properly listening then it will be difficult to appreciate this and it is understanding that someone may find this music dull as the "hit" is not instant.

Joanna's voice is well known as sometimes difficult on the ear. Despite my liking for her music I will never listen to her music with a hangover, even though some of it is quite soothing and the main reason is that her voice can be quite shrill but I also think some of the songs require this and her singing style has matured and is less grating than on Milk Eyed Mender. Wes obviously wasn't prepared to spend the time listening to this to see if he did like it. Some people want their music to be quick and easy and that is fair enough (I like the raw power and simplicity of punk and hardcore music) but to say this has zero originality or creativity is nonsense as the very fact that Wes has struggled to understand it shows that it must be different in someway to the stuff on the 100 other albums he listens to every year. As rosecross says it is fine to like or dislke one thing or another but it is silly to slam something just becuase you don't get it. I am no fan of Madonna or Michael Jackson but I would not deny their talent even if I am loathe to listen to their music.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 4:00:32 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 4:04:03 AM PDT
Wes says:
You're unable to understand, so I'll try and dumb it down for you: listening to a voluminous and wide-ranging amount of music creates range. This range establishes templates. This gawdawful album fell into the lowest, abominable section. It is horrible music and horrendous "singing". Pity for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 4:07:43 AM PDT
Wes says:
This is an intelligent reply. My range of music appreciation and knowledge is vast (sorry if that sounds like my nose is up in the air, but it's the truth). I listened to JN's previous album and had the same visceral response.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 10:31:46 AM PDT
Dr. B says:
Well, it looks as if you have an opinion on music which is great. However, it is your opinion. I would have to say the first time that I was introduced to her music was on SiriusXMU(An Independent Music channel on Sirius/XM radio). I would say the first time, I honestly didn't care for it and actually made fun of her voice. The next time I heard it, I liked the harp....her changes in tone and her different voice. The next time I listened to it, I actually could not remember her name, but I woke up with the song in my head and her voice. So I researched it and listened to it again...the song was "the book of right on". I have take many hours of music appreciation as I went through my education(and am very well educated if you want to bring that up). Actually for the most part I listen to straight up metal, but that is because I listen to music depending on activity and I do a lot of fitness activities. Other than that, when I am in the car or at my house, there is mostly music on, and stuff I usually have not heard before or rarely as I always try to listen to new or different music.

I have a great admiration for anyone who can produce a different type of sound instead of riding the newest bandwagon. Sounds as if you truly just didn't care for it, and that is fine. But, I would agree with whom ever wrote something about it before me though, that before you make that kind of harsh judgment posting on a public site, you should listen to it more than once. I have watched several different movies that I honestly hated, then I gave it another shot and then could see the reason why it reached the big screen.

I did like your use of your thesaurus though. You pumped out some pretty big words, that made you sound really smart! I also like that you can make up your own words like GAWDAWFUL and feel that will entertain others. I wish you the best on finding your musical self.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 3:23:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2011 3:25:55 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (65 customer reviews)

Reviewer