ARRAY(0xa194a234)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hope you live in a temperate climate..., November 9, 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 8 GB (2nd Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Obviously from all these other reviews this is by far the most functional product out there, and I'm not disputing that at all, I loved my Ipod touch, but they have a ridiculously short lifespan. The kicker is that if you as much as sweat on it or expose it to rapidly changing temperatures (as is common in the upper midwest) your warranty is voided and your Ipod might not last long at all.

I just lost an Ipod touch due to moister condensation from taking it from 30 degree weather to 70 degree weather. That created enough condensation to trip the water marker inside the Ipod which voids the warranty and shorted out the screen. To top it off; that one was actually a replacement for another Ipod touch because the first one I got had a phone jack that broke within a month of normal use, and then this one had a faulty screen due to "water damage" and now Apple conveniently doesn't have to replace it anymore.

Just read some of the discussions on Apples site about Ipods and water damage, it literally takes just one drop of water to short it out and void the warranty.

So if your getting one my advice is to live somewhere that doesn't get too cold or put you in situations that allow moisture condensation to happen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2008 10:18:42 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Huh, I wonder if that's what happened to mine? I just came inside last night, and the screen stopped responding. Then it rebooted, and then finally it won't turn on at all.

I had a lot of other big issues with it too, but geez, my hard drive based iPods have both lasted years, not a month or two.

The Zune software, and every other device I've researched looks incompetent for my purposes (podcasts and audiobooks), so I'm buying an iPod classic, which is what I should have done to begin with :(

Posted on Nov 13, 2008 9:09:13 PM PST

Posted on Nov 20, 2008 10:03:32 AM PST
The same with mine. I used to take my ipod touch to run in the Houston area and it didn't last more than a couple of month. Apple told the guaranty was null because of a water damage. :(((

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 9:35:35 PM PST
This is why I plan on only using it at home or on vacation. I'll use my small Sansa Clip when I'm outdoors, going to school, etc.

Posted on Dec 6, 2008 7:19:27 PM PST
Josh Foot says:

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 1:25:03 AM PST
I dropped my ipod touch in a 4 wheeler and thought i lost it forever when 2 months later my girlfriends brother found it and it worked perfectly no scratches i had a case and screen protector on it and it looked just as it did when i lost it i would say that it went thru "temp changes" and mine is still working so dont listen to this person

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 9:30:42 PM PST
J. Leard says:
I have a junky little Sansa 512MB I use when shovelling or if I'm going to be in inclement weather. While it does limit the use of my iPod, the bottom line is that a Classic or Touch is fairly expensive, and I'm going to go that extra step to protect it. A decent case and room temperature conditions when possible may seem high-maintenance, but it's really part of the cost of the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 2:12:03 PM PST
Sargentrock says:
Yes, it's always great when portable electronics aren't really portable unless they're in a protective case and can't be taken outdoors when the temperature varies too much.

Posted on Jan 9, 2009 12:45:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2009 12:47:10 PM PST
Tim says:
Going from 30 degree climate to 70 degree climate should not cause condensation. I might believe you if it was the other way around.

Posted on Jan 10, 2009 11:07:15 PM PST
sds says:
I've had my 16 gb ipod 2G for a bit over a month. It died last weekend because of moisture. The closest it got to water was when it was in my pocket and I was washing dishes. The Boy Genius at Apple said that it can get too much moisture and die if it is left on a window sill where there is condensation on the window. I am going to try closing it up with a desiccant and seeing if that helps - BG said he knew of one iPhone that was brought back. I have a 5G and a 2G Nano that have never given me any trouble and this one is dead in a month. My first disappointment with Apple.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›