408 of 416 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Rockland Luggage Melbourne 3 Piece Set, Orange, Medium (Apparel)
After having a lot of my stuff trashed on recent flights due to baggage handlers, I decided that I wanted hardside luggage. I have also been fortunate enough to have my luggage lost repeatedly, so I wanted something easy to identify. At the moment, there are not many people who fly with "orange" luggage, so identifying my missing bags is always easy. My last set was orange, and I don't think I could go back to anything less "high profile" with respect to appearance.
With that said, there are a couple of things to keep in mind with this set:
1) Hardside does not equal hard case. The components are likely vacuum formed, and are fairly thin (0.020"?). As such, they are not rigid, but do seem to maintain their shape. Still a far cry better than standard, soft sided luggage.
2) These are budget pieces, and some aspects of them feel cheap. For example, the extendable handle on the carry-on sized piece, is telescoping. When fully extended, the handle dos not feel very robust. Maybe this is because I like to push the suitcase in an upright position while walking though airports (doing so takes bearing the weight of the suitcase off of you and put it onto the wheels). In this mode of operation the handle deflects about an inch due to the plastic bushings in the telescoping pieces.
3) The casters seem to do quite well. They are smooth and quiet, and seem to roll over most surfaces easily. Short carpet provides some extra resistance, but it isn't too bad. Time will tell how they hold up.
4) The Set is advertised as "Super Lightweight", this is true. The suitcases are very light. I would be willing to forgo a little weight savings for the rigidity of a thicker shell. But, again, these are budget minded pieces. The advertising scheme is that with a lighter case, you can pack more of your belongings inside without risk of being "overweight" on the airlines' scales. I figure that the weight savings equate to an extra change of underwear and socks. So, I'm not sure this is a tremendous advantage, as much as it is a marketing ploy. Also, I have high enough frequent flyer status that I do not pay for baggage. So, for me this is a moot point.
Overall, these are decent pieces, but I expect that they will be worn out in 4 or 5 years. I fly a lot, so your mileage may vary...
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2014 8:14:01 PM PDT
What is the interior color of the orange? I got red, but the interior was pink - I couldn't stand it and returned them.
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2014 12:34:57 PM PDT
never realized the color of the inside of luggage was that important..
Posted on Nov 9, 2014 9:02:57 AM PST
Sally Anne Plachetzki says:
Does anyone know if the 3 piece set has the expandable compartment option.
Posted on Sep 16, 2015 3:34:15 PM PDT
Jack Mitchell says:
I know that this item has 600 plus reviews, so there may be little to know chance of me being viewed when a customer comes to a buying decision for this item.
But in the slim chance that an eager customer comes across this review, please read the three points below:..
1. This luggage is priced so low for a reason. (Mine broke within 5 uses, see images)
2. The "WARRANTY" policy is a complete joke (see image below for all of the hoops you have to jump through to return a garbage just to get another garbage bag)
3. Customer service department is hard to get a hold of and then is a completely rude excuse for a Customer Service department. Just an FYI, you are going to want to search for "Fox Luggage" on Google. They hide behind the Rockland brand because it is terrible luggage.
Don't be like me, penny wise and pound foolish. I made the mistake you can avoid.
Spend a little more money and go with a REAL company. Anyone who travels regularly frequently will rip through this luggage in a matter of a few trips.
Amazon's Return Period will be over (30 days) and you will be left with a trashed bag, an asinine return policy designed to de-incentivize you from returning the luggage, a crappy customer service department, and out $125.00 bucks, wishing you spent a little bit more for something worth a damn.
Check these pieces of luggage out instead: Just type the ASIN into the search bar on Amazon.com... Or click on links below
Samsonite Luggage Winfield 2 Fashion 28-Inch HS Spinner (28-Inch, Charcoal)
VonHaus 3 Piece Extra Strong ABS Luggage Set Black
Samsonite Luggage Winfield 2 Fashion HS 3 Piece Set, Orange, One Size
You may be asking how I know these are better? Well, simply they are better because they aren't Rockland... Which instantly makes them better than Rockland, a sorry excuse for a manufacturer of luggage.
A pissed off male 23 year old young professional (probably one the groups you are trying to reach in your circus focus groups)
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2015 4:33:53 PM PDT
Jennifer Olsztynski says:
Thanks Jack, I find your post very useful!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›