5.0 out of 5 stars Big Thumbs Up, April 16, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 60PZ950 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Active 3D THX Certified Plasma HDTV with TruBlack Filter and Smart TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
After pouring through different reviews, forums and any other info I could find on the latest and greatest for 2011, I narrowed my search down to the Panasonic GT30/VT30's or the LGPZ950. I saw a lot of good things about the VT30 from Panasonic but it seemed like the new LGs had a lot of the same features and some extras. The price was right and it was available while the panasonics still had a ways to go before launch so I took the plunge and ordered the LG. Sooooo glad I did. This TV is awesome. Set up was a breeze. The set looks beautiful. Sleek and seamless. The picture is as good or better than anything I've ever seen. Both 2D and 3D look amazing and i didnt get dizzy at all watching 3D like i do in the theaters or on other TVs I've seen at the big box stores.

The apps and media share are great features. The UI in the home screen is very easy to navigate. Setting up wireless connection was also very easy. Everything just kind of worked right out of the box. Integrated Netflix and YouTube is a nice touch, not to mention all the other apps for your social networking. I don't know how much I'll use that stuff since it's way easier just to check those things on a computer really quick, but the option of being able to do it on your TV is nice. The web browser is ok, definitely not going replace your laptop or PC but good enough if you don't want to get up and go to your other tech to look something up or post an update.

I am very pleased with this purchase. I may just be in the honeymoon phase but it is definitely a lot more than I expected. Cheers to LG for a great TV at a very reasonable price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2011 5:43:37 AM PDT
D. Lees says:
thanks, miles. i am so glad you like your PZ -- and thank you very much for posting your review. i was starting to worry that there weren't any other owners out there. we've got the 50" and we're crazy about it. i quick question: are you by any chance running through a HD DVR cable box? we are, and i couldn't get audio with HDMI and had to use THX & audio cables. not a big deal, but just wondering. if not, no worry. i'm very new to all of this, so it's probably just something i'm doing wrong. i'll give the cable co. a call. regards & happy viewing!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 5:18:31 PM PDT
IsaacG says:
I have this tv and my installers said that lots of hd dvr cable boxes are not set up for HDMI. The cable company does have them, but mostly on the newest boxes. My dvr cable box was set up for it, so no problem. You probably need an updated box. I love the tv. the color and picture are amazing. Movies, sports and nature shows are crazy good and regular hd broadcasting is still excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 1:19:30 AM PDT
Hi sorry for the late reply...didn't check off that reply notice box. Loving this TV as well. I do have an HD DVR cable box. The way I have it set up is through an a/v receiver. I have the HDMI from the HD DVR feeding into one of the receiver's inputs and then one main output that goes into the TV's HDMI one slot. I have my PS3 hooked up to slot 2 on the TV and optical running from the TV to the receiver as well since my receiver is from 2009 and doesn't support 3D. Quick work around to get my PS3 working for 3D discs while still getting surround sound via optical. Hope that helps

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 10:23:17 AM PDT
V. DiG says:
Has anyone noticed any fluctuating in the brightness levels when the screen gets bright with mostly a white screen? Does it dim automatically when the screen gets to bright? I have the new Panasonic which it does and it drives me nuts and I have read that Samsung is doing the same with their 2011 models. I'm running out of options and wondering if the LG's are doing the same. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 10:30:28 AM PDT
I haven't noticed anything like that on my PZ950. I've only had it for about three weeks though so I don't know if this would be helpful to you or not. I have the 60 inch version. I've probably put 100+ hours on it in THX cinema mode and now I have it in Sport/Game mode until I get a chance to calibrate. Picture has been rock solid. No complaints here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 2:42:41 PM PDT
V. DiG says:
@Miles - Thanks for the info. Does the TV buzz a lot? Have you found that it does a good job at not retaining images?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 7:58:57 PM PDT
Hi Dig,

I have noticed zero buzzing even up close and have not seen any indication that an image is being retained. It was left paused on the same frame for about 15 minutes by another member of the household who didn't know better and I kind of freaked out but there was zero image retention that I could notice with 20/20 vision. I was always kind of iffy about plasmas because of all the horror stories I've read/heard that gave older plasmas a bad rep, but I gotta say...I am really impressed with this LG. I couldn't ask for more at this price point. I feel like I got the TV at a great price. kudos to Amazon too. I saw the price dip for a day or two and sent them an email and they price matched their own price and refunded me the difference. pretty sweet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›