5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Finally!!!, September 16, 2006
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume One (1969-1974) (DVD)
After many years of fans begging the Sesame Workshop (formerly the Children's Television Workshop) to do a major release of "classic" material from the archives, it appears that they finally relented! I think the success of the Electric Company Set from several months back paved the way...

Let me start out by saying that I'm 29 years old and have been collecting this material for years. The bulk of what I've obtained came from the Noggin channel which was playing old episodes of Street from 1969 to 1989 until they stopped airing them a few years back.

I imagine most of the people interested in this set are familiar with the early years of Sesame Street. It was a chaotic, brilliantly conceived show from day one... very much a product of its time (the late 60s), and although the show was devised to teach kids, it was in its own way as revolutionary in format as Monty Python's Flying Circus was... extremely fast paced and chock full of highly imaginative, trippy animated segments (such as, for example the Racecars Spies number series, best described as a psychedelic freak out with dreamlike, surreal animation regarding numbers one through ten and sung by Grace Slick, then of Jefferson Airplane, in her own inimitable way)... And that's just the tip of the iceberg. For those of you who grew up being hypnotized, and yes, often frightened by the many strange, often subversive animated segments of the show (many of which are permanently etched in your brain; you'd be amazed how vividly some of these clips come back to you even after not seeing them for 25 years or more), still recall with affection the brilliant jazzy orchestrations of show composer Joe Raposo (who wrote the most sophisticated music ever devised for children's TV), remember hanging out with Mr. Hooper and a Gordon who actually had hair (there were actually two other actors who played Gordon before the current bald one we know and love), and loved the rougher, edgier quality of those early muppet segments, this is the release for you. After many years of Schoolhouse Rock being available for purchase (which I love too, but the early Street material is even better in my opinion), we can now look forward to this:

7 hours of classic content

5 complete hour-long episodes (slightly edited due to music rights issues)

Over 54 bonus segments, including:

The original pitch for the show - first time available anywhere!

Celebrity appearances from James Earl Jones, Jesse Jackson, Johnny Cash, Jackie Robinson

Classic segments every parent will remember: "I Love Trash," "Rubber Duckie," "C is for Cookie"

Original animations including Ladybug Picnic, Alligator King, King of Eight

Hopefully this will be the first of many releases of classic Sesame Street! The second volume of the Electric Company will be released in November.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2006 12:20:27 AM PDT
I am so excited about this release. I am 32 years old and will always be an old school sesame street fan.

Posted on Oct 12, 2006 10:40:43 PM PDT
I am 23 and I am constantly reminded what an amazing show this is...and its impact on me growing up...from racial issues to eating healthy...I wish this show was mandatory for all children :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2006 1:08:35 PM PST
Mommy2Two says:
I'm SO excited!!! Is Roosevelt Franklin featured? Or were the makers too PC to add it?

Posted on Nov 30, 2006 2:40:12 PM PST
M. Garcia says:
I'm looking for a segement of the show that was on a VHS cassette. I think it was called the "The Alphabet Game" It had a puppet host and it was a game show. Do you know if this is on the DVDs? I really want to find out because it's hillarious!

Posted on Sep 24, 2007 7:08:54 PM PDT
Chris Ohsiek says:
"King of 8," "Martian Beauty #9," & "Alligator King & his 7 Sons" can be seen on DVDs w/the contemporary stuff & still shown today in prime time(technically new episodes 5 days/wk). They're not part of any of the 5 season premieres. But they're the most popular. I would've preferred other early years clips such as "Queen of 6," "10 Tiny Turtles," & more episodes from the original # series "Racecar Spies," "Baker-falling-down-Stairs," & "Mad Painter" (played by Paul Benedict)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 1:04:13 PM PST
Hi, I was wondering if this set has the segment "Who You lookin at Tiger" ? Anybody know??
Thanks

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 8:45:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2009 8:46:40 PM PDT
Cindy says:
I think this would be a great set. I am 46 and Sesame Street was previewed in my elementary school in NYC, back in the day.
It is timeless. I too hope there is more to come.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2010 6:35:04 AM PDT
OneOpinion says:

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:47:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 7:54:15 PM PDT
Please, please, please! I gave my daughters favorite Sesame Street VHS tape to Goodwill and she's never let me forget it. I can't find it anywhere. It's ABC's and 123's. It has a picture of Grover standing next to a street lamp or street sign on the front of the tape box and is mostly blue in color, I think. One of the segments has the girl puppets twirling their ponytails and another is a number song with the little doll house and a cat looks into the rear window of the dollhouse and then crawls through the window at the end of the song. If anyone knows where or how I can get this tape, PLEASE let me know. I'd very much appreciate it - I feel sooo-oo badly about giving my daughter's favorite tape away. She's 25 now and still remembers it. So do I. I don't know what I was thinking when I gave it away. Anyone with any information - please reply to this post. Thank you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 7:09:51 PM PDT
K.M. says:
I think you are referring to Learning About Numbers and Learning About Letters. Both are available on DVD on Amazon. They are both classic Sesame Street.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (253 customer reviews)

$39.90 $24.90