5.0 out of 5 stars Naked and helpless without it, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Timex Women's T5E951 Ironman Traditional 30-Lap Black/Light Blue Resin Strap Watch (Watch)
I'm addicted to this watch and let me tell you--I use and abuse it. It's been on my wrist for 2yrs10mos; honestly I can recall less than a dozen times I've had it off. This watch has been to Burning Man (extremely harsh conditions) and around the world (18 countries, 35 cities). It's been on hikes and runs. It's been submersed without abandon. I use nearly every single function, constantly. I have never had another sport-type watch and yet I didn't have to read the instructions in order to use it. I find the functions very intuitive.

When I say I use the functions I don't mean that I used the timer once to hard-boil some eggs. I mean that I actually USE all the functions ALL DAY LONG. I consult all three time zones daily because I have/had a husband in Iraq and have friends and family abroad. I use the chrono/lap four times per day to monitor the baby's naps. I use the timer at least six times/day for the laundry, heating bottles, and with the "repeat at end" function to remind me to drink water every two hours. (I could use a 2nd timer, to be honest.) I use the alarms and love that they can be set for only weekdays, only weekends, or every day. (What a great idea!) I use the nightlight every night since the baby is up at least once and, naturally, I open one bleary eye to check the time. Regarding the night light I wish the light stayed on a little longer and I find the flick light function to be worthless. You'll break bones in your wrist flicking it hard enough to make the light come on.

This watch has been on the slopes and in rainstorms, pools, hot tubs, and the ocean. It's been on my wrist for every shower I've ever taken and submersed in dishwater twice a day. The highest compliment I can give the water-resistance feature is that I have never hesitated before doing something while wearing the watch. I just assumed it would work and it did. I have never had a water problem with it.

I replaced the battery once, I think. (Maybe twice?) I haven't had the band breakage issues that others have had, possibly because I never take it off and thus never "stress" the band. The silver paint around the face began to wear off shortly after I got it and it's looking pretty WT right about now but the plastic under the paint is sort of a metallic-ish tan/silver so it's not really too noticeable to other people unless they are really looking at my watch. Demerits for that.

The styling is definitely "sporty" and it doesn't translate well to dress clothes. I covet those Tissot/TAG/etc metal casual watches but to be honest, I can't do without the precision chrono and timer let alone the awesomeness of never having to remember what day of the week (or month) it is because I can always just look at my wrist. Why doesn't Timex make one of these in metal? I don't mind the digital display, just sometimes would like something other than resin and rubber.

After 2yrs10mos the band finally broke when my daughter pulled on it. I'm ordering the exact same style and would pay ten time this much for the amount of use and functionality I got out of it. Highly recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2012 5:56:47 AM PST
Ditto! I live and die by this thing.
My only complaint is the same desire as you have -- for a nice, silver metal version of this very same watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:07:48 PM PST
They do make one! I found it, bought it, wear it. This is my go-to watch for any outing when I don't want to look like Sport Mom or I-Didn't-Bother-To-Primp-For-This-Date Wife. The style works for all but the dressiest occasions. It is pretty heavy but I'm okay with it. It's a man's watch and I'm not. I only took out one link so it works like a bracelet watch on me. I have to say that it looks a bit manly on my super-lean, sporty, tiny, US Marine friend so if you are a woman who already leans a bit in that direction you might not be able to pull it off without looking man-ish. (Unless that is the goal.) If I can find a pic that shows it well enough I'll post it on the product page for the watch.

Good luck!

Timex Men's T56371 Ironman Triathlon 42 Lap Combo Analog Digital Dress Watch

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:23:32 PM PST
Yikes! I did not pay this much for the SS watch. Much less. It is cool, though, and still less than most on the market.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 10:53:49 AM PDT
N Schu says:
Thank you very much for the time you put into this comment, it was part of the deciding factor for when I bought mine. (I am very happy with it).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 9:19:53 PM PDT