Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller But Not The Best In The Series, October 17, 2011
This review is from: The Queen,: A Patrick Bowers Thriller (The Bowers Files Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
First let me say I'm a big fan of Steven James to the point where he's on my short list of must-read authors. He truly is a gifted storyteller and a fantastic writer - one of the best ever. I've highly enjoyed all of the Patrick Bower series and The Queen was no exception. In this book Patrick not only deals with a freed serial killer who's killing again but a possible world shattering catastrophic event. The writing is superb as usual. The story is very good but here is where I have an issue. Half of the story is personal drama dealing with Patrick's family, mainly his brother and sister-in-law. Although it's well written and the spiritual questions and thoughts on forgiveness are quite powerful, it took way too much time away from the thriller aspect of the story. In the past the family drama was just a side thread but in The Queen it cover's way too many pages and slows the story down. The world-shattering plot could have made this the best Bower's book yet but unfortunately that did not happen. Don't let this stop you from reading this book; it's still worth buying. When the thriller aspect picks up you'll be losing a lot of sleep and the whodunit question will keep you guessing until the last page.

The surprises at the end of the book made me sit for a long time and try to think if they made sense. Obviously I can't tell you what happens but if you're the thinking type you may be in for a brain spasm. To me there were no clues to whom the main villians were even though it was explained how they were figured out in the end. Was it a cheap shot by the author or was it really thought out? Read it for yourself and find out.

1 Star = Pathetic
2 Stars = Fair
3 Stars = Good
4 Stars = Excellent
5 Stars = Life changing

For those who give me a negative vote on my review please comment and let me know why. I'd like to improve my reviews so they can be helpful to those who read them. Please understand I choose not to give a synopsis of the book because it's already given at the top of the books page. In doing so too many reviewers give away too much of the plot. Thank you.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 8:52:25 AM PDT
I can't give you a negative on your review because it's your opinion and you are writing how you felt about the work. However I don't think you would spoil the story line by offering a little more detail about the writing or the plot in a thriller rather than just going into generalities. I've found that my best reviews contain a lot of detail for a prospective reader rather than just a few of my thoughts. I've read some of your other reviews and they are good. Don't be so hard on yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 3:04:07 PM PDT
Steve Taylor says:
Thank you for your input. On my next review I'll keep your comments in mind. I'm really not hard on myself - I have a wife for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 3:18:23 PM PDT
Ah you too. Where would we all be without the assistance and guidance of our better halves . Keep reviewing, I'll look forward to reading more of your work in the coming months.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 4:50:11 PM PST
Kindleista says:
I like your definition of star ratings. I almost feel bad sometimes giving a book I loved 4 stars because it seems like everyone these days gives 5 stars to books they like and 1 star to books they dislike, as if there were no options in between. I would rename 5 stars as "Unforgettable" though as no book has ever changed my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 1:40:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 3:07:57 PM PST
Steve Taylor says:
Thanks you Kindleista for your compliment. I'm like you where I find the five star rating tough to use in certain circumstances. I do however stick by my "Life Changing" five star status. I firmly believe the Bible is a life-changing book therefore any book, fiction or not, that clearly glorifies God and upholds Scripture can be life changing also. Sometimes I'll give a book five stars even though the story may not be that great or the writing is sub par but I'll always mention that in my review. Firstly I read books to strengthen my relationship with Christ, entertainment comes second.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:04:46 AM PST
I just wanted to tell you that I greatly appreciate the fact your review ISN'T full of excerpts from the book. I read reviews to see what people think, not to hear their retelling of the story. If I want the story, I will read it for myself. I also appreciate your "star system" and feel it is very similar to how I think when "grading" a book. Thank you for reviewing this particular book. Steven James is one of the best Christian authors on the market today...some other well-known authors could learn a thing or two about plotting out a story and executing it from him. Thanks again, and happy reading!

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 7:05:50 AM PST
L. Winzer says:
Thank you for the key to your perspective of the star rating. If everyone used this same standard, fewer books would receive 5 star rating without deserving it.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 3:35:53 AM PST
Ellie says:
Just here to echo Melissa- I, too, prefer a review that doesn't read like a book report. As you stated, there's a synopsis already in place for that, and that sort of review tends to contain too many spoilers.
And your star rating system should be implemented site wide! I hope you haven't patented it, since I'm "totally" planning to use it. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:52:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 3:04:06 PM PST
Steve Taylor says:
Feel free to use my rating system. As of today the government hasn't approved my patent. Glad you like it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›