2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Invalid License, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Dell Latitude D610 Laptop CD-RW/ DVD Wireless Computer (Refurbished) (Personal Computers)
I bought one of these laptops two months ago. It has been working just fine. Today Microsoft told me that the license is not valid. It has a valid certificate of authenticity on the back but does not have a second "refurbished" CoA. When I look at the internal System Properties/General tab it says "XP Corporate" which means it was covered under a volume/site license which can not be transferred or sold. I will probably have to buy a fresh copy of XP ($150) and re-install.

Before I made the order I checked to see that the advertisement specified "Genuine Windows XP". I also checked the CoA when it arrived. When the Microsoft updater offered to run "Genuine Advantage" to check the authenticity I confidently thought "sure, go right ahead." Now every time I restart I get a big message that says I am a victim of software piracy. If left uncorrected, I expect the operating system would eventually simply stop running.

Some vendors specify "Genuine Windows XP". If it arrives with XP it may be legitimate, or NOT. Microsoft has a very active updating and authenticating program. You probably don't want a system that is not kept up to date and free of security vulnerabilities. The updater will check the system validity.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2009 7:53:05 AM PST
Dave says:
Great information! Thanks for letting us all know about this. There's always a reason for such a discounted price which we are often not made aware of.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 9:25:33 AM PST
R says:
Thanks DB -- Happy to help. When you combine the $300 plus $150 XP license + $50 for 2GB RAM I've spent $500: For $550 I could have had a Dell Inspiron 15 with 4GB of RAM and a 15" screen. Ya just can't get away without kissing a frog once in a while!?

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 6:10:29 AM PDT
R.C. says:
I have two suggestions for you my friend. 1 try and change the key at the time of activation. see this article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810892

If that does not work you need to reinstall using the proper media, which I understand that you may not have please read on.

If you can find the dell cd for your laptops version of windows.. like if the COA cays Microsoft Windows XP Professional. There are green dell cd's for that OS out there, you can use that to reinstall windows and use the key off your coa and you are good as gold. If you cant find one, find a repair tech alot of repair tech guys keep a collection of cd's for different manufacturers. I know that I have one of them laying around.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 6:26:24 AM PDT
R says:
Thank you RC. Since my review I installed another copy of XP on the Dell 610. It worked and I have been a happy camper ever since. However, I will not buy from that vendor again.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 3:18:04 AM PDT
The information given by this customer was very detailed and helpful.
Thanks!
Ike

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 3:20:26 AM PDT
This is very informational and helpful.
Thanks!
Ike

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 9:24:30 AM PST
this (review) was copied and pasted on 4 models.Whats wrong with that picture???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 10:09:48 AM PST
R says:
Ron: Check carefully and you will see that all models are the same and the comment does apply.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 5:11:29 PM PDT
R. Davis says:
Could this computer not be returned to the seller? A friend of mine had this problem once. By the time we were finish with them, they stopped selling windows computers or any other for that matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:55:03 PM PDT
clarissa says:
i was thinking about buying this notebook is this the right choice
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (225 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $90.00