4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Olympus E-PL5 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens (Black) (Electronics)
Overall, this camera is pretty good package. I have EPL5 with Zuiko 12mm f2.0 for everyday shooting and Zuiko 45mm f 1.8 sometimes (amazingly sharp lens, best pictures it takes on ELP5).

Few thoughts and why i'm keeping this camera.
1) small camera, i can put it in my jacket's pocket.
2) excellent low light camera. I take a lot of indoor pictures of my family and with 12mm and 45mm, there is no need to flash most of the times + images are great.
3) Image stabilization is good. not excellent like OMD-E5 but still better than nothing (my D300). it actually takes very few blurry pictures in low light conditions, mainly due to person in motion rather than your hand shaking.
4) Amazing pictures with 45mm f 1.8,. The image quality just sold me. I never got this good sharper and detailed image quality with nikon D300 with 50mm f1.8. I'm not a pro, I wanted good image quality so opted for DSLR, but this gives you DSLR quality images or better than my D300 in my opinion.
5) Very wide and fast focusing with 12mm for videos. i like to take videos too and this camera takes good 1080p video. I do see a bit of pixelization in high motion mov. AVI is just 720p and is much smoother quality but larger file. Overall, I'm not blown away by video but not disappointed either. I was disappointed with OMD-E5's focusing so i returned it for EPL5. I'm not sure why focusing is slower OMD-E5 otherwise OMD beats EPL5 hands down.
6) Has one dial for changing shooting modes. I prefer atleast two to change aperature or shutter speed faster. You can still do it but it's a 2 step process in EPL5.
7) tough screen to take a snap is useful at times. you can pick the point where you want to focus and take a picture. I found it useful than replying on camera at times.
8) battery is great. I took 387 pictures and dozen of movie. Camera still has plenty of battery. Battery charger is old school chord & it sucks but not a big deal.
9) Flash attachment is ok, not great. It's not too powerful and you cannot bounce. With f2.0 and f 1.8 i haven't taken too many pics with flash, since room light is enough. i might buy external flash later on.
10) Tilt able screen is good if you wan to bring the camera down to a kid's level and bring the screen at 90 degree to take a shots. I use it a lot.
11) There are bunch of built in effect. I like some of them but these are personal choice.
12) I'm just taking Jpegs since RAW shows as not supported in Aperature.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this camera and considering selling my D300.

[Add comment]