5.0 out of 5 stars Once you go large sensor, it's hard to go back!, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Sony NEXVG10 Full HD Interchangeable Lens Camcorder (Black) (Electronics)
Recently, I went to Disneyland with relatives and shot with both the NEX-VG10 and the HDR-CX550V. While each has its unique advantages, I found I had more fun editing the NEX-VG10 footage. I actually want to watch it over and over, maybe because of the strong bokeh effect, I feel like my work is closer to what we see in movies and TV.

I wanted to support the reviewer before me, that this camcorder isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Really wish I had this during my film school days... my dream camcorder is the upcoming NXCAM FS100, but not all of us can afford the $5850 retail price tag. Thanks to Sony though, for making the lenses compatible with both models.

Sound quality: I'm very satisfied with the NEX-VG10's microphone. The tiny fur cover is great, I can just leave it on, and the sound isn't muffled at all. One of my main gripes with the HDR-CX550V is that the microphone is too sensitive to wind. The NEX-VG10 doesn't have that problem.

My recommended accessories for the NEX-VG10: a high capacity battery (specifically, Opteka's cheaper NP-FV100), a spacious camera backpack (especially if you're going to get more lenses), 16GB SDHC memory card, 67mm polarizer filter, and quality lens cleaner supplies.

Some minor problems: in bright sunlight, it can be hard to see the LCD, which I prefer over the viewfinder. But if you attach a sunshade to the LCD, it blocks the side controls. Also, I find that the autofocus is a tad slow. Focusing manually is much more efficient. I encountered some moire in shooting rooftops and a chain link fence. Since I bought mine used, I had the misfortune of some weird residue on the sensor. Had to take it to Samy's Camera for a professional cleaning, but it was good as new afterwards (for only $35!).

If you look me up on YouTube, I have some sample videos that you can check out. I think one of the best ways to choose a camcorder is to see what it can do and if it fits your specific needs. For me, ultimately, it's storytelling. There are some NEX-VG10 videos out there that impressed me so much... the sheer emotion that you can evoke with its cinematic shots. Looking forward to making sweet, sweet art with this baby!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2011 12:29:56 AM PDT
Z. JENSEN says:
Your title... you do realize that the NEX series camcorder and cameras are not Micro Four Thirds right? These cameras and built on the larger APS-C sensor with a 1.5x crop factor (from 35mm) rather than m4/3's 2x crop factor.

There is no micro four thirds sensor that can come anywhere near the quality of the sensors in these NEX cameras and camcorder.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:37:28 AM PDT
davyface says:
Thanks for pointing that out. This technology is still so new to me. I'll change my title for accuracy's sake.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (23 customer reviews)

$1,999.99 $1,952.09