Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic and Not Worth the Price, December 23, 2012
This review is from: NIX 8 inch Hi-Res Digital Photo Frame with Motion Sensor (X08D) (Electronics)
Decided to purchase this one because of all the positive customer reviews. But after receiving the product, I'm not really sure what everyone was so thrilled about. This was *supposed* to be a Christmas present for my dad. Looks like he's getting something else instead.

I should have known I'd be in for trouble when I opened the box and unpacked the frame. The front cover of the frame made a "snapping" noise when I first picked it up, as if the black border of the frame was snapping into place. The plastic feels flimsy and not well made. But of course, most people aren't going to carry frames around with them so I didn't let this bother me too much. Besides, I liked the aesthetic of the frame.

Next, I loaded up a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card with ~1200 JPGs. Each file was between 250-750kb in size. I also threw on 22 relatively low-resolution 3GP videos that I had taken using an older smartphone camera.

I noticed immediately that, when navigating through any menus that read the folder structure off the SDHC card and showed a photo, the device would hang for extended periods of time. Sometimes it would hang for so long (over 60 seconds) that I would assume the device had locked and would just restart it by pulling the plug.

So I tried just starting the slideshow. The transitions between photos were absolutely awful; aliased / jagged and jerky. For the life of me, I couldn't find a transition that simply showed the next slide like you would see in a slide show (i.e. no transition effects).

The video quality of the device was so-so. I've seen better. I've seen worse. For the price I paid for this thing, I've seen better.

Didn't even try the video playback. Of all the 3GP movies I loaded, only a few would actually even show up as "Supported" by the device. So I tried a WMV file that I created using Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7; no luck... the frame said it wasn't supported either.

Also, something odd I noticed: Some settings wouldn't stick after unplugging the device. This wasn't consistent; sometimes they stuck and sometimes they didn't. The only setting that I never saw get "reset" from unplugging the frame was the time.

Other minor gripes: Boot up time takes longer than I'd expect. The non-photo menus navigated slowly and the kickstand in the back is off-center which will cause the frame to teeter if on a slightly uneven surface. I understand the designer wanted the frame to be used in portrait or landscape mode but there are other ways to design a kick stand that would have made the device more stable. Oh, and the clock defaults to 2010. Could it be that was when this thing was designed and manufactured? Because that would explain a lot...

I didn't try the motion sensor or auto-rotate functionality.

Sending the device back to Amazon because of the device freezing but even without that problem, I wouldn't pay such a high price for such a mediocre device.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]