5.0 out of 5 stars The reason to buy this, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-7 Part 1 Gift Set [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've read a few reviews on this product, and the reviews that had low ratings were because they didn't see why you would purchase this collection. I understand you probably wouldn't buy this if you already had all the DVDs or even for that matter a couple of the VHSs. The reason I would buy this is because I don't have a copy of any of them for myself, and getting all of them so far in Blu-ray format is a plus. Now I know you might think, "then why not wait until that last part of "The Deathly Hallows" comes out, because they are just going to put them all in a box then." You have a valid point, but at the same time it isn't that big of a deal to me to get these ones now and then just buy the single when it comes out later. Either way if you are looking for a collection and want them all in Blu-ray format, and you can't wait until the very last one comes out on tape, then buy it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2011 12:03:28 PM PDT
I agree with this point of view. Plus, I want them in order to watch them again before the final installment comes out.

Posted on May 4, 2011 3:26:34 PM PDT
M. Avery says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 9:51:06 AM PDT
amauch says:
M. Avery:

Vhs and beta unfortunately are becoming a has been item. Manufacturers are still making vhs/dvd combo players still because there is a big enough group of people that still have a lot of vhs's (I'm one of them). With blu-ray and most people having DVD players most film companies aren't producing vhs any more. The reason I mentioned VHS in my post was because the the first and second Harry Potter films came out on VHS as well, the third might have as well, but I can't remember. I'm sure after you have checked the stores that were selling this pack, you've noticed that they aren't selling them in VHS either.

Posted on May 18, 2011 6:09:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2011 6:19:44 AM PDT
I agree. I usually wait for DVD boxed sets, trilogy collections, etc; before I will buy just the first DVD that I know will have sequels following it. I know a good set will come out eventually, I have the patience, and I don't mind paying for an extra 1 or 2 DVDs down the road at all if I have to. *shrug* It's called thinking smarter--NOT harder... ;)

Posted on May 19, 2011 8:59:12 PM PDT
I said this set would happen, and that it is incredibly silly. It's 7 and a half movies, you'll get the second half separately? lol

There has been box sets for every new Potter film, and it is just Madness, and I wonder what sort of person would buy every box set... surely they only bought one of these sub box sets, it's just insane.

I haven't bought any harry potter movies, no star wars, no anything... I've been patiently waiting for a Saga Collection, and for a complete Harry Potter set. It just seems the most reasonable thing to do.

But if you want to do this it's fine... I'm just not sure there are many who haven't bought any of these DVDs yet, and fear the ones who buy every 1-? set.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 12:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2011 1:22:57 AM PDT
I would never buy the whole new set (after this one, lol, that's just absolutely pointless, IMO--unless you're an avid collector of this series/franchise), just the new 1 or 2 DVDs that would come out down the road. No big deal to me. It's been almost 10 whole years, and I haven't bought even ONE Harry Potter movie. I always borrowed them from friends and family whenever I wanted to watch them. But I'm ready to buy now, and that's all that matters to me. As far as the ones who have bought DVD after DVD or set after set... well... then I would probably be pretty angry about this set, too, having 'thrown away' all that hard-earned ca$h. But guess what? I never did that, and those that did can cry, whine and lash out all they want to. Those were financial decisions THEY made--NOT mine, heh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 1:15:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2011 1:21:31 AM PDT
Kudos to you, though, Mason for deciding to wait for the saga. I just know when I'm ready to buy, I'm ready to buy. Besides... if I do decide to buy the saga later on down the road, I would most likely just sell this set first before buying. ;)

Posted on May 21, 2011 7:56:56 PM PDT
dgatwood says:
At the moment, it costs $10 more to buy the set of seven than to buy the set of 6 and buy the seventh by itself. So yeah, I'd say the folks saying the 7-movie collection is bonkers are right on the money, at least based on the prices I'm seeing right now. Also, it would probably make more sense to buy 1-6, then wait for the second half of #7 to come out, then buy all of #7 together at the same time. Just personal preference, really.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 2:53:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2011 3:06:51 AM PDT
^^^ Coincidence. That's exactly what I decided to do. I bought the 6-DVD set from Wal-Mart yesterday. It was $10 less, like you said... and plus, I thought about it and I don't mind waiting for a DVD double feature set for Deathly Hallows 1 & 2. I think I made the right choice--for ME, at least. I'm quite happy with my final decision. ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›