5.0 out of 5 stars Unleash your creativity, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Sharpie Stained by Sharpie Brush-Tip Fabric Marker, 8-Pack, Assorted Colors (1779005) (Home)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are quite a few things I like about these markers:

1. It is a medium with no learning curve. As someone who has worked with hot glass for over 10 years.... it is sure nice to have something you can pick up without worry, danger or the need for lessons to get basic technique down. These are a lot of fun to use, more so than I would have thought. I like the brush tip. The ink flow is somewhere between a pen and brush. Between the 2 you can get quite a variety of effects. A light tough gives you feathering, a little more pressure a solid line. You can vary the width and intensity depending on how you hold it and how hard you press.

2.. The colors are bright and water fast. I was a little worried at first and washed the first shirt I made inside out so that if it bled it would do so on the t-shirt and not other clothing. No bleedine (either as I drew or in the wash) no problem! I would not give these to a 5 year old... who knows how long it would take to get off skin (but the same can be said of any permanent marker).

3. The ink will take on a variety of surfaces. I'd planned to use these with sneakers and a canvas bag which is very plain/ dull. I tried them out first on some inexpensive blank t-shirts I got to work in (yard work, hot glass... where I do not want good clothing ruined). So, I figured since these were meant to be effectively disposable it was a good way to try out the markers before using them on more expensive, less easily replaced items. I liked the results so much and had so much fun decorating the shirts... they are no longer as disposable as they once were ;).

4. They can also be used for basic Id on clothing, lunch boxes.... things which tend to get lost at school. The colors make it a lot more fun!

Note: the "stained" in the title is an appropriate descriptor both because of the permanence and because of the transparency. What you get are colors much like stained glass. The transparency gives you nice bright colors, but (and this is my only issue... not complaint exactly) because the colors are transparent they do not show up as well on darker cloth. They worked well on white, light blue... but only the black & blue were very visible on a maroon shirt. Maybe (hoping) they will come out with some opaque colors (like the gel pens). That would open up a whole new range. It's a small limitation and one I would not have thought of had I not gone hog wild with this set of markers.

When you consider the cost of art media, or a designer shirt.... you get a lot for the money! You can not buy even a screened artist shirt for what these markers cost. For just over $10 you can have a one of a kind item! Less expensive and just and enduring as those calanders made with kid's art e.g. I am thinking of all kinds of ways these can be used. I may have to order another set (and if they come out with opaque colors, will get one for sure)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2011 4:08:32 PM PDT
DAVERAT says:
Thanks for being so thorough in your review. You answered quite a few questions I was pondering while reading reviews. I understand when folks are in a hurry and just want to say something is fab but I really appreciate it when somebody takes the time to address the same questions anyone would have. Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 1:59:26 PM PDT
E.Swope says:
Thank you very much :) I know that the question I would have had (and did have before I used them) was about bleeding. It's why I was cautious and washed things seperately the first time (*and which was something I thought others would worry about too).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›