4.0 out of 5 stars It's Likely You Won't Actually DO The Work, December 7, 2011
This review is from: The Flinch (Kindle Edition)
Please know that I am biased. Julien and I wrote Trust Agents together, and we are writing another book due in 2012 together. But if you are willing to accept that I'll write this review for you, the reader, and not on behalf of Julien, my friend, then we can get along. Otherwise, skip and read what others will say.

The Flinch is a book of action. As such, I'm skeptical that you, the reader, will actually do the actions that Julien recommends, even though that's the big reason to read a book like this. But, let's say for a moment that you DO step into the icy cold shower or throw your coffee mug to the ground. Let's say that you DO learn what it means to take on the difficult work of reprogramming some behaviors that have been with you since you were a child. The rewards are phenomenal.

This book is brief. It is also free. But neither detail means that it's an "easy" read. Julien Smith is essentially challenging you to change your perceptions, alter your habits and reflexes, and then reap the rewards of doing this. It's a book that will push you to be brave. It's a book that challenges you to be more honest. It's a book that, if executed, will give you a chance at pushing ahead of those around you because you'll be facing everything with a much more open stance.

Please prove me wrong. Please do the work. Please dare to attack your behaviors and embrace the flinch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2011 5:36:52 AM PST
M.H. Auclair says:
Three reviews all loving the book, but not one says a single word about what "The Flinch" is, or how it may affect our lives? Reviews should be more than mere cheering and approval. They should say something of what a book is actually about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 6:36:13 AM PST
davedelaney says:
It's an inspiring book with real examples of how to fight procrastination and fear. Does this help?

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:57:01 AM PST
I just started reading it and I do hope with this book people start really creating in a way they have not done before. But my deeper hope is that people start collaborating. I had the honor of being asked to join The Domino Street Team last year and hired two people and collaborated with four and helped on all the book releases. That's an even bigger idea. Reach out and collaborate and create. At the end of this year, after Seth shared he is ending the Domino Project initiative, he also referenced Kickstarter as a way for people who are ready to create, ready to lead to get out there and do so. So when are we going to do that? I am collaborating on three projects that will go up on Kickstarter. So I'm saying reach out. Also mentor others. I've mentored six twenty-somethings this year. We can all start building through our creations and collaborations. Can't wait to get pushed even more out of my comfort zone for next year. And, by the way, anyone who wants help from others should look at gifts of books like these as their tickets to a better tomorrow for them. That seems to me to be the intention and when we get that we do even more.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 10:27:57 AM PST
Excellent point, Chris. Every time I hear an "expert" or exemplar talk about how to accomplish something they've already achieved, I always think: If it were that easy, we'd all be doing it. Yes, it's one thing to know what to do, quite another to have dealt with the internal demons that prevent that from happening. I'm reading The Flinch now and grateful to the Domino Project for making this free and therefore easy to share/spread. But at the end of the day it's all about taking personal responsibility, knuckling down, and facing those fears; it's what separates those who say they want something but don't do anything about it -- and those of us who ache to achieve our purpose and won't let anything stop us!

What I most appreciate, however -- and why I'm writing this -- is your honesty in divulging your relationship to the author. I do wish more folks who post reviews and comments would at least do the same.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:33:26 AM PST
Brogan! What a great way to step back into the social fold. I'm so glad to see you support a project like this. Loved Trust Agents, and looking forward to the next book. Yes, I'll give this a read. I have no idea if I can follow the instructions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (349 customer reviews)

$0.00