3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the most part - New update added for 2014!, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master Security Camera System with Night Vision (961-000337) (Camera)
I've been waiting for an inexpensive HD security system to come out. This system is pretty good and, for the most part, does what I want it to do.

SETUP: Setup isn't too bad. Just remember to read the directions but there are a few gotchas such as, you can't plug the camera side or the network side plugs into a power strip because of the circuitry screws up the data making it out of the power strip. This leads to the first problem I have. You have to use a dedicated outlet for each plug. In my older house, plugs are few and far between.

SOFTWARE: The software installation was quick and painless. Immediately the software updated the firmware for my camera which was nice. The software controls are OK. It's missing some key features in my opinion. There is no "record" button. So it only records if it detects motion. I want the ability to be able to record on demand.

MOTION: You can select up to 6 zones that trigger recordings and alerts when there is movement. The downside is, the zones are only square. I wish you could make angles as well. The motion is too sensitive imho. I have it all the way down and it finally seems to be only pick up large movement.

CAMERA: The camera is of very high quality. It is all metal and it feels solid and like it will last a long time. I was surprised on how well built it is. It also has a microphone that works really well. It picks up everything. The last thing is the night vision. It works pretty good. The image quality is pretty good. I give it an 8 out of 10 when looking at the picture in the software. To my surprise, the image when viewing the videos manually are better!

REMOTE VIEWING: Viewing the image on my iphone is pretty cool. There is about a 5-10 second delay, which is to be expected. Viewing the image at [...]is decent, though you already know from the other reviews that there is no sound with remote viewing.

ALERTS: The email alerts are cool but I wish they would send you a screen shot as to why there was an alert. So imagine you get an alert, you log onto [...] or view the picture on your phone and now whatever it is that triggered the alert is gone, so you have no ideas what happened. On top of that, the free viewing doesn't have any way to rewind to see what's going on, so you'll have to wait until you get home. One workaround is, if you have remote software for your PC, you can remotely connect to your PC and view the software that way, but most users will have no idea how to do this.
The other alert is right on your desktop, which seems cool at first, a sound is made and then a small picture pops up. the problem is, you can't click the picture to make it bigger, it just disappears after a few seconds.

OTHER: The cord that comes with the camera is not long enough. I think it's 25ft. Which is decent, but they should give you 100ft for the money that you pay. You can buy more cord but I feel you shouldn't have to with the first camera.

All in all, I like this setup though it could use some improvements here and there. I plan to keep mine and add more cameras hoping they improve the software.

UPDATE: After doing some research over the weekend, I realize how bad the Logitech software really is. Instead I decided to go with software called, "Blue Iris" which is worlds better than the Logitech software in every way. So much so, I paid $50 for it. After that, I realized that the appeal of the Logitech camera system starts to fade since I could literally buy any camera and use it with Blue Iris. Currently I am running Blue Iris with one Logitech 700e and my Logitech C910 HD webcam and it works flawlessly. Admittedly it's not going to be as easy for normal folk, but for a techie like me, it's more than worth the effort. Bottom line, if you decide to get the Logitech camera, don't waste your money on the "System" package and just get the camera and purchase Blue Iris instead. Or, do what I plan to do, research similar cameras and see what my options are.

BTW - If you want to just connect to your camera, download VLC player and then use the "Advanced File Open" menu and type "[...]" or "[...] Cheers!

11/5/2011 Update: OK, I've had the cameras for almost a year now. I've been really happy with them. For the price, you can't beat it. I raised the stars back to 3. I still ding it for a few things. I really wish it was 30fps, but I guess it would be a lot of bandwidth over the internet, so they probably made a decision to chop it 15fps to conserve bandwidth and to save a little money on the camera side. I still use Blue Iris for 99% of my recording(I record 24/7 for 7 days). I actually use the email alerts with Logitech over Blue Iris since Blue Iris has a bug where it spits garbage onto the screen and falsely sets off the motion. I mentioned in my earlier review that there are no pictures with the email alerts. I was wrong, there is! I have caught somebody casing my house(they ended up robbing my next door neighbors house), I caught an accident, and a couple of drug deals. I see which critters walk around my house at night(raccoons, cats, and skunks), and catch everything from spiders to birds to every solicitor that comes to my door. I love knowing when people are coming and going. I see when packages are delivered and all with great clarity. If Logitech could add 24/7 recording, diagonal blocks on the motion page and lower the price of the yearly subscription, I would give them a 5. Anyhoo, just thought I'd post again since I felt my 2 stars were a bit low.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 7:50:01 PM PDT
D. O'hara says:
awesome, just what I've been looking for, keep seeing craptastic security package deals for ridiculous sums of money, good to hear i'm not the only one noticing this

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 1:47:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2011 1:48:34 PM PDT
AJ CA says:
RE the final paragraphs of this review: The Logitech camera's built-in SD recording capability makes it much more appealing to me than using other cameras with Blue Iris, etc. That SD feature is a major selling point since I don't want to leave a PC on all the time, or even a router.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 1:01:03 PM PST
Dubbskin says:
With the Blue Iris are you able to select zones for motion detection as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 1:05:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 1:05:56 PM PST
Yes, you can select zones no problem.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 11:26:30 AM PST
David,

First... a Thank You for your update! It's nice to hear a reviewer's opinion of a product after spending some time with the device. I'm about to embark on the construction of a new garage with living space above and have always desired a security camera system.

Before deciding on your current system, did you research traditional CCTV systems? How do they compare to the wireless solutions available (pros & cons)? I realize CCTV is likely more expensive but I want to give them due consideration as they may provide better resolution. Making a decision soon is important as I would imagine that a CCTV system is more easily integrated during the framing stage of construction.

Thanks again!

ck

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 3:38:14 PM PST
Honestly, It's hard to say since I feel the HD security camera market is transitioning. When I bought my cameras a year ago, there were no HD IP security cameras less than one-thousand. Just a quick glance around, I see some for five-hundred-forty-nine. Are they any good? I don't know? Also, when you say traditional CCTV I immediately think horribly low resolution cameras(360-480 lines interlaced) that have old BNC connectors and you can only hook it up to a security camera monitor. Also, they don't have IP built in, so you can't view it while you are away. Now, if you are asking about comparable, newer security cameras that have HD and IP built in, then that's a different story. Like I said in the beginning. it looks like HD IP cameras are getting cheaper. I don't know much about the other cameras since I haven't done the research. I still think the Logitech cameras are a good buy for the price. I hope this helps :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 9:29:33 AM PST
David,

When using the term CCTV I should clarify that I'm mostly referring to the Closed Circuit aspect. I would think the hard-wired setup would allow for higher resolution recording. Of course it would be great if it was IP capable. I can deal with less resolution over the internet as long as the actual recording is of high quality.

Your input has been very helpful. I'll start researching HD IP camera systems.

ck

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 12:27:22 PM PST
Hi Christopher,

You should know that a hardwired camera doesn't mean you'll get better resolution. You need to look at the specs of the camera to see what the resolution output will be. Wireless can transfer HD quality video assuming everything is setup correctly. Cheers!

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 8:10:35 AM PST
nn1k3 says:
Excellent and fair review, but I have two minor comments on the review:
1) The reviewer said "you can't plug ... into a power strip." Yes you can - just use a cheap power strip without surge protection.
2) The reviewer said "the zones are only square. I wish you could make angles as well." True, but you can assign several square zones that approximate an angle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 2:02:00 PM PST
Can you mix cameras in a system with Blue Iris........like an old Logitech Wilife indoor cam and a couple of new Logitech 700s ??
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›