4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, interesting first novel, October 19, 2006
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Hardcover)
Summary, no spoilers.

This is the story of Camille Preaker, who works as a reporter for a newspaper in Chicago. She has been assigned to cover the story of a possible child serial killer in a small town in Missouri. She was given this story mainly because this small town happens to be her hometown.

We know that Camille is a physically beautiful, but very troubled young woman. We know that she does not want to go home, and throughout the course of this disturbing novel we find out why.

I found this to be a very interesting story, and a page-turner which is high compliment. This book does an excellent job of showing the repercussions of child abuse, and what life is like in a small town.

The only reason this book did not get 5 stars is the mystery aspect. I cannot say more without a spoiler, but I found that part of the resolution improbable for a variety of reasons.

Still, this is a suspenseful, *different* book, and I think that the character of Camille Preaker will stay with me for a long time. I would definitely give Gillian Flynn another try.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2007 10:01:13 AM PST
Laurelnd says:
Thanks for a great review. I am encouraged to buy the book by hearing another, obviously literate, reader call it a page turner. (Stephen King gives too many blurbs these days; I don't trust him anymore!) I also appreciate the "no spoiler" aspect of the revew. I too may find the twist at the ending improbable, but this review helps me see that it will be a good ride getting to it. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 1, 2007 3:13:52 PM PDT
T. Engle says:
I also totally agree, the "mystery" aspect was the only weakness...there aren't exactly a lot of suspects, but I still found the final twist a bit surprising.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 12:44:46 AM PDT

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 8:08:46 AM PST
Wayne Price says:
The final solution is so improbable that it undercuts (!) the whole story, making anything more than a star or two unjustified. Some little observations. Wind Gap is in the bootheel of Missouri, down below St. Louis, clear across the state from Kansas City, but the detective comes from Kansas City. Hmmm. The little town has about 2,500 inhabitants, but has eleven bars, plus a great big school system. Doesn't figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 11:41:01 AM PDT
Jenny German says:
I agree that the last twist was a bit too much. It made what otherwise was a great story somewhat contrived.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 7:48:47 AM PDT
Debra says:
I liked the ending..

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 6:12:42 AM PDT
The book is well written but so dark, it left me depressed for days. I agree the ending is a little difficult to believe and left me a little cold.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (2,500 customer reviews)
 (1,190)