Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Now Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Unflinching honesty, September 18, 2008
This review is from: Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity (Paperback)
Atheists are often accused of not taking Christianity seriously. If we would only read the bible with an open mind, we would be impressed with its wonderful truths, believers often tell us. And it is a fact that many (perhaps most) atheists don't want to bother with biblical or theological studies -- why should they? -- but this is not true of John Loftus. John has taken the claims of Christianity seriously, diving in with both feet (full immersion atheism!), unflinchingly examining the exact sources that believers urge us to ponder. What more do they want? When you read Loftus's penetrating analyses, you have no choice but to discard the truth claims of Christianity. Some might try to argue, nevertheless, that Christianity is useful -- but the most important question that can be asked of any religion is, "Is it TRUE?" Finishing John's book, I am now more convinced than ever that it is not. As a former evangelical preacher myself who can identify with the agony John was forced to endure as he methodically rebuilt his world view, I agree that atheism is not only defensible, it is liberating.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2008 3:33:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2008 3:35:07 PM PDT
BlairC777 says:
Dan, I don't understand the frequent references to honesty. After all, both you AND John admit that you lied to your congregations and continued to preach after you no longer believed.

I believe you even mention a case where you kept up the show to be sure you got your airline ticket back home!

Come on, Danny, who ya kiddin?

And in John's case, he offers no proof whatsoever of the events surrounding his deconversion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 2:23:55 PM PDT
KC James,
If he were writing in reverse, as a former atheist speaker who converted to Christianity, would you believe him? If so, then you are showing that you will accept only the accounts which appeal to your bias, and while that is very human, it is also most illogical and your opinion must be regarded as such.

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 2:35:27 PM PDT
Dear Mr.Barker,
First, let me say that I can't wait to read your book. I have seen you several times on Youtube (I believe as part of an atheist call in show in Austin, Texas). You are a fanastic and very knowledgeable speaker, and this is one of the best reviews about this book that I have read. I grew up in a Jewish/Catholic home so I know that my experience probably is not as overwhelming as one who had grown up in an Evangelical environment (I went to an Assembly of God church one time with a friend and it scared the hell out of me...but not in the way they wanted! To me, all of the people inducing their own convulsions and babbling and twitching on the floor made the RCC look as sane as Vulcans! One "service" was more than enough for me. I felt like I was in Jonestown waiting for the punch). You are very brave to speak out about your experiences and all of us who are Rationalists and have freed our minds from the matrix of religion are grateful to you.
Like you, I took the challenge of reading the Bible and actually examining the basis for the faith very seriously. I tried, prayed, struggled, and basically developed OCD trying to force myself into accepting the irrationality that is Christianity. In the end, I had a choice between my sanity and following my reason or abandoning everything I knew to be reality and trying to be a blind, unquestioning sheep. It's pretty obvious which one I chose. Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to buying and reading your book. Keep up the good work of freeing minds, Neo!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2009 5:59:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2009 5:59:43 AM PDT
Isn't it becoming blatantly obvious that this KC James character is the "stalker" that Loftus mentioned in other posts? This idiot adds a comment to EVERY SINGLE POST. Why? Who does that? Who on EARTH would dedicate that much time to responding to reviews and their subsequent comments? This person should be reported and have their account revoked. I am willing to bet anything that the person who wrote this, "KC James" is the SAME person who gave the book 1 and 2 stars, but he made separate accounts to do so.
Someone kick this idiot off? For real -
Think about it - if you add up all the comments this person has made, we're talking about hours upon hours spent typing! Sounds like "stalker" mentality to me? I think Loftus is right - he has a fan (though a rather brainless one with an obvious agenda.)
So KC - give it a rest already? Get a life, a job, a hobby? Something? Because this behavior speaks of serious mental illness.
I'm tempted to track your IP. It can be done, trust me.

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 2:04:16 PM PDT
Paul says:
Unflinching, I have to take exception to this:

((And it is a fact that many (perhaps most) atheists don't want to bother with biblical or theological studies -- why should they? -- but this is not true of John Loftus.))

While this is true for me (I was raised without religion), most atheists are deconverts, and an awful lot of deconverts go through an apologetics phase in which they desperately try to cling to their slipping faith. Others are actually deconverted by studying apologetics. I am the exception: most other atheists I've met are more knowledgeable about the Bible and Christian apologetics than Christians, precisely because they went through something not too dissimilar from what mister Loftus went through.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 6:27:21 AM PST
Mr. Barker;

Appreciate your comments. I plan on picking up a copy - the price seems quite reasonable.. Cheers

Posted on May 28, 2010 10:16:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2010 10:24:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 10:17:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2010 10:25:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 12:57:47 AM PDT
D. Anderson says:
Mr. Barker's concern over honesty is precisely because he has seen and even participated in the dishonesty of Christianity. This is why it is so important to him to pull back the curtain and be honest now.

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 9:31:48 PM PDT