5.0 out of 5 stars like a fine wine, it gets even better with age, October 3, 2000
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
I'm troubled that many young people in these reviews don't seem to appreciate this novel. Even when "forced" to read it in high school, I loved it. I've read it for probably the tenth time recently and I can say that every single time it's better than I remembered it. I was prompted by the character is Haruki Murakami's book Norwegian Wood who carries it with him and reads it to cheer him up. This narrator calls it the most perfect book ever written and says that you cannot find a page that's not perfect. I have to agree -- it's not just the plot, it's the beautiful writing and incredible characters and scenes that stay with you years later. Even after years, who can forget the scene when Gatsby shows Nick all his custom made shirts, or Nick describes his first vision of Daisy by comparing her posture to someone balancing something on his/her chin, or any of Gatsby's parties, or the broken nose -- you get the idea. For some reason, rereading this book reminds me of picking up a relationshp with an old friend. It's so very comforting to read the best prose you can find in English and find that certain passages are almost committed to memory. Don't miss out on this one. If you didn't like it in high school, try it again when your reading tastes mature.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2007 10:20:27 AM PDT
M. Klein says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 6:51:46 PM PST
aphra says:
Unless one is willing to alter theri perception. Again, oneis always in control of their attitude

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 12:00:14 AM PST
molly says:
Sure they do.

Posted on Jan 25, 2008 3:12:41 PM PST
Graham says:
Umm, in the edition I have, it is Jordan, not Daisy, who is so memorably introduced with her chin raised "as if she were balancing something on it." regards - Graham

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 1:23:19 PM PST
This is a good review. It hits the nail on the head. My kudos to Bayliss.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 9:31:07 AM PST
Craig Bowers says:
I actually disagree with this. Many of my favorite books are ones that I never would have read except that they were required by a professor.

Posted on Feb 12, 2008 9:33:25 AM PST
Craig Bowers says:
I understand that often people's tastes do change as they age, but even though I am only in my mid-twenties I cannot handle this book and I feel as though you should respect those who do not enjoy it whatsoever and find it bad. I respect that you like it. And to hint that you feel that those who do not like it need to wait until their "reading tastes mature" I would like to point out that my favorite author is Virginia Woolf and I believe her writing to be quite mature, thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2009 5:18:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2009 5:18:34 PM PDT
Great review. But Gatsby isnt for everyone. People with an eye for artful prose will see its true beauty. I plan on reading Gatsby again sometime in the near future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 7:59:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2011 4:23:22 PM PST
M. Klein is a hundred percent right. Find a book as good as GATSBY that has NOT been assigned to a high school or college class, and the number of negative Amazon reviews drops by literally 99 percent. If it has not appeared on any list of "best books," there are often no Amazon reviews for it lower than three stars.

People who believe they must finish any book they start are a fertile source of one-star reviews as well, but apparently they don't very often start books that haven't been recommended or assigned to them.

My rule is this: if a book is good enough to be in print 20 or more years after it was first published, I might like reading it. If I start reading it and don't like it, the right thing to do is stop reading it and come back to it later if (and only if) I suspect I might be in the mood for it at last.

Meanwhile, anyone who thinks old books require extra effort because of their old-fashioned style should read only new books, the newer the better. If you know it hurts to hit your thumb with a hammer, don't pick up a hammer and hit your thumb with it.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 10:07:10 AM PST
Y. Le says:
In my humble opinion, I believe when reading a book you either "connect" to it, or you don't. I love the book because it resonates somewhere... Like a missing puzzle piece in my mind was finally found after reading this book. Whether young or seasoned, it's whatever your flavor.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (5,081 customer reviews)
 (2,913)